Nope (2022)

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Reddit talking about this. accidently spoiled myself a bit.
They seem to like it quite a bit. And not for the usual reddit reasons.

Instead, "horrific" "visually striking" "like Jaws"
I mean, doesn't reddit give you advise on having advice on having sex with kids?
So I mean, don't put much credit in their opinions, especially when negative ones will be banned.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Juvarisx

Florida
Wife likes horror so we went. This movie has some real disturbing shit and a couple scene will be etched in my brain for awhile. No real jump scares it relies and atmospheric horror, tension and really well done horrific scenes. Woke scale...eh. Its a black cast majority cast but that's Peele's sthick. Its not bashing your head over anything really.

Anyways I'd recommend it if you are a horror fan, its got a couple neat twists on the genre, a super original monster, and is a solid flick.

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Juvarisx

Florida
Curious how do you rank his 3 horror movies?

From my POV as someone who like scary and well made: Nope -> US -> Get Out. I obviously didn't identify with Get Out much and feel the acting was stronger in Us. This beats both of them for me.

This is the first one that actually felt like a horror movie in the traditional sense. Its not so much a movie that has strong things to say about race (Get Out) or class (Us), but themes to both linger a bit. As i said its his least woke film, but again its a Jordan Peele film so you know what you are getting into.

If you can turn your brain off and enjoy it really is a solid horror film. I dont have as strong feeling as some on here when it comes to woke shit, this felt like a movie he wanted to make and casted it the way he wanted. The diversity quota being filled for the sake of filling it or race swapping cause you have to didnt happen.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I dont read much into the woke narrative either. But the trailer just looked so dumb. Given the positive reviews, I may give this a watch now once its on demand.

spronk

FPS noob
apparently adds stuff to the lore" of the movie

not a horror guy, haven't even watched Us so not really my kinda movie anyways. Friend liked it, said it wasn't as good as his other movies but some good stuff ruined by a bad ending. I watched Angry Joe's spoiler review and it does sound vaguely interesting and different but they also didn't like the ending at all.

Kinda weird Variety has to be out there saying "no! its not a disappointment!" lol

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
For me Get out is still his best, followed by Nope then Us.
Yeah, I'd agree. Get Out is his most complete movie although it leaves a lot to be desired. He's got a kind of Stephen King thing going on where he has decent premises but has no idea how to flesh them out into a complete story or end them properly. He also generally gets too far up his own ass with over complicating his story to be able to fall back on horror's ability to push the viewer way beyond their normal suspension of disbelief. In Us he opened the movie by violating "show don't tell", made a decent slasher movie then went giant exposition dump in the third act and turned it into a turd through pacing and by having none of his exposition being relevant towards closing out a horror movie (too much useless information that just served to overcomplicate things).

All of his movie making sins seem to be relatively modern also so it's not like he's a classic horror aficionado trying to revert things back to the old days. He seems like he watched the recent spate of horror remakes that thought we needed to delve into every tiny detail of Leatherface's or Michael Meyers's or whoever's backstory and thought that is what makes good storytelling.

He's a really bad writer and director and I have no clue how he turned into a horror darling beyond him being a rich black kid from an upper class suburb.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I'd agree. Get Out is his most complete movie although it leaves a lot to be desired. He's got a kind of Stephen King thing going on where he has decent premises but has no idea how to flesh them out into a complete story or end them properly. He also generally gets too far up his own ass with over complicating his story to be able to fall back on horror's ability to push the viewer way beyond their normal suspension of disbelief. In Us he opened the movie by violating "show don't tell", made a decent slasher movie then went giant exposition dump in the third act and turned it into a turd through pacing and by having none of his exposition being relevant towards closing out a horror movie (too much useless information that just served to overcomplicate things).

All of his movie making sins seem to be relatively modern also so it's not like he's a classic horror aficionado trying to revert things back to the old days. He seems like he watched the recent spate of horror remakes that thought we needed to delve into every tiny detail of Leatherface's or Michael Meyers's or whoever's backstory and thought that is what makes good storytelling.

He's a really bad writer and director and I have no clue how he turned into a horror darling beyond him being a rich black kid from an upper class suburb.
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I'd just love to be a fly on the wall with Jordan Peele at his psychologist session... dude is RIFE with inner torment about skin color.

Also... anybody have a sextant I can borrow? I can't seem to find my way on the high seas with this one.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
pass.

too many joggers.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
free IMAX ticket to nope with code BADMIRACLE

ymmv, coupon code is regional so once enough people in your area have used it its dead. Only applies towards one ticket

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'd just love to be a fly on the wall with Jordan Peele at his psychologist session... dude is RIFE with inner torment about skin color.

Also... anybody have a sextant I can borrow? I can't seem to find my way on the high seas with this one.

He's half-Jewish, isn't he? Which is probably why he grew up rich in an upper-class neighborhood.

And yeah, there's something really dark about Peele. He's definitely got some issues going on. I've been a fan of his for a long time and it's obvious just from looking at him, going back to Key & Peele.

apparently adds stuff to the lore" of the movie

All of the stuff with the chimp in "Nope" doesn't really feel like it has any relation to the main story of the movie. It's just these weird clips where a nice white middle-class mayberry family is raising a chimp, and everything's all nice and happy, then eventually the chimp flips out and kills everybody.

Maybe it's some kind of allegory for his own upbringing and feeling out of place and/or murderous. Who the fuck knows. I didn't understand that part of the movie. Maybe we have a psychiatrist here who can explain it.

Saw the movie the other day, thought it was a really good and suspenseful movie. However it's about 25 minutes longer than it needed to be, and drags towards the end. But I definitely liked it and think it should be posting bigger numbers than the anemic ones it's getting (lol Variety).

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
i think the theme of the movie is man thinks he controls nature / predators but he really doesn't and it will fuck you over when you get too comfortable. Global warming, all those Tiger King kind of exhibitions, Sea World, the monkey thing in this movie, and of course the main plot of the movie. Its a pretty simple trope though and it doesn't sound like the movie really does a great job of exploring it unlike Jaws, Kon-Tiki, Perfect Storm, etc.

Also makes the ending disappointing, there was an obvious apocalyptic ending the movie SHOULD have gone for to cement that theme but it went campy instead.

• 2Like