NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
1070 8GB, i5 6600. I can barely play tetris.

lol lies :)

Still rocking the 2500k, 8gb ram and 1070 - 1440p handed everything maxed at 60 FPS. Probably going to upgrade though this summer - probably pick up a 2070 or see if I get a good deal on a 2080. Either way I’ll probably set forever until I change resolutions.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
maxed at 60 FPS
1591628740144.png

• 6Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 8 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Well, there is one thing I’m considering, PC gaming through my receiver and 65 Oled 4K in which case a direct connection could be pretty cool. And then I would upgrade to the max. Right now I’m using steam link occasionally but I bet it’s pretty sweet gaming directly through that sucker.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Well, there is one thing I’m considering, PC gaming through my receiver and 65 Oled 4K in which case a direct connection could be pretty cool. And then I would upgrade to the max. Right now I’m using steam link occasionally but I bet it’s pretty sweet gaming directly through that sucker.
Bro just do it. My PC is plugged in to my tv and receiver and it's like a whole new experience.

• 1Solidarity

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
  • 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Keep in mind that these components can draw more than TWICE the listed TDP if you overclock them at all.

People who buy the bare minimum power supply always start having weird problems 3 years later that couldn't possibly related to heavy PSU wear and then undoubtedly are.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most of my computer problems over the past 15 years have been Power Supply related. Shit going out, shit overheating, or the shit getting too taxed from the GPU, etc. Doubt you would regret it, even if you went a bit bigger than you needed.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Did you guys completely miss what we we've been saying?

Between the PSU efficiency curve and the aging factor you do not want to cut it that close.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Those calculators serve one purpose: Get clicks from search results. They completely ignore every good practice when it comes to PSU's

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Whatever that calculator says, add at least 40% if you want your computer to run well for 5 years or do any overclocking at all even just MCE.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I make sure my PSU runs about 60% of whatever my wattage my computer puts out. I don't want my PSU pumping out max 24/7

Argarth

On the verandah
Did you guys completely miss what we we've been saying?

Between the PSU efficiency curve and the aging factor you do not want to cut it that close.

I'm running a Corsair HX1000i power supply. With CPU and GPU fully loaded (benchmarks), the entire system pulls about 500 watts, and the PS fan still sits idle.

Damn thing will probably outlive me. Overkill is the way to go... it helps me to sleep at night.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I go the 50% gold route. I've never had a PS go bad on me. Never had above a 700w PS now that I think about it. Only OCed my previous proc and always a slight OC on my video cards.

Ladro

Anomaly
Yeah don’t skimp on your PSU, definitely buy more than you need. I have an 850HXi and it draws average 450 at load but I’ve seen it spike over 500. Over provision as everyone is saying by 40-50% and you’ll never have an issue.

I over clock and power is not something you fuck with. Need solid rails that never vary.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Most of my computer problems over the past 15 years have been Power Supply related. Shit going out, shit overheating, or the shit getting too taxed from the GPU, etc. Doubt you would regret it, even if you went a bit bigger than you needed.

I remember the dark ages of power supplies. A friend's took out his entire computer. I removed it, plugged it in and rested my hand on it. The damn thing nearly took me out. I had a new Seasonic that I got last December. Thing went out with a loud pop. I feared the worst, but it only killed itself. Turn around time was 5 days. I have spares, though. It kind of pissed me off because it was the first time in a long time that I used zip ties to make it all tidy.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I refuse to sell 2080 ti anymore. Way too many broke after a short while, ram issue according the feedback i have. But even replaced with new ram, some customers keep having problems...
I really hope the new 30x0 will be flawless on the hardware part.

Didn't they solve that after a cpl months? I read it was the Samsung memory at fault because the vast majority of people with artifacting cards had Samsung GDDR5 instead of Micron.

Early 2019 I had 2 EVGA 2080TI's in a row start artifacting within 3 days of unboxing them, and RMA's took a long time because of short supply, but the 3rd is still going strong and EVGA sent me one of their slightly higher end SKUs. I couldn't even really be mad because I was lucky to even order one at retail price.

• 1Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I just bought a 2080 Ti and hearing that the new 3080 will improve performance by 40% to 50% over the previous gen card makes me a sad panda. I doubt I'll have any issues running any games that are going to release any time soon, but it just sounds like the way everyone is talking, there's going to be significant improvements from the Turning to the Ampere. I may have to upgrade when the 3080 Ti comes out. Fuck it, it's only money.