[NO Spoilers] Star Wars: Episode 7 - NO PUSSY SHIT

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Well, if anyone cares about the EU explanation for Tie fighters, I believe they switched to them (from whatever they were using in the clone wars) as a political favor to an ass kissing moff who had no tactical sense at all, but knew how to keep systems in line. The Emp didn't give a shit because he believed all he needed was the dark side and some pawns to rule. Later versions were supposed to have shields and hyper drives (Vader's craft was one of the prototypes) but the empire fell before they went into production. Not to mention, in 99% of engagements, the TIE fighters were perfectly fine, as no one but the rebels ever put up a real fight. TIEs ripped through planetary defense forces like a hot vibroknife through bantha butter. Oh yeah, and I think whoever designed the X wings for the rebellion was basically a genius, and that's why the Xwings were so advanced.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was thinking. John Fucking Williams is 82 years old now. Let's face it, he's going to kick the bucket one day, so I started thinking. Who the fuck is going to score the sound track? Danny Elfman?
Depending how much input Abrams has after this film (since he won't be directing the other two), my guess would be Michael Giacchino. He seems to be Abrams' go-to guy when it comes to scoring (Lost, Alcatraz, Fringe, Super 8, Alias, both Star Treks). Probably not a bad thing, since I sort of see Giacchino as probably the best shot of following in John Williams' footsteps as it is.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mystery solved.

XL3dgg0.jpg

iannis

Musty Nester
Aren't tie fighters just manned drones. They basically exist to intercept incoming torpedoes, because star destroyers are expensive, yo.

What does tie stand for? Tactical Imperial lEmming, I assume!

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Jesus, you nerds are half assing it.

+1 to Tuco, TIE defender was a beast, and if you never beat Tie Fighter, pardon yourself from the conversation. Anyway, the advanced and defenders were prototypes and only given to elite pilots etc. play the game you fags.

Storm Troopers were not clones, the only clones I was aware of after the Empire formed were the the Emperors clones. And CBoth or whatever his name was.

Also, TIEs were converted to drones with the world devastators. As were ground based tactical droids in Dark Empire II. Which had the Eclipse in it etc etc etc.

Also, fuck you if you don't like Thrawn / Kyp Durron / Norgi

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Every single one of you telling folks they're notreal fansbecause they didn't research a bunch of books and shit about the universe can get in line and suck my dick.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
In the Empire's defence, we only see a very limited sample size of stormtroopers. I'm sure there are hundreds of worlds that were beaten bloody by the Empire that we never see on film. The ones we see are up against the rebel elite so they should fall short. That and the Empire never saw the rebels as a threat. Arrogance = fail.
I understand, and do, in theory, accept what you say, but it still always irks me that the emperor specifically states that an "entire legion" of his "best troops awaits them". And those same "best troops" get pwnd by Care Bears with pointy sticks. And let's not forget Obi Wan's opinion of the accuracy of Storm Troopers:
JXKRh.jpg

The fact is, there are butt-loads of inconstancies in the films and EU. The trick is to not notice them, or use your own imagination to work around them.

For me, I go with the idea that The Empire is a force not to be messed with lightly. Stormtroopers/TIE fighters/Star Destroyers and all that shit are lethal. However, the Rebels win because of a number of factors. Firstly, a combination of "luck" and The Force guiding them to victory. Secondly, they have fucking fantastic troops (except for Porkins). And thirdly, the combination of their own relative small size and manoeuvrability and the Empire's bulk and overconfidence.

Now, I'm not saying that the above view is how it'ssupposed to be. It's just the way I make these inconsistencies work for me. Would be interesting to see how others deal with them.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Read most of the early books. Played the games. Never watched the cartoons. All my knowledge comes from those. Jedi knight 2 was the best and i personally think there should be 8 movies about Kyle Katarn.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, there are a few EU characters that deserve to be in the movies. Katarn is definitely one of them.

Also, I played tie fighter 20 years ago. The only thing I remember from it is the medal award screen. Can someone please share with the rest of the class why the only people allowed to talk about tie fighters are the ones who beat the game?

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Katarn is probably one of my top favourite EU characters. I also seem to remember some good ones in KotOR I and II, though I haven't played those games in fekkin ages so I can't quite remember.

iannis

Musty Nester
You know, all that is is luke's hovercar from New Hope flipped 90 degrees.

I'm sure you DID know that but I don't pay attention to this shit, really. And the cartoon makes it blatant.

Arakkis

N00b
I've been reading this thread and getting madder and madder at how many of you are getting your Star Wars facts wrong. I've even scoffed a few times at the people who obviously have not read any of the SW RPG sourcebooks that clearly answer the questions asked here.

It is at this moment I realized how goddamn fucking nerdy I am holy shit.

Yeah, there are a few EU characters that deserve to be in the movies. Katarn is definitely one of them.

Also, I played tie fighter 20 years ago. The only thing I remember from it is the medal award screen. Can someone please share with the rest of the class why the only people allowed to talk about tie fighters are the ones who beat the game?
Because you go from cannon fodder TIE fighter pilot to piloting super advanced TIE defenders (the picture Tuco posted) and missile boats (all time best fucking ship ever) as you rank up. The original doctrine of the Empire was to concentrate firepower in the giant capital Star Destroyers and super Star Destroyers. This bigger faster harder doctrine culminated with the Death Star. Small one man fighters were seen as totally inconsequential and the pilots were not protected because a giant evil galaxy spanning empire doesn't care about losing one pilot per ship when they have countless more to spare. Starting with the TIE interceptor (4 blasters like an X-wing instead of the 2 a normal TIE fighter had) and TIE advanced (4 blasters, plus shields and a hyperdrive), these later designs were put into production to counter the small fighter vulnerability that led to the Death Star being blown up. There was even a frigate called the Lancer class that was designed specifically to shoot down fighters.

Jesus, you nerds are half assing it.

+1 to Tuco, TIE defender was a beast, and if you never beat Tie Fighter, pardon yourself from the conversation. Anyway, the advanced and defenders were prototypes and only given to elite pilots etc. play the game you fags.

Storm Troopers were not clones, the only clones I was aware of after the Empire formed were the the Emperors clones. And CBoth or whatever his name was.

Also, TIEs were converted to drones with the world devastators. As were ground based tactical droids in Dark Empire II. Which had the Eclipse in it etc etc etc.

Also, fuck you if you don't like Thrawn / Kyp Durron / Norgi
Many of the Stormtroopers in the original Star Wars are still clones, just not all of them. Also, folks need to stop saying clones can't be force sensitive. The entire premise of the Thrawn books (C'boath mentioned above and others) and the Force Unleashed video games are based off of cloning jedi. And yes, the creepy lizard assassin Noghri calling Leia "Lady Vader" were awesome.

Every single one of you telling folks they're notreal fansbecause they didn't research a bunch of books and shit about the universe can get in line and suck my dick.
Word.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I've been reading this thread and getting madder and madder at how many of you are getting your Star Wars facts wrong. I've even scoffed a few times at the people who obviously have not read any of the SW RPG sourcebooks that clearly answer the questions asked here.
Don't get too worked up bro. A few of them are obviously trolling. Just use it as an opportunity to geek out.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm

It is at this moment I realized how goddamn fucking nerdy I am holy shit.

Because you go from cannon fodder TIE fighter pilot to piloting super advanced TIE defenders (the picture Tuco posted) and missile boats (all time best fucking ship ever) as you rank up. The original doctrine of the Empire was to concentrate firepower in the giant capital Star Destroyers and super Star Destroyers. This bigger faster harder doctrine culminated with the Death Star. Small one man fighters were seen as totally inconsequential and the pilots were not protected because a giant evil galaxy spanning empire doesn't care about losing one pilot per ship when they have countless more to spare. Starting with the TIE interceptor (4 blasters like an X-wing instead of the 2 a normal TIE fighter had) and TIE advanced (4 blasters, plus shields and a hyperdrive), these later designs were put into production to counter the small fighter vulnerability that led to the Death Star being blown up. There was even a frigate called the Lancer class that was designed specifically to shoot down fighters.

Many of the Stormtroopers in the original Star Wars are still clones, just not all of them. Also, folks need to stop saying clones can't be force sensitive. The entire premise of the Thrawn books (C'boath mentioned above and others) and the Force Unleashed video games are based off of cloning jedi. And yes, the creepy lizard assassin Noghri calling Leia "Lady Vader" were awesome.

Word.
This guy gets it.