North Korean Hackers Attack On Sony

Siliconemelons

They didn't need a zero-day anything. Their network was completely open and all their shit was stored in plaintext.

It's Sony Pictures. That's Hollywood. It's a bunch of rich kids who went to drama school. You think they know how2computer?
They didn't get the memo from Sony Online Entertainment division after their PSN hack "stop storing stuff in plain text!" - must have been an old company policy "encoding? ha!"

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Their network wasn't completely open, and encrypting data at rest wouldn't have really helped considering the extent of the breach. But it would have been nice to see some basic security measures, sure.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
The descriptions of the attack that I read said the network was basically completely open. Their own servers were hosting the torrents and were exfiltrating the data without anyone even noticing terabytes of extra data outbound from the network.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
To encrypt it would be just wasting countless manhours when your company allready agreed to provide releases and plain data to NSA, White House, Downing st, and random CEOs home theatres.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The descriptions of the attack that I read said the network was basically completely open. Their own servers were hosting the torrents and were exfiltrating the data without anyone even noticing terabytes of extra data outbound from the network.
Yeah that's all true, but by that point the attackers already had pretty much total control of the network. We know Sony had the tools to detect that kind of traffic, the fact that it wasn't detected sounds to me more like a symptom of what the attackers did rather than a weakness in Sony's network. But only the FBI really has the evidence to say one way or another, it just doesn't seem logical.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Bros I don't know where to post this really, but if anyone is in town for Shmoocon get with me, we'll have a beer and make fun of Tuco.