NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If he's happy with it, then by all means. But after watching a few videos of Alienware's being dissected, it's a hard "no" from me.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
If he's happy with it, then by all means. But after watching a few videos of Alienware's being dissected, it's a hard "no" from me.

All the reviews on the new Alienware R11 have been very positive. It even comes with a 1,000 watt power supply now, which is a nice upgrade from earlier models (think they went from 650, to 850, and now to 1,000). The price was just too good to pass up. I was looking at some other companies: Digital Storm, Falcon NW, Origin, Skytech, but the exact same build that I got with Dell was over $1,000 more with any of the other companies. I doubt I could've even built it myself for that much less than what I paid for it. I will admittedly be upset if a new card won't fit in the case.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm really starting to become torn on whether I want to buy into this generation of cards. It cost me $1200 CAD to buy my 1080ti (taxes inc) and that was an absurd amount of money. This generation's top-end card is going to be quite a bit more expensive. This hobby is getting too expensive.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm really starting to become torn on whether I want to buy into this generation of cards. It cost me $1200 CAD to buy my 1080ti (taxes inc) and that was an absurd amount of money. This generation's top-end card is going to be quite a bit more expensive. This hobby is getting too expensive.
GPUs are the exception. Entire PC's are affordable.. then t hese GPUs come out that cost as much as your entire PC. It's dumb as fuck. I blame cryptomining

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Naw it's entirely on nVidia, and to a lesser extent AMD for not really having been competitive for the last half decade.

nVidia knows they have nerds by the balls so they will just continue charging whatever they want until AMD actually puts out a competitive card that has real driver support.

• 1Truth!

Fucker

Log Wizard
Naw it's entirely on nVidia, and to a lesser extent AMD for not really having been competitive for the last half decade.

nVidia knows they have nerds by the balls so they will just continue charging whatever they want until AMD actually puts out a competitive card that has real driver support.

That's the way I see it. They can charge whatever they want because they know people will pay it. I wouldn't leave money on the table if I was Huang, either.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If it's 350W I'm not buying the top end card, but I would like something that can push 3440x1440 @ over 100 fps in most games.

• 2Like

Daidraco

The way I see it is that the overwhelming majority of players dont have a monitor that will take advantage of those cards to begin with. Not only does your PC have to be up to spec in order to not bottle neck those cards, especially with lane capacity, but the actual monitor needs to at least be 4k capable and have a true 120mhz refresh rate at the minimum. I know a ton of people that play games on their PC, and it just may be that its because I live in rural Virginia - but I rarely see any monitor worth af.

• 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The way I see it is that the overwhelming majority of players dont have a monitor that will take advantage of those cards to begin with. Not only does your PC have to be up to spec in order to not bottle neck those cards, especially with lane capacity, but the actual monitor needs to at least be 4k capable and have a true 120mhz refresh rate at the minimum. I know a ton of people that play games on their PC, and it just may be that its because I live in rural Virginia - but I rarely see any monitor worth af.
2080ti's can't cap out a 1440p 144hz monitor for the more demanding games currently. We're 2+ gens away from 4k120hz+ being needed to not bottleneck across the board. Otherwise you're right: most people are still on 1080/60. It's a weird situation where the consumer base is lagging behind the tech when it's traditionally been the opposite (Edit: Speaking of the drive to upgrade. It has taken much longer than would be expected for people to recognize what's available)

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's only natural because the human eye can't even see more than 1080 frames per second guys

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
People I know in real life have t he most disgusting monitors I've ever seen. I know a dude that uses an old 1080p small TV for his. I can push overwatch at 1440p 144+fps, so that 's all I care about

• 2Like

Daidraco

2080ti's can't cap out a 1440p 144hz monitor for the more demanding games currently. We're 2+ gens away from 4k120hz+ being needed to not bottleneck across the board. Otherwise you're right: most people are still on 1080/60. It's a weird situation where the consumer base is lagging behind the tech when it's traditionally been the opposite (Edit: Speaking of the drive to upgrade. It has taken much longer than would be expected for people to recognize what's available)

Was referring to expected specs of the higher tier 3000 series. Last I checked, the 2000 series is still selling out the very day they are put into stock. From a noobie marketing perspective, I just dont see how the market is saturated with the 2000 series. Which I would have imagined would have been the goal before pushing to release a new series of cards.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Upgrading from 24" 1080p 60hz to 34" 2560x1080 144hz was the absolutely biggest upgrade I've experienced in an entire decade and that will cost me considerably less over time than spending that kind of money on anything inside the PC. I really don't understand the people who still game on 22" FHD displays even though they can easily afford high end systems.

It's some sort of weird logic that only the PC matters. The PC itself can cost just about anything, but a monitor must be under than €200, the mouse and the keyboard must be under €30 each (and some play on the garbage shit the PC came with) and the headphones were 19.95€. Buying a 2080ti? Sure. Buying a 500€ monitor that will actually last you twice as long as that 2080ti? No fucking way.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
It's only natural because the human eye can't even see more than 1080 frames per second guys
This is why I just draw pictures of my games on a post it note pad and flip through it fast. Eyes can't tell the difference

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
If it's 350W I'm not buying the top end card, but I would like something that can push 3440x1440 @ over 100 fps in most games.

Only Mist can make $140,000 a year and be cooked out of her house by a video card.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Upgrading from 24" 1080p 60hz to 34" 2560x1080 144hz was the absolutely biggest upgrade I've experienced in an entire decade and that will cost me considerably less over time than spending that kind of money on anything inside the PC. I really don't understand the people who still game on 22" FHD displays even though they can easily afford high end systems.

It's some sort of weird logic that only the PC matters. The PC itself can cost just about anything, but a monitor must be under than €200, the mouse and the keyboard must be under €30 each (and some play on the garbage shit the PC came with) and the headphones were 19.95€. Buying a 2080ti? Sure. Buying a 500€ monitor that will actually last you twice as long as that 2080ti? No fucking way.
It comes from monitor tech stagnating for a decade. There were no good options so they became an afterthought. One shitty 1080p TN monitor was as 'good' as the next one.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've seen quite a push towards using TVs for monitors lately. Like 4K ones in the ~40" range, that have good HDR (still limited by the dogshit Windows implementation, but at least the capability is there unlike 99% of PC monitors) and according to the people using them the old problem with text being just about unreadable is pretty much gone. Not something I'd ever consider since there's no such thing as a 1440UW TV, but I have to admit I was surprised to see the claims that a fairly inexpensive TV-grade display is actually usable outside of games and Steam Big Picture mode.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I've seen quite a push towards using TVs for monitors lately. Like 4K ones in the ~40" range, that have good HDR (still limited by the dogshit Windows implementation, but at least the capability is there unlike 99% of PC monitors) and according to the people using them the old problem with text being just about unreadable is pretty much gone. Not something I'd ever consider since there's no such thing as a 1440UW TV, but I have to admit I was surprised to see the claims that a fairly inexpensive TV-grade display is actually usable outside of games and Steam Big Picture mode.
In many cases you can create a custom resolution and turn that tv into an Ultrawide.