North Korea goes full retard

Juvarisx

Florida
Haha, well whats beyond full retard? Cutting the hotline and annulling the peace agreement is whatever that is

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Nothing will happen. No one wants to deal with a few million stone age starving zealots.

Nothing terribly out of the ordinary here...they have to really push the envelope on this latest round of threats and spastic behavior because several things are going on all at once:

1. Unanimous vote for sanctions, obviously including China and Russia
2. US-ROK joint military exercises coming soon. They've always hated these more than just about anything.
3. New ROK president recently sworn in. North Korea loves to remind people of its existence on important dates, etc.

Cancelling that hotline does seem a bit troubling...but if I were a betting man I would wager that there is still some kind of line of communication between the US-ROK command and the North Korean army. You don't sit there on that border with all of that firepower with no way to deal with a miscalculation before the point of no return is reached. There was military to military communication before and during the Yeonpyeong island shelling according to mostly credible looking accounts, for example.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Nothing terribly out of the ordinary here...they have to really push the envelope on this latest round of threats and spastic behavior because several things are going on all at once:

1. Unanimous vote for sanctions, obviously including China and Russia
2. US-ROK joint military exercises coming soon. They've always hated these more than just about anything.
3. New ROK president recently sworn in. North Korea loves to remind people of its existence on important dates, etc.

Cancelling that hotline does seem a bit troubling...but if I were a betting man I would wager that there is still some kind of line of communication between the US-ROK command and the North Korean army. You don't sit there on that border with all of that firepower with no way to deal with a miscalculation before the point of no return is reached. There was military to military communication before and during the Yeonpyeong island shelling according to mostly credible looking accounts, for example.
I'm with you on the Sky-Is-Not-Falling bit, but I'm secretly hoping for fireworks.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Alright. Fine. Let's just invade their shit while they only have a couple of nukes. There's no way out of this without bloodshed.

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yes. That's all great on paper but it's a highly sensitive area. You're talking Vietnam 2.0 except with the complete destruction of South Korea, an enemy military force much larger and much more disciplined, and an American populace that hasn't forgotten the Vietnam War on top of being worn out from the last 12 years of war fatigue from Iraq and Afghanistan. The casualties would be catastrophic both civilian (S.K.) and combatant (U.S.), the American people would protest like we've never seen before, and nothing would really be gained. The only other option is to nuke them into the ground which would cause an international political crisis unlike the world has ever seen. North Korea isn't as stupid as the general view of them is. They know they can make all these bold statements and minor attacks and get away with it because it isn't worth it to anyone to intervene to the extent that would actually stop them. At the same time they aren't stupid enough to actually make shit get real and force the world's hand. So basically a huge stalemate where they continue to talk shit and get ignored while they slowly become a nuclear power and no one will contest it.

satael

Silver Squire
Yes. That's all great on paper but it's a highly sensitive area. You're talking Vietnam 2.0 except with the complete destruction of South Korea, an enemy military force much larger and much more disciplined, and an American populace that hasn't forgotten the Vietnam War on top of being worn out from the last 12 years of war fatigue from Iraq and Afghanistan. The casualties would be catastrophic both civilian (S.K.) and combatant (U.S.), the American people would protest like we've never seen before, and nothing would really be gained. The only other option is to nuke them into the ground which would cause an international political crisis unlike the world has ever seen. North Korea isn't as stupid as the general view of them is. They know they can make all these bold statements and minor attacks and get away with it because it isn't worth it to anyone to intervene to the extent that would actually stop them. At the same time they aren't stupid enough to actually make shit get real and force the world's hand. So basically a huge stalemate where they continue to talk shit and get ignored while they slowly become a nuclear power and no one will contest it.
While Vietnam 2.0 might seem nasty it's Korean 2.0 (which had massive land battles between USA(UN) and China and the only actual air combat between USA and USSR during the Cold War) that would be a real catastrophe (China's decision to suddenly enter the war came as a suprise back then too).

Soriak_sl

shitlord
NK got away with a lot of shit because China protected them. Something about not interfering in internal matters, because China would rather not have other countries get involved in their own little internal disputes... But it seems even China has hit a breaking point.

I'm with RB on this probably being mostly showmanship... but it might also not be. It seems NK has to keep pushing the retard envelope further, and that can't possibly have a good ending.

I disagree with Enob that this would be a drawn-out war. The only reason it'd happen, first of all, is in a coordinated effort involving at the very least China and South Korea (with Russia abstaining?). That's not the kind of firepower you withstand very long. Whether you have mountains and tanks doesn't really matter at that point... they'll have lost that war the moment it begins. Beyond that, I don't see a drawn-out occupation, especially not involving (primarily) US troops. The North Koreans may be brainwashed, but they're not going to mount an insurgency to revenge the death of the dear leader. Keep in mind that they're already screwed (even more than usual) after the crack down on foreign currency some years(?) ago...

On top of that, presumably any occupation would be lead by the Chinese. They're not going to allow a major, ongoing US presence in their backyard.

I also don't see major US protests against such an intervention. Unlike Iraq, where things seemed fishy in the build-up to the war, North Korea is pretty much universally seen as the bad guy. With their recent threats and nuclear tests, they haven't exactly positioned themselves such that people would feel they were a reasonable partner to negotiate with.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Ok of course they're assholes, but look at the pic from that link from the OP. where can I find that print they're holding up? Fucking awesome!

iannis

Musty Nester
I suspect this either ends with China annexing North Korea, or it doesn't end.

I can't see why China would WANT to annex North Korea. It would be like the US annexing mexico. We could do it at any time we pleased... but why in the fuck would we, and why would we want to?

So I'm thinking it doesn't end. Maybe China will pull some shit and install a new UnicornGodKing that is more directly their puppet.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
last thing china needs is starving peasants under their jurisdiction and possible trade sanctions for harbouring criminals in NK.

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
bro where will you get your competitively priced, well rounded and competently produced cellphones if you lose us. don't leave us hanging man.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I play E-Sim with South Koreans, it wouldn't be the same without those racist bastards.