NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I'm going to play so many games.

We shall see...we shall see.

200.gif

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Yeah I’ve had an engineer title for 5 or 6 years now. I don’t have a college degree, and just some minor certs in training programs I’ve done over the years. I tell people I’m a Pretengineer. I don’t really care what my title is but when everyone’s an engineer the title loses meaning.
ezgif-3275214123.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
My company calls their sales people "solutions engineers" lol. That title has been abused so thoroughly in the IT space its lost all meaning.
Are they really salesmen or are they pre-sales engineers?

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I work with one guy who if they ever work in the medical industry, many, many people will die. It's incredibly dangerous to let them work alone on any task they haven't done before. I asked them to reset some passwords on a bunch of AD service accounts we use and they got confused, changed 1/3 of the passwords on the domains but updated all of them in the tools that use the accounts. So most of the accounts got locked and a bunch of stuff ground to a halt. When someone complained, they acted surprised/unaware in how changing passwords works.

Edit: Also, they hide most of their ignorance and ineptitude behind a "Yada Yada Yada" personality which makes everyone assume they know what they're doing. It's frustrating to cut through someone's ignorance like this, usually I'll tear apart something they say, they'll bitch and moan for several minutes as to why they didn't actually understand it before, then eventually sulk away to do the work, which still has a good chance of being done incorrectly. And they probably make around $100k.

Last edited:
  • 1WTF

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I’ve had an engineer title for 5 or 6 years now. I don’t have a college degree, and just some minor certs in training programs I’ve done over the years. I tell people I’m a Pretengineer. I don’t really care what my title is but when everyone’s an engineer the title loses meaning.
I have the opposite problem. My profession chose to put Assistant in the job title and now everyone thinks I take people’s temperatures.

• 1Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have the opposite problem. My profession chose to put Assistant in the job title and now everyone thinks I take people’s temperatures.
I bet you take the temperatures rectally too

• 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Are they really salesmen or are they pre-sales engineers?

I can't even keep track of it anymore. What the fuck is the difference between outside sales, solutions engineers, solutions architects, inside sales, customer success engineers, channel partners, sales engineers, etc etc. The list is so fucking big of nebulous sales jobs, and is stacked with people that don't actually understand any of the technology they are trying to sell, so by the time their "designs" make it to my team for implementation the conversation usually starts with what is actually physically/technically possible vs what they have designed/offered.

b49.gif

• 1Worf

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I paid/tipped a family member with a 1080TI when it was worth around $300 a couple months ago for helping me with some remodeling. It's going for close to $800 now on ebay which is about what I paid for it new 3-4 years ago. He's mining crypto with it now el oh el.

• 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So Intel 11 series is probably DOA;

Our results clearly show that Intel’s performance, while substantial, still trails its main competitor, AMD. In a core-for-core comparison, Intel is slightly slower and a lot more inefficient. The smart money would be to get the AMD processor. However, due to high demand and prioritizing commercial and enterprise contracts, the only parts readily available on retail shelves right now are from Intel. Any user looking to buy or build a PC today has to dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge their way to find one for sale, and also hope that it is not at a vastly inflated price. The less stressful solution would be to buy Intel, and use Intel’s latest platform in Rocket Lake.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Tiresome

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Looks like there's tons of 5800Xs available on newegg and Amazon right now, I thought these were hard to get?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
5800Xs are in a bad spot I think, people would rather spend the $100 more for a 5900X and so those are impossible to find.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah but these are purchasable.
I almost pulled the trigger on a 5800x from Best Buy Thursday. If 5800 and 5900 were similar to the differences between 5900 and 5950, I'd have done it. Problem is, $100 more gets me a pretty big performance boost.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I almost pulled the trigger on a 5800x from Best Buy Thursday. If 5800 and 5900 were similar to the differences between 5900 and 5950, I'd have done it. Problem is, $100 more gets me a pretty big performance boost.
So why haven’t you bought one if it’s that simple??