North Korea goes full retard

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If China has any power over North Korea at all the Kim's won't be on power much longer.
The problem is that China's power over NK is food. They could starve them easily, but then it's a situation where you're playing chicken with a regime that has shown it's willingness to let thousands or millions of people starve to death rather than risk losing power in the past.

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
Newbie/ignorant question here.

Wouldn't unification between North and South completely decimate the South's economy even if we were flooding cash into the new Korea? It would take awhile for North Korea, even with aid, to catch up to our standards and be competitive. After all it's more than about bringing a third world nation up to par but also integration/de-nazification (or whatever you want to call it) and unlike in previous occurrences - unification of the Germany etc - we have a wider gap in skill and technology (which also means infrastructure). So I am going to guess we're going to have to sustain more than 10 years of aid and god knows what else. Basically, this doesn't seem like something the international community can handle right now nor can South Korea.

So really, would the transition be so easy or would it be like an IED?
These are people we're talking about, not statistics. If it costs trillions to get rid of NK's regime and bring their people out of suffering and into the prosperity SK enjoys then the price is worth it.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
These are people we're talking about, not statistics. If it costs trillions to get rid of NK's regime and bring their people out of suffering and into the prosperity SK enjoys then the price is worth it.
Ivory Tower troll, not used often but effective!

Algiz

N00b
To be fair, it's a nice thought, except for the segment of the population that freaks out over PBS's budget and such.

EDIT: And all the other wars/conflicts/whatevers of the past decade.

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Here's a thought. Why not have the North Koreans pay for their own freedom? Charge them high interest loans that they can never repay and turn them into debt slaves. That would definitely help the transition.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Here's a thought. Why not have the North Koreans pay for their own freedom? Charge them high interest loans that they can never repay and turn them into debt slaves. That would definitely help the transition.
Worked for Africa right?

Right?

Bueller? Bueller?

Dear Leader arrived at Jangjae Islet to grind it out with some troops, observe his country's defensive systems, and of course was treated with a beautiful satin ass cushion

kT2GpyE.png

kT2GpyE.png

kT2GpyE.png

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dear Leader arrived at Jangjae Islet to grind it out with some troops, observe his country's defensive systems, and of course was treated with a beautiful satin ass cushion

kT2GpyE.png
Are we supposed to ignore the other blue thing the guy behind him is sitting on?

kT2GpyE.png

kT2GpyE.png

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
from what I have read just giving them food, will change that story.
Most people assume that since no one wants to invade in order to topple the regime and give them food directly, and that since giving them billions of dollars in food aid as things stand will do nothing in regard to winning the North Koreans over since the Regime will in all likelihood lie about where it came from, that the only other plausible scenario is to wait until the NK regime fails on its own and then roll north. What Araxen said might be plausible, but most people consider the likely death toll to be too high a price to pay just to see how the North Korean people would react in the aftermath.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
I'm glad you have trillions of dollars of non-perishable food laying around. I know I sure don't.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Why don't we send all of the Bankers and CEOs with millions and billions to North Korea - they can turn it around with their extensive skills.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
China has the best card to play because they have the other Kim on their radar because Jong Un was trying to assassinate him and then asked China to turn him over to NK. China said no and is still protecting and hiding him. The chinese guy I know thinks that china will just assassinate Jong Un themselves if he gets too out of hand and put the brother Kim in charge.

That is prolly the best outcome for all parties involved, the question is if the chinese could manage it without the whole country falling to pieces. Unless Jong Un comes back on board soon the chinese are not gonna tolerate it, he makes them look weak and is pretty much the perfect storm of a fuckup.
what they are hiding his brother until he dies? if this was their plan why wait.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
That is what they want, North Korea is on a list of very few countries countries that don't have a internationally linked central bank(in partnership with the UN banks), IRAN is another one.

They want access to run the country, that is what all these wars since ww2 are about. it's the roman model of conquest, pick a tribe devastate it's enemies(Rome brings a wasteland and calls it "peace", Tacitus) then lend the people the money to rebuild their land, you create debt slaves.

It's in the history books they don't teach it to the masses but it's there.

Szlia

There was a sect in France that believed its guru was, day after day, fighting a space fleet of invading aliens with the power of his mind. If an actual alien commando came out of nowhere and killed their guru, what would have happened? I suspect they would kill themselves faster than you could say kool-aid. Obviously, this scenario could not happen, but a commando of US soldiers could come and kill the leaders of North Korea, which would be the worst possible scenario in the north korean fantasy world: Evil wins, nothing is left to hope for. A "cure" that could be worse than the disease (not to mention how the international community would enjoy overt regime toppling...).

Falmer_sl

shitlord
That is what they want, North Korea is on a list of very few countries countries that don't have a internationally linked central bank(in partnership with the UN banks), IRAN is another one.

They want access to run the country, that is what all these wars since ww2 are about. it's the roman model of conquest, pick a tribe devastate it's enemies(Rome brings a wasteland and calls it "peace", Tacitus) then lend the people the money to rebuild their land, you create debt slaves.

rrr_img_17830.png

rrr_img_17830.png

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

This makes a lot of sense. Have you alerted the president? I don't mean Obama. I mean therealPresident.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Are you guys really too young not to remember the Clinton-and-earlier versions of this rodeo?

1) China doesn't want a US ally literally on their doorstep, and will deter any efforts at a peaceful re-unification.
2) China doesn't want millions of refuges streaming across their border, and doesn't want the NK regime to fall militarily.
3) The US and SK don't want the millions of S. Koreans dead and good chunk of Seoul demolished that would occur before #2 inevitably happened.

Therefore the only solution that makes everyone happy... is for things to stay the way they are. The problem is that the amount of food they need to extort (for lack of a better word) only grows larger over time, so the threat they have to pose to the region has to escalate over time. Add in the internal power struggles of a new Kim vs. the military, and their recent actions... aren't the least bit surprising.

I have an extremely difficult time imagining China would assassinate Jong-Un and install Jong-Nam. I have a reasonably easy time imagining NK could imagine that, and modifying their behavior accordingly.