No Man's Sky

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Finished expedition 3. Kind of boring being all on one planet and, other than taming one creature, not focusing on newer content. Rewards are meh too but I guess giving everyone an exotic ship is probably the real reward for lazy players.

I don't think it's entirely fair to compare NMS to Terraria. It's more Minecraft or Stardew Valley in space where your only progression is exploring, building, and tools to explore/build faster/safer. I mean, there's what, 3 things to fight (4 if you count pirate ships) so clearly combat isn't a main focus of the game.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Finished the expedition yesterday.
Going to work on finding a decent paradise planet in blue star system to build my primary base in, while building up my settlement which really just seems like a riff on WoW garrisons.

Anyone know if you can ditch the initial settlement and find one on a more ideal planet? Or can you have more than one?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Finished the expedition yesterday.
Going to work on finding a decent paradise planet in blue star system to build my primary base in, while building up my settlement which really just seems like a riff on WoW garrisons.

Anyone know if you can ditch the initial settlement and find one on a more ideal planet? Or can you have more than one?
Can only have one settlement. You buy a map from the cartographer for 15 nav data and use it on the world you want your settlement to be on to change the settlement location.

I only just started NMS a couple weeks ago. What about a blue star makes it a desirable location?

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Activated Indium farm, maybe? Been a little while since I've played it, but that stuff sells really well for credits.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed my time with the game and definitely got the $30 I paid out of it, but it’s not the kind of game I can enjoy for hundreds of hours. It’s feature rich but so many features are silo’d and stack next to each other instead of on top of each other like an integrated system.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Can only have one settlement. You buy a map from the cartographer for 15 nav data and use it on the world you want your settlement to be on to change the settlement location.

I only just started NMS a couple weeks ago. What about a blue star makes it a desirable location?

Thanks for the heads up on the map. Once I figure out how to abandon my current settlement that's the route I'll go.

Blue stars have indium, which is the best for refining chromatic metal very quickly. If it's close to the galactic core, the planets also typically have other favorable components as well. Ideally would want to find one near the core with decent weather, landmass, and resources nodes for automated mining and gas gathering.

I'm not opposed to having a wasteland mining facility set up too, with a more pastoral home base to "get away to" but that involves loading screens as you warp from one to another.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the heads up on the map. Once I figure out how to abandon my current settlement that's the route I'll go.

Blue stars have indium, which is the best for refining chromatic metal very quickly. If it's close to the galactic core, the planets also typically have other favorable components as well. Ideally would want to find one near the core with decent weather, landmass, and resources nodes for automated mining and gas gathering.

I'm not opposed to having a wasteland mining facility set up too, with a more pastoral home base to "get away to" but that involves loading screens as you warp from one to another.
I haven’t done it myself, but I don’t think you need to abandon the initial settlement first. I do believe it resets progress when you change settlements. If you’re not opposed to spoilers, you’ll probably save yourself some frustration looking up how to do it :)

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Find a new settlement via map, claim, and you'll automatically swap to the new one. Not sure if they patched it yet but it was buggy if you swapped settlements with any construction or settler excursion active when swapping. You won't always get a settlement on the planet you activate the map on. It can ping anywhere in the system, so save scum unless you have excessive cartographer maps.

Yea, blue planets have indium which sells for the most. Pretty easy once you find suitable power and indium hotspots to generate 10s of millions of credits a day. I think you can only find activated indium, which sells for the most, on planets with severe storms so not sure you can get true paradise planets for your indium mine. Definitely easier managing your settlement on nice weather planets though. You unlock a teleporter at the settlement within the first couple steps so no real need to have a settlement, mining base, and/or decorative base anywhere near each other.

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
Recently repurchased this game for pc because I love their commitment and it's fun as hell to spark one and futz around for a while. I play it pretty frequently so if you want to mess around sometime I'm Pysek on xbox/pc gamepass if we're not friends already.

• 1Like

pysek

<Gold Donor>
Oh shit that's awesome. I love my wormy jetpack trail. I'm in.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I have to restart a whole new game. One thing I don't like about NMS, is once you build up a nice base, go through all the story, etc etc, and have a nice ship and all that they then at some point decide to redo a lot of the planets, and stuff, and my base ends up being eaten up, my ships look fucked up (even graphically -- they are just broken and wrong) and my base ends up being completely unusable.

I really don't like that part of this game, and kinda makes me not want to spend so much time creating a base over and over again.

• 1Like

pysek

<Gold Donor>
Happened to me last time, too, had a real nice cave base and they ruined my planet. But now I'm on an even nicer planet with a thriving settlement below me, so it worked out.

• 1Like

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I try not to get to attached to anything, I'm planning on completing the expeditions as they come out for the trophies and ships, but the base building aspect of things isn't something I try to settle into for the reasons you guys mention.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
1638123930896.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users