No Man's Sky

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>

Here's a reupload of some of the video. Sure it'll be down again soon as well but here you go.

~30 mins of gameplay.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I watched the first video of the intro but didn't look at anything beyond that. This game will probably be disappointing enough that I don't want the one cool part, the visuals, to be spoiled before I ever touch it.
I'm more concerned about making sure people who want to get some sort of idea what they're buying into, since so little real information is out there.

But I dig your position as well.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Honestly I am just hoping it will eventually support PSVR and be a cool thing to roam around in for 30 minutes every once in a while.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'm like 5 minutes in on the video.

I think the casual minecraft / star <insert scifi show> / collector explorer types are going to eat this up.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
While I don't think this particular game is great or anything, after watching that video it does seem like they have some interesting ideas and some decent bones in the game to build on. I feel that adding a few more layers to the game play and player interaction and you could have a pretty bitch'n mmo.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Does anyone have a link that works to the leaked gameplay video? Seems Youtube is shooting them down as fast as they pop up.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
here's one [video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kER02MJzVks[/video]

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Thank you kindly. I fear I will lose a huge chunk of my spare time to this for the rest of the year....

TheYanger

Bronze Knight of the Realm
This game looks so fucking awful. What a great idea with such mediocre looking gameplay, and as much as people envision this true open world with all kinds of crazy shit, the reality is we've seen the majority of what you do in videos and it all looks half-assed and simplistic. It's ridiculous reading posts over on Gaf (banned atm, can't respond, maybe a blesisng) where people see a cliff and go "MAN I WANT TO JUMPDOWN AND SEE WHATS DOWN THERE"....Wakandan this game has 18 quadrillion procedurally generated worlds. All you're going to find at the bottom of a fucking cliff is the god damn floor. You're not going to find strange alient worlds with badass ancient civilizations on them, you're going to find procedurally generated plant formations made of plants that look the same as one of the 5 types of plants you found everywhere else. Maybe they're bigger on this world. WOOOOO.

Waiting for the meltdowns to begin when people realize this isn't even Spore level. The lack of multiplayer makes it infinitely worse too, other survival games on PC basically rely on either being a roguelike, or having multiplayer communities to drive them, because the basic gameplay is usually very lacking. At the end of the day, the number of planets and stars and everything else is just fluff, it doesn't add to the game to have that many, if they had a few hundred and actually focused on making say 25% of them be legitimately interesting planets it would've gone a lot farther than generating a virtual infinity of them that are 99.99% pointless.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I like the looks of it, but it is ofc subjective. Some people drool over hyper realistic space games, I prefer some colour in mine.

From what Ive read this is Subnautica in space with a metric fuckton of planets, randomly generated factions (including alien factions) that you can join/fight/trade with. Considering that I have yet to find any reason to go "online" in Elite Dangerous, I doubt the lack of coordinated co-op will have any impact on me. We have seen videos of monoliths/portals/ruins so I think you are off with "not going to find strange alien worlds with badass ancient civilizations".

That being said, this will not be "EVE 2, the FPS/Sim version" and I think you are right when you say we will see meltdowns from people who somehow have failed to read up on the game. The expectations some people have for this game are scary.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I think the people this will appeal to the most are people who like rogue-likes, honestly.

Its not really Subnautica in Space because you can't build bases in it.

Just upgrade your ship, suit and equipment.

I dunno.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I get the feeling personally my kids will enjoy this way more than I will.

• 1Like

Hosix

All labs matter!
hodj said it best....

Cautiously optimistic...I think my oldest son will like it. But the youngest and I? Meh....

I like the looks of it, but it is ofc subjective. Some people drool over hyper realistic space games, I prefer some colour in mine.

From what Ive read this is Subnautica in space with a metric fuckton of planets, randomly generated factions (including alien factions) that you can join/fight/trade with. Considering that I have yet to find any reason to go "online" in Elite Dangerous, I doubt the lack of coordinated co-op will have any impact on me. We have seen videos of monoliths/portals/ruins so I think you are off with "not going to find strange alien worlds with badass ancient civilizations".

That being said, this will not be "EVE 2, the FPS/Sim version" and I think you are right when you say we will see meltdowns from people who somehow have failed to read up on the game. The expectations some people have for this game are scary.
SubNautica looks like the right comparison to make.
I didn't say there aren't ruins, but there's a difference between randomly generated stupid shit like ruins and crashed ships, and actual crafted 'ancient civilizations' that you can infer things about and learn about.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
SubNautica looks like the right comparison to make.
I didn't say there aren't ruins, but there's a difference between randomly generated stupid shit like ruins and crashed ships, and actual crafted 'ancient civilizations' that you can infer things about and learn about.

Well there is at least one: 2:20 forwards .

But I agree with you, it will most likely not be a huge handcrafted backstorys all over the place. My guess is that what they show in the video is the only "quest" in the game and is a trail to just WHY you aim to go to the center of the universe/galaxy.

I don't know. I just get the feeling that it will be boring or at the very least, I will lose desire to play after a month or so. It reminds me of an MMO being played solo, which translates to a pile of crap from my experience. I really want to like this game for some reason though. I just wish they would have allowed multiplayer. I know its not going to happen, but it would have sold me.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
I don't know. I just get the feeling that it will be boring or at the very least, I will lose desire to play after a month or so. It reminds me of an MMO being played solo, which translates to a pile of crap from my experience. I really want to like this game for some reason though. I just wish they would have allowed multiplayer. I know its not going to happen, but it would have sold me.

I get what you are saying. On the other hand, I see this as a single player experience so (just like with Elite) I will follow some forums, sit in chat party with some other friends who are going to play it and enjoy the ride. Not all games have to be MMOs or co-op to be enjoyable for what they are.

If they add on more multiplayer support later, maybe like teleport to your friends, it would be pretty niffty certainly but for a small indie developer with a small number of devs working on the project... In my opinion its better that they get the game out first, then start tinkering with additional features.

Look at the similar games;

Elite released as a very very barebones space-sim that they have slowly been adding stuff to. Now you can land on airless planets/moons and drive around with your little rover, and they are planning for atmospheric planets and walking around. It still does not have much in the way of content unless you like trucking trade items between systems, explore stuff just to explore and get credit for being the first to discover new things, and simple combat missions/areas if you want to pew pew, but they have a rather stable foundation to build more content on if they can manage.

Star Citizen aims to release everything at once so we are stuck with a "pre-alpha" where you can try out some of the systems that will be in the full game but currently it is hardly stable and very limited. They also have a game in the game, module, for furrball fighting with your ship. It has taken them 5 years aprox to get to that stage and it will likely take them quite a bit more to get everything they have stated will be in the game ready for release.

For myself, I belive its better to go with a solid foundation that people can play and go from there.

(Sorry for the wall of text...)

• 1Like