Nu Metal

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm older than you guys so my senior yearbook quote was taken from W.A.S.P.

DwayneJohnson.jpg

"Who Dares Wins"

Fortunately, even though I didn't know it at the time, it isn't specific to the band, so it doesn't sound as retarded later on. What does sound retarded is the fact that it is literally the exact opposite of what my life has become: complacent, lazy, and boring.

If only I had heeded the wisdom of Blackie Lawless!

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I think this version is even better than the album version:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I don't know why properly identifying nu-metal is such a confusing issue.

It's not "any metal that I don't like"

It's something that sounds at least a little bit like metal, but for some fucking reason, somebody is scratching on a turntable. That's the essential component.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I was looking at my HS yearbook a few months ago and saw that I had used a Staind quote under my grad picture.

Jesus Fucking Christ, I suck.
It's ok. My senior quote was a bunch of inside jokes about tripping on acid with my friends. The future was bright!

Warr

<Bronze Donator>

"Rap-rock band with a DJ?
Someone tell this band what year it is."

Not judging, I listened to more than my share of it too.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

"Rap-rock band with a DJ?
Someone tell this band what year it is."

Not judging, I listened to more than my share of it too.
The only nu metal band I can think of with a DJ is Limp Bizkit. I guess you can count Incubus too. Oh and CRAZY TOWN

xzi

Mouthbreather
Saw Mudvayne 3 times now, they sound amazing live. Was my jam in middle/high school.

also

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Spineshank dude actually went on to form a metal-core (did I get the subgenre right?) band:

Nu metal goodness:

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider

One of the first entries is 311. Aren't they like shitty whiteboy reggae/rap music?

I wouldn't even RATM metal. They set out to emulate 90's underground sample heavy hip hop with live instruments and I thought Tom Morello nailed it pretty well with the screeches and scratching and shit. I also get if you're not a hip hop fan though why it would sound shitty.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Saw Mudvayne 3 times now, they sound amazing live. Was my jam in middle/high school.

also

I would love for a Mudvayne reunion, nothing put out to date from Hellyeah has come anywhere close to LD50. Apparently the singer Chad or whatever is a real prick though.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
that first Mudvayne album was deceptively proggy, especially the bass player. i feel ridiculous going back and listening to it, tho, because the dumb singer just threw in the words "mother fucker" and "bullshit" every time he didn't know what else to say.

but that's nu metal for you.

xzi

Mouthbreather
fucking ded @ that video

also won't lie I had the biggest boner for the bass player of Kittie when this video released

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I didn't think Kittie was nu-metal? I always considered them whorecore along with bands like the butcher babies and in this moment:

edit: I listened to Brackish and now I get why Kittie was nu-metal.

Last edited:

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
that chick from In This Moment is so damn hot
I'm seeing a show with them, Motionless in White, Avatar and Gemini Syndrome next month. I am least looking forward to seeing In This Moment (which sucks because they're the headliner) but it's good to know she's at least good to look at.