NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I went to Bestbuy and they said I needed the 750w for a 2080. But now that I read more, I'm seeing people with 500w running them without a problem it makes me second guess the power supply bottleneck.

I run a 650W for a 3900X w/ 2080 and 3 NVMEs. No issues I can tell.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Power supplies last a really long time unless it dies randomly, so it's a good investment imo, can easily switch your power supply to a new PC since it's always the same connectors and stuff, while a bunch of other stuff you have to change every few years because new motherboards don't support them or whatever.

Ladro

Anomaly
Even if you can find a monitor with enough brightness to truly support HDR (Spoiler: It's probably a TV), Windows' implementation of it is still an abomination.

That's been my core issue, the implementation fucking blows on Windows 10. You can find monitors these days with 1000 nits which at desktop distance is more than enough to provide the experience. Problem is they cost a couple thousand dollars right now...

This is the one I've been looking at - ROG SWIFT PG35VQ | Monitors | ASUS USA

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I went to Bestbuy and they said I needed the 750w for a 2080. But now that I read more, I'm seeing people with 500w running them without a problem it makes me second guess the power supply bottleneck.

Definitely do not need a 750w man. Fuckin Best Buy....

Hell a plat 500w might be enough.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
A really good quality 550w maybe...

Also consider that PSUs age pretty fast and are inefficient as well when run at max capacity.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
New Moore's Law is Dead based upon the Video Cardz leak noted above: Nvidia RTX 3090 & 3080 Leak: Impressive Cooling for Higher Clocks

Edit: Here is the Notes and timestamps for the show:

Something close to the final cooling solution for the RTX 3080 seems to have leaked. But that’s not all, I also have some updates to the 3090 & 3080 that point to an upgraded Ampere Series from Nvidia!
0:00 Is the leaked Ampere cooling possibly real?
1:56 Ampere seems to have been Upgraded!
3:16 Overview of my new Ampere Info
6:58 Final Thoughts on GA102 & AMD’s Response

TDLR: He still thinks that both companies will have something out in September that is 50-70% faster than their current gen and that NVidia is bringing out almost all the stops (maybe holding back a couple of techs for Titan, still not decided) to compete since AMD appears to cocky behind the scenes.

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob
i'm still running a 1080ti on a 1440p (wide) 144hz gSync (no HDR) 34" IPS monitor, runs great but recently bought Control and I was really sad that it defaulted all my settings to medium and RTX was off. I think 1080 ti's support some version of RTX but i couldn't really figure out what was going on in the Control menus, it didn't quite say RTX wasn't supported but it didn't really seem to be fully on either. A Bloodborne and Horizon Zero Dawn PC port would be interesting but I plat'd both games and no real desire to replay.

It becomes a bit of a weird arms race, I wouldn't mind upgrading to a 3080ti in the fall but then I might as well upgrade my nearly 3 year old PC too but will I really notice that much of a difference between an XSEX and a super duper PC... in 2-3 years, for sure the top of the line PC will smoke consoles but for the first year or two, I dunno

I still can't install Gears 5 on my PC either, the windows store is a giant piece of shit

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think 1080 ti's support some version of RTX
giphy.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I'm got a mere 1070 with an i5-4690 (22nm!) with DDR3(!) memory and I unsurprisingly can't even get close to capping my frame rate with my 1440/144 monitor or a 4K/60 TV on anything made after last console gen.

I've been planning on swapping the entire thing for years but, as usual, the Next Big Thing was seemingly always a year away... until this year.

In short, are Ryzen 4000 Zen3s still due out this year, to get an accurate view of the landscape?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The interesting bit for me is that the fans are theorized to have one pushing while the other pulls

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Nvidia hasn't made a good cooling design yet on these Founders Edition cards.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I'm got a mere 1070 with an i5-4690 (22nm!) with DDR3(!) memory and I unsurprisingly can't even get close to capping my frame rate with my 1440/144 monitor or a 4K/60 TV on anything made after last console gen.

I've been planning on swapping the entire thing for years but, as usual, the Next Big Thing was seemingly always a year away... until this year.

In short, are Ryzen 4000 Zen3s still due out this year, to get an accurate view of the landscape?
In short, Yes. I mean, it is 2020 and there are still Murder Hornets and horrors yet unknown but this is scheduled to be Nerdvana come the fall, two incredible new consoles Zen3, and two awesome new Video cards series.

Last edited:

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
my wife is playing with a 750ti (at what point is it spousal abuse?) so that's even less than your 660.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My wife doesn't even have her own PC, technically I think I am beating my wife

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
I refuse to sell 2080 ti anymore. Way too many broke after a short while, ram issue according the feedback i have. But even replaced with new ram, some customers keep having problems...
I really hope the new 30x0 will be flawless on the hardware part.