[NO Spoilers] Star Wars: Episode 7 - NO PUSSY SHIT

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
This thread is amusing, id imagine how many of youd commit suicide if they announced a complete reboot of the original trilogy to be directed by Michael Bay.
Ehh I just wouldn't watch it. I have also never seen a transformer movie, or a GI Joe movie, or any other movie that panders to my nostalgia feels. Hell I have only seen the prequels once. Lucas just made some damn fine video games in there.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Wasn't Pain & Gain a michael bay film? He has the potential to make good movies, it couldn't be any worse than Lucas helming the prequels tbh.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Because you go from cannon fodder TIE fighter pilot to piloting super advanced TIE defenders (the picture Tuco posted) and missile boats (all time best fucking ship ever) as you rank up. The original doctrine of the Empire was to concentrate firepower in the giant capital Star Destroyers and super Star Destroyers. This bigger faster harder doctrine culminated with the Death Star. Small one man fighters were seen as totally inconsequential and the pilots were not protected because a giant evil galaxy spanning empire doesn't care about losing one pilot per ship when they have countless more to spare. Starting with the TIE interceptor (4 blasters like an X-wing instead of the 2 a normal TIE fighter had) and TIE advanced (4 blasters, plus shields and a hyperdrive), these later designs were put into production to counter the small fighter vulnerability that led to the Death Star being blown up. There was even a frigate called the Lancer class that was designed specifically to shoot down fighters.
Those are all reasonable sounding words to retroactively explain away the existence of a ship without shields that had to fight a ship with shields just to allow the protagonists who had the shields to destroy tie fighters left and right.

It's not like the original team sat around and said, "Okay, the empire has the best tech and strongest weapons except in the case of their small fighters because they forgot how important fighters were as a result of being so dominant for about 5 years. So we'll have the bulk of their fighters get destroyed in two hits while everyone else gets destroyed in 20 hits.". No, the original team said, "Okay we have a big battle, the good guys need to blow up a bunch of fighters, but they have shields so we can show them be in increasing danger until the final scene."

It's a fun mechanic and makes for good storytelling, just people give too much credit and buy bullshit too easily, take it for what it is, a silly part of the fiction and enjoy it.

Also the missile boats were fucking dumb. "we can only put 2 missiles on our best fighters. Let's put 100 missiles on this fighter and then give me the ability to go like twice as fast as anyone else also the emperor says not to use it anymore after the player finishes the game because even the emperor thinks this ship is too OP"

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I actually do think Lucas did sit around and think up reasons for the way things were the way they were when he they created original Star Wars. Those reasons though do also conform to his desired narrative of a Dog, Cat, Mouse situation where rebel cats run from the big imperial dog star destroyers but can fight against the imperial mice tie fighter. Star Destroyers, Leia's ship, Millennium Falcon, Death Star, Tie Fighters, X and Y wings, even fact of R2D2 being a astromech droid do show just how obsessed original Star Wars was with spacecraft. Then consider the thousands of hours of special effects work using stop motion animation to film the scenes with those ships. Lucas had plenty of free time to figure out a explanation of why the ships were the way they were.

Caliane

I actually do think Lucas did sit around and think up reasons for the way things were the way they were when he they created original Star Wars. Those reasons though do also conform to his desired narrative of a Dog, Cat, Mouse situation where rebel cats run from the big imperial dog star destroyers but can fight against the imperial mice tie fighter. Star Destroyers, Leia's ship, Millennium Falcon, Death Star, Tie Fighters, X and Y wings, even fact of R2D2 being a astromech droid do show just how obsessed original Star Wars was with spacecraft. Then consider the thousands of hours of special effects work using stop motion animation to film the scenes with those ships. Lucas had plenty of free time to figure out a explanation of why the ships were the way they were.
Lucas? nah. Is not responsible for any of that kind of shit. that is a guy that just made up"Luke I am your father" two days before they shot the scene.
Ships and crap were McQuarrie, and/or ILM guys.
in ILM's case, it was, "what can we find at radioshack and Sears cheap to make neat shit with?"

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
There's clearly a parallel with the WW2 aircraft in the pacific. Someone else mentioned earlier in this thread.

Zeros = light un-armoured but highly agile and could win a close-in scrap.

US planes = heavier, more powerful guns+engines. crew protection.

Zeros won more battles early, but once the US crews learnt to use their crafts strengths, the balance quickly turned.

Lucas did enough research of WW2 battles and tactics to have worked out scenarios that could be transferred to his Star Wars future* setting. The guys using gun turrets on the Falcon shooting TIE's is straight from B17's over Germany, I pretty sure an early temp edit used WW2 footage.

So yeah I'm sure that the fighter strength/weakness was highly likely to be based on Pacific theater WW2.

* yeah long long time ago, galaxy far away - but you know what I mean.

Arakkis

N00b
Those are all reasonable sounding words to retroactively explain away the existence of a ship without shields that had to fight a ship with shields just to allow the protagonists who had the shields to destroy tie fighters left and right.

It's not like the original team sat around and said, "Okay, the empire has the best tech and strongest weapons except in the case of their small fighters because they forgot how important fighters were as a result of being so dominant for about 5 years. So we'll have the bulk of their fighters get destroyed in two hits while everyone else gets destroyed in 20 hits.". No, the original team said, "Okay we have a big battle, the good guys need to blow up a bunch of fighters, but they have shields so we can show them be in increasing danger until the final scene."

It's a fun mechanic and makes for good storytelling, just people give too much credit and buy bullshit too easily, take it for what it is, a silly part of the fiction and enjoy it.

Also the missile boats were fucking dumb. "we can only put 2 missiles on our best fighters. Let's put 100 missiles on this fighter and then give me the ability to go like twice as fast as anyone else also the emperor says not to use it anymore after the player finishes the game because even the emperor thinks this ship is too OP"
Wakandan you gay

Remember the opening scene of the original Star Wars? The giant monolithic Star Destroyer that seemed to go on forever? And then you cut to a hallway where troops are taking cover. The tactics of the Empire are just to throw faceless stormtrooper after stormtrooper through a single doorway until they finally win. Then when we see Vader for the first time he steps over stormtrooper bodies without even looking down. All of this is done to imply the lack of care for life the evil Empire has. The TIE fighters are simply another extension of this idea.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Rebel privilege is having someone care if you get blasted in the chest (lol stormtrooper armor!) or blown out of space in your shitty no-shields fighter.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Normally I'd agree; but Lucas was a WW2 nut. I mean, the guy is a WW2 plane fanatic. People often say the "Empire" was WW2 Germany, but it's navy was a copy of Imperial Japan. Zeroes, disposable pilots (Kamikaze) and an emphasis on heavy armored battleships. Eventually beaten by an opponent who placed more emphasis on stronger aircraft, better pilots and faster, smaller capital ships combined with carriers.

I mean, yes, visually; you're right about the reason why they did it. But the actual concept for why Tie Fighters sucked was in place since Lucas emphasized atmospheric flight models in space.

There's clearly a parallel with the WW2 aircraft in the pacific. Someone else mentioned earlier in this thread..
Yeah, I spoke about it a little bit ago. Lucas does all kinds of homages to WW2 serials, and has had a huge, well known fetish for WW2 air combat--he's called WW2 pilots the "knights of their age". The Empire is a mixture of Imperial Japan and Germany. I mean; Storm Troopers, Fantastic Super Weapon? Germany. Tie fighters with huge battle ships? Japan (Super Star Destroyer=Yamato; except Yamato never saw action heh).

Essentially most of Lucas' space scenes were old WW2 movies and battles with space ships instead. Even the "Death Star Run" was a shot for shot remake of a bombing run in a WW2 serial.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I'm surprised the EU isn't more fucked up and filled with contradictions than it already is. Some of the authors that did EU stuff are horrible. Kevin J Anderson is the worst kind of fucking hack.What he has done to Dunemakes me want to kill babies.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Characters's names revealed:

(Not sure if this constitutes as a spoiler, so spoilered it just in case. Only reveals names and no plot details.)

John Boyega is Finn, Daisy Ridley is Rey, Oscar Isaac is Poe Dameron, the dark figure with the lightsaber is Kylo Ren, and the soccer ball droid is BB-8 (short for Bryan Burk perhaps?).

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
Characters's names revealed:

(Not sure if this constitutes as a spoiler, so spoilered it just in case. Only reveals names and no plot details.)
They were revealed onEW's websiteand came in the form of cards from Abrams himself so I think we are safe.

Example
Poe-Dameron.jpg

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
There's clearly a parallel with the WW2 aircraft in the pacific. Someone else mentioned earlier in this thread.

Zeros = light un-armoured but highly agile and could win a close-in scrap.

US planes = heavier, more powerful guns+engines. crew protection.

Zeros won more battles early, but once the US crews learnt to use their crafts strengths, the balance quickly turned.

Lucas did enough research of WW2 battles and tactics to have worked out scenarios that could be transferred to his Star Wars future* setting. The guys using gun turrets on the Falcon shooting TIE's is straight from B17's over Germany, I pretty sure an early temp edit used WW2 footage.

So yeah I'm sure that the fighter strength/weakness was highly likely to be based on Pacific theater WW2.

* yeah long long time ago, galaxy far away - but you know what I mean.
There are a few videos on it. I find this one my entertaining.

And for fun.

Learning: