NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I have a 2080, I'll get a 3080ti plus a water block for it when they come out. Not because I need to, but because I can. It'll be the first time I'm on truly top of the line hardware

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Did you believe it when AMD CPUs were going to beat Intel?
Yes, because Intel has been sucking for 4 years now.

The 20XX series for Nvidia didn't suck, they were still a 25-30% improvement + the addition of marginal utility of new technology.

They were a bit overpriced but that was more due to availability than MSRP.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

giphy.gif

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've heard that "new AMD cards were supposedly going to smoke Nvidia" for over 6 years now and they haven't been even remotely close aside from Vulcan which no one uses.
They do beat Nvidia at the same price point, even one step up in some games. And Vulkan is both superior and gaining a lot more support as time goes on. AMD's problem is just that they haven't had any competition for the x080Ti end of the market.

Edit: Still boggles my mind to see people talking about 4K for PCs though. Ultrawide is the only way to go ffs.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>

The 20XX series for Nvidia didn't suck, they were still a 25-30% improvement + the addition of marginal utility of new technology.

They were a bit overpriced but that was more due to availability than MSRP.
Turing was an Intel-like push for Nvidia, which is one of the reasons prices went up, because they stuffed more stuff on the same chips since they stated on the same process size, IIRC. I paid $699 for my Founders edition 1080Ti at launch and $999 for my 2080Ti before and after the Bitcoin price spike subsided.

AMD is not crippled by their work on the consoles this gen but instead is building on it. It's going to be good days to have competition back in both Video Cards and Processors.

Ladro

Anomaly
What card(s) are you using. What is your FPS?

I've been using an EVGA 1080ti FTW Hybrid with an Asus PB287Q for the last few years. FPS has been relatively solid around 60fps, which is the limit on the monitor so I'm not super concerned for anything above that. Yes I know how smoothing, etc works with more it just hasn't been a target for me. I wanted 4k@60 and have been able to achieve that with minimal loss. Some games drop, but it hasn't been terrible and I'll usually drop settings to accommodate if I need to. It's not anything to write home about for sure, but it's worked.

I used to run 2560x1600 with an SLI setup for Crysis on Ultra for benchmarking "back in the day", but it got tedious to manage and the heat/sound was fucking unbearable.

I've been looking at getting an ultrawide 3440x1440@120/144hz lately and really want HDR. I run a dual monitor set up for work so that might present some issues with mounting/positioning as well as dual monitor HDR seems to have issues unless both are enabled in Windows 10.

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have a regular 1080. I've been putting some money aside for a new PC once the 30xx line comes out. Hell yeah!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Even if you can find a monitor with enough brightness to truly support HDR (Spoiler: It's probably a TV), Windows' implementation of it is still an abomination.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have a 2080, I'll get a 3080ti plus a water block for it when they come out. Not because I need to, but because I can. It'll be the first time I'm on truly top of the line hardware
Dude it feels good. Finally in a place in my life where I can buy things and not feel guilty. Obviously I didn't go top of the line on GPU, but I had to buy some big stuff for the kids. 13 year old noodle would be jealous

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm shamelessly at 1080p 60Hz geforce 1060. It's boner killing to run newer games at medium settings with super low shadows, so I guess I'll be keeping an eye out for people selling their last gen cards when the 30x0 cards release.

biggest annoyance with upgrading from such a card is power supply. nobody really wants to get a whole new rig when the i7 and RAM is fine, but the card mandates a full power supply upgrade that can't be done in most circumstances the size of the tower won't accommodate it.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
biggest annoyance with upgrading from such a card is power supply. nobody really wants to get a whole new rig when the i7 and RAM is fine, but the card mandates a full power supply upgrade that can't be done in most circumstances the size of the tower won't accommodate it.
I don't know what else you are running, but I just bought an NZXT H1 that comes with a SF550 PS in it. Of course it only takes single PCI-E slot Mini ITX Mobos but there are people running them with 2080Ti's and 3900Xs; just be sure the current power supply won't support whatever it is you want to run before you write it off. That said, I have been putting 850w plus power supplys in my PCs for more than decade, so I am down with Beefy Power Supply Gang.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't know what else you are running, but I just bought an NZXT H1 that comes with a SF550 PS in it. Of course it only takes single PCI-E slot Mini ITX Mobos but there are people running them with 2080Ti's and 3900Xs; just be sure the current power supply won't support whatever it is you want to run before you write it off. That said, I have been putting 850w plus power supplys in my PCs for more than decade, so I am down with Beefy Power Supply Gang.

I went to Bestbuy and they said I needed the 750w for a 2080. But now that I read more, I'm seeing people with 500w running them without a problem it makes me second guess the power supply bottleneck.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I went to Bestbuy and they said I needed the 750w for a 2080. But now that I read more, I'm seeing people with 500w running them without a problem it makes me second guess the power supply bottleneck.
You can get these Corsair SF power supplies up to 750 watts. Right now NewEgg has the 600w version for $130 that ships in a few weeks. At Best Buy you probably have someone, casting no aspersions, plugging numbers into an online calculator or looking at a chart for power draw. I mean, for a while I was a big Shuttle IPC cube fan, and things I wouldn't put in a PC case without a 750+w PS I would regularly build into a Shuttle with a 400w PS. Lots of times, and rightly so, we tend as consumers to go big and not think about the actual numbers. I know I do. Nothing in my current rig requires anything near 1200w but I just spent big cash for security.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
When I switched from my 970 to my 2060S I was worried about Power supply/cooling etc. But the way these cards work (except the HIGHEST end ones) is that each generation generally gets more efficient from a power/cooling perspective. I actually had a cooler GPU temp running the 2060S and it drew less power. That's just the way PC hardware tends to work. Smaller, faster, quieter, and cooler. Once you start overclocking and shit the heat tends to become an issue, but for most normies it shouldn't.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just put the parts in pc part picker and it tells you what wattage you need. That's standard operating wattage though. I always leave plenty of wiggle room especially if I'm OC'ing components

• 1Solidarity

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The age of 750w PSUs for even high end PCs is over.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
For best efficiency you want 50% load. Which means a 750-850 PSU if you are running a top of the line computer.