NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It has never been, especially when it comes to upgrading from a lot of RAM (16 GB) to a fuckton of it (32GB)

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
It has never been, especially when it comes to upgrading from a lot of RAM (16 GB) to a fuckton of it (32GB)
These are tests that fit nicely in 16 GB, and are run more than one time, so things are already in memory by then. The video shows memory usage of Tomb Raider staying under 8 GB.

Also, Zen 3 is a 2 memory channel platform, so sticking in 4 sticks does not make it magically a 4 channel platform. So it is in fact a bit surprising that putting in four brings up to 15% performance increase, especially because no other platform (including Zen 2) exhibits this behavior.

My initial guess is that Zen 3 interleaves memory not only on both channels, but between the two modules on one channel: so they address row (tRAS) on both modules in one channel at the same time, and then push CL on one module and then the other.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
so what's the conclusion? Get 2x16 instead of 4x8 if you want 32?

If you watch the whole video, 4x8 brings a 5-10% performance increase in most of their testing. They talked about it with someone else who also saw similar results and had reason to believe that 2x16 might be the "sweet spot" and would need testing. What that exactly means they didn't say.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So what's up with the 5800x? It's awesome, but not so much more awesome than the 5600x to warrant the price? Not even for future-proofing does it pull ahead of the 5600x?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's like 60 bucks overpriced. But people are talking about paying above MSRP for chips so... who cares about 60 bucks?

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
No idea about availability moving forward also. Need a chip now, so I don’t mind paying. No idea when any of these will readily be in stock.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Get 2x16 instead of 4x8 if you want 32?
It's not so simple, because with DDR3 a DIMM could be single-ranked or dual-ranked (basically, two DIMMs packed in one). DDR4 increases this to two Bank Address bits (BA0, BA1) and two Bank Group bits (BG0, BG1), making it possible for 16 ranked DIMMs.

I know of only Micron, who have one fat registered RDIMM with 128 GB memory and four banks and four groups:

From the video: You should have 4 single-ranked 8 GB DIMMs, or two single-ranked 16 GB DIMMs. Single-ranked 16 GB modules are hard to come by, from what I found it's mostly Kingston HyperX.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
While it won't help, it's their Chinese HQ. Their overall HQ is in Taiwan.

If it's an actual manufacturing plant, then that's bad.

Oldbased

> Than U
MSI HQ in China went up in flames.

That will probably help supply.

Interesting.
So I was going to make a BLM joke since MSI had this huge We stand with BlackLives campaign SJ signaling that irked me a bit since I have MSI video card, MB, Monitor I bought in January. They had videos, screenshots and more plastered on twitter, IG, Facebook and website months back.
Thing is, it's all gone now. All of it. All the images, all the videos, can't find any of it.
So they did it, then erased it soon as the movement swept by. Still applies to being burned down haha.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
So what's up with the 5800x? It's awesome, but not so much more awesome than the 5600x to warrant the price? Not even for future-proofing does it pull ahead of the 5600x?
It's overpriced vs the rest of the series in $/core, but it's now the best "gaming" cpu you can buy- so it sort of commands a near Intel level price premium. It is a better binned single ccx, clocks a little higher stock+overclocked.

As pointed out a better bang for the buck would be from upgrading to 4x 3600 cl16 or better sticks of ram. Could become harder to find if that becomes an established "ultimate" component. Ram past 3200mhz didn't really matter with Intel, 2 v 4 sticks didn't matter so much with Intel or Zen 2.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Wonder if something deeper is happening with MSI, the CEO "fell" from the 7th floor like a month ago

• 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Best Buy online working for me for FE, hah it in cart a couple of times but backed out. Still waiting on AMD real tests.