NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The only reason you would need the 3090 is if you're gaming in 8K. I think the card was pretty much built for that in mind (or you're doing pro 3D rendering).

Did you watch the Nexus Gamer video? It’s pretty terrible for 8k gaming.

It’s a work station card.

Edit: If you don’t want to watch it, it was running 8k games at like 14-32 FPS with huge and constant swings. The entire video is him trashing Nvidia for marketing it as a gaming card at all.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Did you watch the Nexus Gamer video? It’s pretty terrible for 8k gaming.

It’s a work station card.

But it's probably the only card that can do 8K gaming. So might be your only option if you want to game in 8K. Personally, I could care less. I just bought a C9 OLED TV last year. I'm not buying a new 8K television or monitor anytime in the near future.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Power argument is weird - ive never cared how much power draw my system does - so long as an 850wt is enough its whatever

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
But it's probably the only card that can do 8K gaming. So might be your only option if you want to game in 8K. Personally, I could care less. I just bought a C9 OLED TV last year. I'm not buying a new 8K television or monitor anytime in the near future.

Anyone paying $1500+ for a card to play 8k gaming at 15 FPS is a failure.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Power argument is weird - ive never cared how much power draw my system does - so long as an 850wt is enough its whatever
I mean, it's the same thing as a gas guzzling car.

A computer that draws more electricity also produces more waste heat, which then has to be cooled by something, so it doubly contributes to your electric bill and energy footprint.

• 1Edgelord
  • 1EyeRoll

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

A computer that draws more electricity also produces more waste heat, which then has to be cooled by something, so it doubly contributes to your electric bill and energy footprint.

giphy.gif

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

If you turn your heat off in winter and use your PC to keep just that one room warm it’s probably net positive footprint reduction.

• 2Like
  • 1Hodjing
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
If you turn your heat off in winter and use your PC to keep just that one room warm it’s probably net positive footprint reduction.
We’ve been through this. Mist’s home is located in an alternate reality where any of the dozens of reasonable ways to circulate air or remove heat do not apply.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
We’ve been through this. Mist’s home is located in an alternate reality where any of the dozens of reasonable ways to circulate air or remove heat do not apply.

We haven’t tried the footprint angle yet

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
With that FPS it doesn't actually do 8k gaming though. Granted you might be able to tweak settings and remove a bunch of stuff to make it run better, but then what's the point? There's just no reason to try to play at 8k right now, even next GPU gen might not be enough to do it decently. They basically JUST got to 4k, with the 2080ti running a decent 60FPS on most things and the 3080 running above(or at stable 60), 8k shouldn't be even in anyone's plans(besides the guys trying to sell 8k as the new big thing even though 4k isn't even that developped yet). Or you can do scuffed 8k with DLSS upscaling and it'll barely look any better than 4k anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user