No Man's Sky

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Has anyone let their Normandy fail a mission and break yet? Is there a unique structure for the repair stuff?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Got the Normandy this weekend but am having a bitch of a time finishing the full expedition. I cannot for the life of me find 10 unexplored systems. Whose supid idea was this to have a resourse of escalating scarcity as a multiplayer requirement?

Edit: Finally started getting them jumping 8500 LY in a random direction away from the galactic center. Still a weak mechanic.

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Got the Normandy this weekend but am having a bitch of a time finishing the full expedition. I cannot for the life of me find 10 unexplored systems. Whose supid idea was this to have a resourse of escalating scarcity as a multiplayer requirement?

Edit: Finally started getting them jumping 8500 LY in a random direction away from the galactic center. Still a weak mechanic.

That's what I did. I finally started paying enough attention to understand my ship upgrades and made it so my ship can jump like 800+ ly at a time (had only been jumping w/ my freighter before), and went away from the galactic center. When I hit an unexplored I'd hit some of the others close to it, rinse and repeat.

spronk

FPS noob
lol the assholes at Hello Games shut off the expedition stuff so you can't get the Normandy anymore, even though it was supposed to go on until May 31st. lotta people pissed.

technically the expedition does continue on until tomorrow, but some bullshit about how you need 24 hours to do it so if you didn't have a game started before today, you can't start a new one. malarky! i don't give enough fucks to care, and it sounds like it takes at least 2-3 hours to speed run it for the normandy

Captain Suave

So how much of the expedition things do you have to do to get the ship? All of them?
You have to complete the fifth milestone. It's possible to skip some steps 1-4, though some may be required. It took me about 5.5 hours to complete everything, and I'm sure it could have been significantly faster.

lol the assholes at Hello Games... if you didn't have a game started before today, you can't start a new one

That's some bullshit. Guess I got in under the wire by accident. Only started last night.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I started the season maybe 5 days after it opened and didn't have really any troubles. After I got off planet I just visited a bunch of public bases and "borrowed" enough indium to buy all the fuel I needed for every phase.
When warping to the next milestone, instead of following the line the game gives you, I jumped off angle a bit but still in the general direction. I think I had 5 system discoveries by the time I got to milestone 5. From there I just went sideways from the milestone path and had the remaining discoveries in a couple jumps. Everything except the undiscovered systems task I got from visiting public bases which had the side effect of saving warp fuel. I didn't even set down my own first base until after I finished. I just harvested from other people's bases.

Of course, if just getting the rewards is your goal and not actually "playing" the expedition, you could just download a save editor and fill your ship with warp fuel and jump upgrades and finish in an hour or so.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I was never able to get to the 3rd rendezvous and I made a lot of fucking jumps.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
They keep on giving, new update. Mostly visual improvement this time around rather than gameplay stuff. Still very impressive.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Makes sense, since the DLSS update isn't live yet, this must be the result of the rest of that effort.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Thinking of getting this. 30$ ATM, does it ever go much cheaper than that, or is that a reasonable price for what I'm getting. Always thought this game looked cool, but also thought it needed a few years to simmer in the pot before I needed to buy/play it.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Thinking of getting this. 30$ ATM, does it ever go much cheaper than that, or is that a reasonable price for what I'm getting. Always thought this game looked cool, but also thought it needed a few years to simmer in the pot before I needed to buy/play it.

I'd say that's reasonable, it doesn't often get much cheaper.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
So my screen is flickering and monitors flipping out and the game isn't responding. Goes on a couple mins and then it actually fucking crashed my computer, which hasn't happened in years. Is this normal, and how do I fix it.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I'm getting some strangeness with this patch too. Try and dial back all the visual settings and then inch things up, think something might need to be fixed after this recent patch. When I use photo mode it takes like 90 seconds for the game to start responding again, lol. First time I loaded it it crashed after loading my ship.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The problem is that when you're in fullscreen mode it defaults the highest refresh rate of your monitor and you can't change it.

Go into the settings file and change to borderless if your desktop is something other than the max refresh rate of your monitor. Borderless is probably a good idea anyway if the game flips out, easier to tab out.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
The problem is that when you're in fullscreen mode it defaults the highest refresh rate of your monitor and you can't change it.

Go into the settings file and change to borderless if your desktop is something other than the max refresh rate of your monitor. Borderless is probably a good idea anyway if the game flips out, easier to tab out.
It doesn't work borderless or bordered. My monitors are all set at max refresh rate. Tried it on every monitor. It flips out and makes my monitors flicker like its changing resolution. All the other programs I have running get pushed around from screen to screen. If I try to run it on side screens, the game will jump from screen to screen strangely. Changed my primary monitor and what not.

Real annoying that you have to get in game and on a planet to change settings and see their effects. Why not in the main menu? My only option is to edit the file and then load up. By the time I make it to a planet surface I'm nearing crash territory. I'll fiddle with it a bit more, but this might be my second return ever if it keeps up.

Edit: Tried a few more things, pretty much everything I can think of and everything recommended on searching for similar problems. Nothing worked. Refunded.

Last edited:

Captain Suave

Wow. DLSS gets me from 60-70 fps to 90-100 at 1440p in heavy demand environments on my 2070 Super (borderless works fine). I'll take it.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I'm frequently getting 140+ w/ a 3090/5800x at 5120x1440 with it set to quality. It's pretty amazing.

20210603134135_1.jpg
20210603133512_1.jpg
20210603133616_1.jpg