North Korean Hackers Attack On Sony

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Since that Rogen and Franco stoner flick about killing Kim Jong Un was announced NK has been all butthurt, Sony still went ahead and made the film. now the NK hackers have gotten inside Sony's database and have been fucking with their shit. they released some movies that are in theaters still or unreleased, they are currently leaking all the infos on actors and production staff. basically Sony has been buttraped by North Korea. saw this today.

Sony suspends filming after hackers hit payments | The Times

Sony suspends filming after hackers hit payments

The Hollywood studio that made the James Bond and Spider-Man films has abandoned shoots after hackers crippled its computer network, and leaked four films and thousands of documents.

Agencies filming for Sony Pictures have cancelled shoots because the problems have left it unable to process payments, a source told The Times.

The attack by Guardians of Peace, a hacking collective suspected of having links with North Korea, has taken most of Sony Pictures? computers offline.
this may even affect the way the next Spiderman film is made.
http://www.latino-review.com/news/ma...ndrew-garfield
Marvel Wants A Fresh Start With 'Spider-Man' Without Andrew Garfield

We previously reported on the potential deal between Marvel and Sony to share the rights to Spider-Man at a 60/40 split, and that deal seems to be the one that will potentially be jump-started if Sony Pictures Entertainment continues to stumble in their handling of the Spider-Man franchise.

Sony is understandably preoccupied with the consequences of a massive hack that includes leaked films, downed intranet services and the leak of documents and e-mails, but should this deal move forward, we've learned some more details about what Spider-Man's potential return to Marvel would entail.

The 60/40 split still looks to be the divide with Sony handling distribution. However, Marvel's not inclined to give Sony creative control over the character, nor planning on honoring the contracts with Sony's Spider-Stars. More poking into the origins of the Aunt May solo film and Female Spider movie rumors revealed that these were actual Sony Picture Entertainment plans that Marvel knew about and severely disliked. Now that Marvel can have the rights to the character back, they plan to wipe the slate with the Amazing Spider-Man universe.

IF the Marvel/Sony deal were to go forward, Andrew Garfield would no longer be Peter Parker and any baggage from existing films, Raimi or Webb, would be non-canonical, Marvel doesn't want any part of those films. The idea is that the Spider-Man romance movie has been played out over five installments, so any new Spider-Man films would focus on the difficulties of being a teenager and a superhero with a romance side-story, not the film's focus. Marvel also thinks that the origin story is well-trodden territory, so any Spider-Man movies under this deal would begin with Peter Parker already leading a dual life. Spider-Man making his debut in Captain America: Civil War is still a distinct possibility and would serve as the character's introduction to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. But as of now Spider-Man will NOT be in Civil War. I was told that they have a script nailed down.

Marvel's desire to remove Andrew Garfield from the role was a major point of contention with Sony's Amy Pascal, traditionally a stalwart defender of the talent in her films. However, current events leave her positioned slightly weakened.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If we appease nk surely they will behave properly.

I honestly wonder what the tipping point is when cyber warfare is finally considered on the level of bullets and bombs warfare. I personally find it detestable countries don't take this shit seriously.

Your countries want to be shitheads on the Internet? Well cut the fiber and destroy the satellites linking you to it.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Nobody in the universe believes NK did this, not even NK itself.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I can't blame North Korea for what they did regarding this. If Iran made a movie with our President being killed we would be going apeshit.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I can't blame North Korea for what they did regarding this. If Iran made a movie with our President being killed we would be going apeshit.
The US makes movies where the president dies... just saying

iannis

Musty Nester
Well they hacked Sony, not the pentagon.

And Sony isn't exactly running a tight ship to begin with. Remember a few years ago where The Station basically got shut the fuck down for months because lulsec was fucking with them?

Not that I know shit from shineola, but there was a counter-terrorism guy I saw that said yeah... NK -could- do this sort of thing. Dunno if they did or not, but they're not quite as stone age about this as you'd assume.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I dunno if the hackers are working from inside NK, but i definitely think these guys are working on their behalf.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I dunno if the hackers are working from inside NK, but i definitely think these guys are working on their behalf.
China makes the most sense, though they'd never take credit for it. The only thing that makes me skeptical that it might not be china is the fact that I'm pretty sure NK would of taken credit for it if china did it (and told them).

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
The most sense is it being done by one of their direct competitors, through enough backchannels to plausibly deny any links.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
You have to look at who has the most to gain by this. It clearly wasn't just a prank.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
People that rich dont risk their entire fortunes to shut down a shitty ass movie. What sort of hollywood-stupid thought process makes you think anyone with money would even consider that? Even if someone else hacked sony and walked up to their competition to offer it to them, you can bet your ass they'd be phoning the fbi instantly.

The NSA doing it makes more sense than their competition.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
People that rich dont risk their entire fortunes to shut down a shitty ass movie. What sort of hollywood-stupid thought process makes you think anyone with money would even consider that? Even if someone else hacked sony and walked up to their competition to offer it to them, you can bet your ass they'd be phoning the fbi instantly.

The NSA doing it makes more sense than their competition.
Uh, who said it had anything to do with that movie other than the original article? Tying the hacking to NK is pure conjecture by the author of the article.

Although I agree with you that it being a Sony competitor seems profoundly unlikely.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
People that rich dont risk their entire fortunes to shut down a shitty ass movie.
It doesn't have anything to do with the movie.

Also, the owners of multinational corporations never go to jail or have to pay anything out of their own pockets even if the corporation is found guilty of a crime.

Sony seems to have been publicly shamed in ways that will actually hurt their bottom line. It's definitely not impossible. It also wouldn't be the first time a large corporate entity paid hackers to damage their competitors:

Smartcard cracker: Fox paid me to hack DISHs smartcards to promote piracy of DISH signals - Boing Boing

iannis

Musty Nester
Do you really need that much to be able to do it?

You need a systems engineer who is smarter than their systems engineer and you need an opportunity. I thought the infrastructure requirement was actually pretty low, and the easiest part of the entire enterprise.

I mean I'm actually asking. Everything I know about hacking corporations I read in Gibson novellas.

Edit: But if 4chan autodidacts can do it it seems plausible to my ignorant self that maybe a state sponsored cream of the crop team could also do it. Seems like they'd be more easily motivated than Anon. But I dunno.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Do you really need that much to be able to do it?

You need a systems engineer who is smarter than their systems engineer and you need an opportunity. I thought the infrastructure requirement was actually pretty low, and the easiest part of the entire enterprise.

I mean I'm actually asking. Everything I know about hacking corporations I read in Gibson novellas.

Edit: But if 4chan autodidacts can do it it seems plausible to my ignorant self that maybe a state sponsored cream of the crop team could also do it. Seems like they'd be more easily motivated than Anon. But I dunno.
Thankfully there are almost always vulnerabilities or social engineering attacks that basically make cracking passwords or hacking pretty irrelevant in the scheme of things.