Now You See Me

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Well I just got back from seeing this. I can tell you both if you really want.
wink.png

wink.png

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Personally, I thought it was an alright movie. The romance was very forced though, to the point where it became a distraction a couple of times.

I liked what they tried to do in the movie with keeping everything on the central theme of "The closer you look, the less you'll see" with misdrection and what not. In the end you'll probably see the ending coming that they have planned out but I still enjoyed it.

Would I pay $5 to watch this during the day? Yeah I would be okay with that. Would I fell like maybe my moneys worth wouldn't have been achived had I spent $10 or $12 though? Perhaps. I'm pretty easily entertained when it comes to movies though, I don't nit pick everything I see and just sit back and enjoy things.

That being said there are a few things that left me scratching my head.

I would probably give it a 6.5/7 out of 10.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
God, this reminds me of 21 for some reason. Looks amazing in the trailer, but fails to deliver.

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this last night at a preview, enjoyed it. Great comedy, lots of action, and the magic was really cool to see. Don't think its anything super special to require seeing in the theater, but a good movie for family or date.

Oldbased

> Than U
I'm trying to remember the name of the movie I saw years ago basically the same as this. Dude could teleport anyplace and he stole a asston of money in that movie.
Watching the trailer it looked like the same damn thing.

spronk

FPS noob
I'm trying to remember the name of the movie I saw years ago basically the same as this. Dude could teleport anyplace and he stole a asston of money in that movie.
Watching the trailer it looked like the same damn thing.
jumper? with the dude who played grown up anakin skywalker. but anyways yeah this isn't like that movie at all, and that had samuel l jackson and this has morgan freeman. all black people dont look alike you know

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Wife took me to see this for my birthday last night. HIGHLY predictable. Even the "twist" ending. 5/10.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Well of course it was highly predictable. You could tell that from extended trailers and the whole premis was figuting out "magic" tricks.
tongue.png

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Be honest. If you like redheads you'll watch this movie and most likely enjoy it.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I thought this was a really fun movie. Great? No. But overall very enjoyable.

One thing I really liked is that they didn't try to explain every bit of magic the Four Horsemen used, despite clearly being nothing more than elaborate stage illusions. For example, the obvious CGI swirling curtains towards the beginning when they show the teleportation machine, and the flying-in-a-bubble trick in New Orleans. Obviously that's stuff that can't really be done without movie CGI, but I think it would have become tiresome to have Morgan Freeman explain every little trick in order to keep it "realistic".

There were a couple things I didn't quite get:

1) When the cop falls down the garbage chute he notices something at the bottom; it flashes on the screen quickly when he looks at it, but it look like it had the name of the drowned magician (his dad) written on it. Was that supposed to mean something?

2) So the entire point of everything was to blackmail Morgan Freeman? It seems like an awfully elaborate way to go about doing something that could have been accomplished much more quickly and easily. I know they were trying to hammer home the whole "the closer you look the less you see" theme, but it still seems pretty silly to go through so much trouble.

spronk

FPS noob
It wasn't to blackmail Morgan Freeman. The cop was the son of the magician who died in the safe at the bottom of the river, which was built shoddily by the company that had $100 million in illegal (?) money in the giant safe. Morgan Freemans character kept exposing the dead fathers tricks and "ruined" him or drove him to the crazy safe trick, he was also apparently jealous of not being good enough to get into the secret magic society.

Finally, Michael Caine's old man character ran the insurance company that wouldn't pay out on the safe death (or something like that) so he got all his money stolen. So all 3 were the targets of revenge by the son, who was ~12-15 when his father died. He perfected his magic, got a job in the FBI, and slowly set up the 3 performances over 20+ years to get revenge on the people who wronged his dead father, and used the rest of the magicians. Michael Caine lost all his money, the safe company lost a ton of its money, and Morgan Freeman is going to jail for stealing that money.

Only the cop/son knew the overall plan, the rest of the crew didn't even know who he was (I think), they were just brought together and given a set of instructions with more and more elaborate tricks, which they viewed as a way to get into the super secret magicians society and/or getting famous, money, etc.

McCheese

It wasn't to blackmail Morgan Freeman. The cop was the son of the magician who died in the safe at the bottom of the river, which was built shoddily by the company that had $100 million in illegal (?) money in the giant safe. Morgan Freemans character kept exposing the dead fathers tricks and "ruined" him or drove him to the crazy safe trick, he was also apparently jealous of not being good enough to get into the secret magic society.

Finally, Michael Caine's old man character ran the insurance company that wouldn't pay out on the safe death (or something like that) so he got all his money stolen. So all 3 were the targets of revenge by the son, who was ~12-15 when his father died. He perfected his magic, got a job in the FBI, and slowly set up the 3 performances over 20+ years to get revenge on the people who wronged his dead father, and used the rest of the magicians. Michael Caine lost all his money, the safe company lost a ton of its money, and Morgan Freeman is going to jail for stealing that money.

Only the cop/son knew the overall plan, the rest of the crew didn't even know who he was (I think), they were just brought together and given a set of instructions with more and more elaborate tricks, which they viewed as a way to get into the super secret magicians society and/or getting famous, money, etc.
yeah I get all of that fine. I'm just saying, considering the FBI agent was a real magician with real magic (as a member of the Eye of Horus or whatever it's called, I'm sure he could have gotten his revenge in a much more efficient way. The entire thing just seems way more convoluted than it had to be.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
They never said he had real magic, just that The Eye of Horus were keepers of magic and the secrets of magic dating back to Egyptian times. . I never once got the feeling that he was supposed to possess real magic of any kind personally.

McCheese

Well, at the end when he was talking to Morgan Freeman in the jail cell, they made a point of showing the police officers lock the cell with him inside and then he somehow vanishes and reappears instantly outside the cell. No slight of hand, no camera cut, etc. I took that as a subtle sign that he knows real magic. Also, I'm 99% sure at one point someone says that the Eye of Horus are the safeguarders of real magic and they seek out magicians who they think are worthy of learning about the real thing.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Hmmm, maybe. I just assumed he moved in and out quickly or had it all arranged ahead of time on how he would do it. They did say the keepers of real magic though but I guess I never really took it to heart that he knew it. I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.