Nutrition

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
To better avoid the faggotry from the other thread. To start it off...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1854790.html

The lesson from that (old) link is not so much HFCS BAD SUGAR GOOD but look at the range of shit that is using HFCS, things you would never expect, things the layman might actually think are healthy. Fucking TONIC WATER has HFCS in it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
If you didn't know tonic water has a shit ton of sugar in it, you're a dumbass.

Saw a couple interesting articles recently:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/...ess-salad.html

I quite enjoyed that one, if only because there was a big ground beef e.coli scare up here a few months back, and my Facebook feed was filled with hippy idiots saying how awful the meat industry is and how bad meat is for you. I've been slapping that article on more than a few idiots walls.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/...ight-loss.html

Also thought that was pretty interesting, if only because many people on these boards have stated often and forcefully that meal timing does not matter, that only calories in/out do. But it would appear that's not actually the case, at least according to that study.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't drink tonic water because it tastes like tonic water. But no, I wouldn't make the assumption based on the taste and smell and name that it had sugar in it. Until a few years ago I never would have thought they were putting sugar in bread or yogurt or whatever. Like many people, I don't think I gave it much thought. I figured things were what they looked like and stopped there.

I was just hearing about that meal time study this morning. It sounds interesting. They interviewed the lead researcher and she already changed her habits to match the study result and saw immediate results. They made it sound like it is more of a cultural thing though, that this is common in Spain so they focused on that. Not that it wouldn't work outside of Spain.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'll lay out my diet for you guys to critique, since the other thread is unreadable.

Breakfast (6:45)

Oats
3 egg whites
Water

Break 1 (8:15 am)
Protein shake (25g mixed with 1/2 water 1/2 skim milk)

Mini Lunch (10:30 am)
Tilapia/Cod, Quinoa, Steamed Veggies (usually broccoli or spinach), homemade tomato sauce

Lunch (12:30 pm)
Small Steak/Chicken Breast, Wheat Pasta/Brown Rice, Greek yogurt w/ berries (usually black, ras, strawberries) & a little honey

Mini Lunch 2 (2:45 pm)
Peanut Butter sandwich/Banana

Break 2 (4:00 pm) (About 30 minutes before training - boxing/lifting/pickup bball)
25 gram protein shake w/ 1/2 skim milk and 1/2 water

Dinner (5:30 - 6:00 depending on workout)
Whole wheat pasta with Fish/Chicken/Steak, Asparagus/Brussel Sprouts/Zucchinni (whatever greens I have lying around), homemade tomato sauce.

Break 3 (8:00 pm)
25g protein w/ tsp of Peanut Butter

Thoughts?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I don't drink tonic either. It just always seemed pretty obvious to me that it had a shit ton of sugar in it, whether HFCS or otherwise.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I don't drink tonic either. It just always seemed pretty obvious to me that it had a shit ton of sugar in it, whether HFCS or otherwise.

How? It tastes like battery acid watered down and carbonated. Until I started looking at labels and trying to understand what they were doing, it never occurred to me that something that tastes so awful could be packed with sugar, or that a slice of bread could, or whatever.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
From Eomer's article:

A controversy erupted when Taco Bell started airing a TV ad for its variety 12-pack of tacos, with a voiceover saying that bringing a vegetable tray to a football party is "like punting on fourth-and-1." It said that people secretly hate guests who bring vegetables to parties.
LOL, I am actually the guy that will eat the broccoli off the vegetable tray at a superbowl party (along with the wings and the cheese tray) but I love the idea of self-righteous vegetarians being shocked to learn that everyone actually hates them.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
How? It tastes like battery acid watered down and carbonated. Until I started looking at labels and trying to understand what they were doing, it never occurred to me that something that tastes so awful could be packed with sugar, or that a slice of bread could, or whatever.
Well, if you've ever spilled any, it's pretty obvious that it's sticky when it dries.

Other than, you know, the ingredients on the side of the bottle.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well, if you've ever spilled any, it's pretty obvious that it's sticky when it dries.

Other than, you know, the ingredients on the side of the bottle.
That's exactly what I'm saying, though. I don't think most people read the ingredients, they make assumptions about the food they buy and consume. If you ask the average person how much sugar is in ketchup, what do you think they would say?

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I'll lay out my diet for you guys to critique, since the other thread is unreadable.

Breakfast (6:45)

Oats
3 egg whites
Water

Break 1 (8:15 am)
Protein shake (25g mixed with 1/2 water 1/2 skim milk)

Mini Lunch (10:30 am)
Tilapia/Cod, Quinoa, Steamed Veggies (usually broccoli or spinach), homemade tomato sauce

Lunch (12:30 pm)
Small Steak/Chicken Breast, Wheat Pasta/Brown Rice, Greek yogurt w/ berries (usually black, ras, strawberries) & a little honey

Mini Lunch 2 (2:45 pm)
Peanut Butter sandwich/Banana

Break 2 (4:00 pm) (About 30 minutes before training - boxing/lifting/pickup bball)
25 gram protein shake w/ 1/2 skim milk and 1/2 water

Dinner (5:30 - 6:00 depending on workout)
Whole wheat pasta with Fish/Chicken/Steak, Asparagus/Brussel Sprouts/Zucchinni (whatever greens I have lying around), homemade tomato sauce.

Break 3 (8:00 pm)
25g protein w/ tsp of Peanut Butter

Thoughts?
eat two or three meals a day

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
That's exactly what I'm saying, though. I don't think most people read the ingredients, they make assumptions about the food they buy and consume. If you ask the average person how much sugar is in ketchup, what do you think they would say?
Well that's no one's fault but your own then. I read the ingredients of most of what I eat. I'm not gonna claim to understand what everything is in everything, but a lot of the compounds are pretty easy to figure out if you think about them for awhile.

Particularly with beverages these days. I know exactly what sweeteners I don't like, so anytime anything new comes out, I check to see what it's sweetened with. Like the new 7up 10 stuff. HFCS is still the number 2 ingredient on it, despite being only 10 calories per serving.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Again, I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Heinz Ketchup is damn near almost all sugar.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well that's no one's fault but your own then. I read the ingredients of most of what I eat. I'm not gonna claim to understand what everything is in everything, but a lot of the compounds are pretty easy to figure out if you think about them for awhile.

Particularly with beverages these days. I know exactly what sweeteners I don't like, so anytime anything new comes out, I check to see what it's sweetened with. Like the new 7up 10 stuff. HFCS is still the number 2 ingredient on it, despite being only 10 calories per serving.
Now I read the ingredients on everything I eat and I actually look the shit up that I don't know what it is. Especially since having kids. But a few years ago when I was in high school and the Navy? Shit no I didn't. It wasn't until I got interested in cooking that I got interested in the ingredients and what they are. I can guarantee that if you were to poll people they would have no idea that ketchup has a ton of sugar, of they are putting sweeteners in Kraft mac and cheese, or even bread. Sure, it is everyone's own fault for not knowing that. But I think that they are just operating on the assumption that things are what they appear to be.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
My diet.

Wake up.. nothing for breakfast. I'm very lazy in the morning.
Get to work, green tea with honey. devour almonds and raisins.
Lunch, half a chicken and fruit salad.
Afternoon, when hungry more almonds and raisins.
Workout after work, recovery shake right afterward.
Get home cook meat, mixed with blueberries and blackberries.

been doing this for 6 month now, one cheat day, usually rice on the cheat day or potatoes.

Overall lost a lot of fat and replaced it with muscle thanks to the workout. I should eat more carbs so i can gain more muscle weight, so ill be adding some tubbers soon.

Paleo thoughts I think. Somewhere along the lines of, and I'm paraphrasing, "Would a caveman really have time to eat 6 meals a day? Of course not, they have to eat as much as they can when they can."

Paleo aside though, the eating every 2-3 hours thing is overblown imo. There has been a lot of shit over the years, I think Layne Norton did studies on it showing that it's more beneficial or the diff is negligible when you let amino acid levels in your blood spike and fall throughout the day instead of keeping them constant.

Eat when you are hungry.