NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Not the same thing, just waiting on 3060 to come out. May just get a 1660 since I do 1080 only while they still have them in stock and maybe pick up a 1440 monitor at some point.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's gotta be highly dependent on other components, noise + ripple from lower quality power supplies, etc.

Borzak

Hard to differentiate the problems and those on the bandwagon for no particular reason.

Borzak

a 1660 cannot handle 1440p

At all? I don't really game and at most play a 17 year old game. I'm mostly looking to get a larger monitor than a 24" I have now since my vision is gone to shit.

Probably been 15+ years since I played anyting approaching a triple A game.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Depends on your demands and what you already have. If you want high or even ultra settings at 1440p and have stable >60 fps the 1660 isn't going to cut it.

On the other hand: The 1660 is currently one of the cheapest modern card that works, and that you can also put in a second PC. Especially because it's 12nm and does not consume a lot of power. Check prices and maybe look for the SUPER model.

As I said: depends on what you already have and if you feel the need to upgrade. If you can wait I guess prices will drop somewhat once AMD puts out their new lineup October 28th, and then next year after the holiday shopping spree has ended.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
At all? I don't really game and at most play a 17 year old game. I'm mostly looking to get a larger monitor than a 24" I have now since my vision is gone to shit.

Probably been 15+ years since I played anyting approaching a triple A game.

Find a video of someone playing that game at 1440p on youtube as there will be one somewhere and see what kind of performance they get. It'll play older games at 1440p but anything modern with high settings will be pretty rough, you'll have to lower the settings.

You could wait for AMD and the 3060 as both options will absolutely crush the 1660super and you'll be able to play modern titles for the next few years headache free if you want to.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I want the FE 3080 with the 20gig ram. If they come in before Christmas, maybe 2020 won't be the worst year ever...

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

WIP full list of all the cards and whether they use Piece of shit cap or MLCC condensators or a mix.

don't buy Gigabyte or Zotac

spronk

FPS noob
one thing i find confusing is some people claim the nvidia FEs dont crash at all and others claim they DO crash, but might have to do with drivers or not enough power from PSUs/bad PSUs. all very confusing

doesn't help that nvidia hasn't shipped out any orders from last week

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Piece of shit cap is a pretty short sighted thought
Didn't piece of shit caps sink Abit? Way back in early 2000s some of the Dell computers (optiplex i imagine) also had a HUGE run where the caps started blowing. Had to replace hundreds of machines at work due to it. Pretty stupid mistake to make.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
The information coming in is muddied by idiots with shit setups too. People daisy-chaining on the 3x8-pin connectors. It will take wider availability to see where the pits truly lie.
Still, don't buy Zotac.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I just had a call with a mortgage lender where I had to explain $3,000 of charges on my bank statement rating to 3080s

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Everyone knows you don't really make major purchases when you're in the process of getting a mortgage

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Everyone knows you don't really make major purchases when you're in the process of getting a mortgage
I wasn't planning on getting a mortgage any time soon. It was kind of an impulse thing when I saw this house within my budget with an indoor pool and poolside bar.

• 1Like

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I wasn't planning on getting a mortgage any time soon. It was kind of an impulse thing when I saw this house within my budget with an indoor pool and poolside bar.

In before the house shows up on ebay.

I see best buy now shows a release date of 10/28/2020 for the 3090 FE, mistake or did Nvidia do a recall?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
In before the house shows up on ebay.

I see best buy now shows a release date of 10/28/2020 for the 3090 FE, mistake or did Nvidia do a recall?
Pretty sure Nvidia is only selling FEs direct for a few months.