NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
It's true though. They definitely want you to upgrade every generation, because they make more money. They might be making slightly more (but in my work with distributors they are likely still selling to retailers at same cost, regardless of retailers marking up more) per gpu, but they really make their money on quantity.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 342687
tenor.gif
That's got nothing to do with consumer GPU sales, I promise.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Argarth

On the verandah
I've basically lost interest in following the PC hardware industry for now. Hardly read articles/watch videos any more. Check in here once in a while to see if the conversation has changed, but that's about it. I still play video games, but the constant rehash in the press (and here somewhat) around Price/Avail/Scalping/Mining etc. just bores me to tears, and I've basically shelved any plans for an upgrade for the next couple of years, maybe longer.

Took up tenpin bowling again after ~30 years away, bought a couple of new bowling balls, joined a League with a workmate (lanes are all open and mask free in Oz) and the old skillz are coming back fast. Tearing it up and having a ton of fun learning about all the new technology. My, how things have changed. =)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I've basically lost interest in following the PC hardware industry for now. Hardly read articles/watch videos any more. Check in here once in a while to see if the conversation has changed, but that's about it. I still play video games, but the constant rehash in the press (and here somewhat) around Price/Avail/Scalping/Mining etc. just bores me to tears, and I've basically shelved any plans for an upgrade for the next couple of years, maybe longer.

Took up tenpin bowling again after ~30 years away, bought a couple of new bowling balls, joined a League with a workmate (lanes are all open and mask free in Oz) and the old skillz are coming back fast. Tearing it up and having a ton of fun learning about all the new technology. My, how things have changed. =)
There is new tech in bowling? I've been thinking about playing again, I haven't played in like 20 years. Could be a fun thing though

Argarth

On the verandah
There is new tech in bowling? I've been thinking about playing again, I haven't played in like 20 years. Could be a fun thing though
To give it some context, when I quit bowling in the late 80s, rubber and plastic balls were still being used, on mostly lacquered wooden lanes. I had two rubber Ebonite balls, and a Columbia Orange Dot, which was a plastic/particle hybrid designed for use on the newer synthetic lanes. Urethane balls were taking over, the most famous at the time were the Angle and Edge iirc.

Nowadays, you have Reactive Resin covers, much more powerful weight-blocks, new core materials, interchangeable thumbholes, its common to alter surface on your own bowling balls now (sanding and polish, I do both), many different oil patterns, and the list goes on... If you are a techno nerd you might love it, or hate it, or both!

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Nvidia, and even AMD are laughing all the way to the bank for the extreme demand vs supply - but this shortage is fucking the user in more ways than one. Why would a game company even worry about pushing graphical limits if less than <10% of their users can even get the next card in line.

I would say monopoly, but Im not even sure who to blame in this situation. Nvidia? The silicon manufacturer?
Being supply constrained just means that they’re leaving money on the table. They’re definitely not “happy” about that.

Yes it’s better for them to be supply constrained than demand constrained but it’s not necessarily a good thing.

• 1Imbecile
  • 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Nvidia and AMDs margins are not great on consumer GPUs. They're not happy about this, they need to be selling in volume. Add to that the tariffs and they are really not making out here.
Eh not really. Their last quarter theyve made more money than ever on GPUs. Their ASP of their products is up a considerable amount.

I bet theyre not happy seeing 200-300% profits left on the table though.

• 2Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Eh not really. Their last quarter theyve made more money than ever on GPUs. Their ASP of their products is up a considerable amount.

I bet theyre not happy seeing 200-300% profits left on the table though.
Yeah that's more the thing, if they could sell more cards, they'd sell more cards, the higher prices from scalpers and shitty shops they don't see any profit from. On the flipside, the situation is still better than if they weren't selling everything they have obviously, just if they could flood the market they would because it's just money they're not getting at this point. Arguably though the current issues might convert into future sales which wouldn't happen if people bought the current cards(a lot of people don't upgrade every gen) so they might not care that much cause they know they're not losing sales overall, just during this fiscal year, it's not like AMD is selling a tons of cards and they're actively losing market shares, if anything AMD is selling even less cards since they're using a lot of the stuff they get into consoles.

Sucks from a user perspective though.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Welp, the "big drop" sold out in fractions of a second.

Might be time to give up PC gaming for the summer anyway.

• 1Worf

Lenas

Trump's Staff
He doesn’t even seem like he wants to be doing this review at all. Just angry at all the shortages and fed up.

The vibe I'm getting from every review video for this card boils down to "it's not trash, but you should only buy it if you have literally no other option and can't wait. We don't technically know why this exists and it competes at the wrong price point."

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Is the Newegg shuffle only doing windows that are five hours long now? Ridiculous.
Usually it's 3-4. I've entered almost every single day they've had it and have yet to ever "win".

• 1Solidarity

Stave

Potato del Grande
Were you worried about those buyers that lie fuck you over ? I remember spronk spronk saying something about that
Well I may have just run into my first buyer trying to fuck me over. He requested a refund and said the card stopped working 3 weeks after I sold it to him. From what I can tell ebay will pretty much side with him by default. I'm trying to offer him troubleshooting tips, we will see if it makes a difference but I have a feeling I'm going to have to pay him to ship it back and accept a probably broken card.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
yeah you'll get back his old card or shit and there isn't fuck all you can do, ebay mercari etc always side with the buyer. just like walmart has to deal with shoplifters, if you sell on ebay you eventually have to deal with fraudsters

anyways alienware has a 3080 pc build for ~$2k seems like a decent build if you need a PC asap

• 2Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well I may have just run into my first buyer trying to fuck me over. He requested a refund and said the card stopped working 3 weeks after I sold it to him. From what I can tell ebay will pretty much side with him by default. I'm trying to offer him troubleshooting tips, we will see if it makes a difference but I have a feeling I'm going to have to pay him to ship it back and accept a probably broken card.
Im sorry to hear that. Such bullshit.

• 2Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah that's more the thing, if they could sell more cards, they'd sell more cards, the higher prices from scalpers and shitty shops they don't see any profit from. On the flipside, the situation is still better than if they weren't selling everything they have obviously, just if they could flood the market they would because it's just money they're not getting at this point. Arguably though the current issues might convert into future sales which wouldn't happen if people bought the current cards(a lot of people don't upgrade every gen) so they might not care that much cause they know they're not losing sales overall, just during this fiscal year, it's not like AMD is selling a tons of cards and they're actively losing market shares, if anything AMD is selling even less cards since they're using a lot of the stuff they get into consoles.

Sucks from a user perspective though.

This bottleneck has been growing worse for 6+ months now, right? I'm not familiar at all with electronic supply chains and I know the silicon/wafer stuff is extremely difficult to set up new supply for. But how come they haven't been able to scale up really at all?

As you said, I'm sure its making some executive somewhere sick they are watching money being gobbled up by arbitrage retail exploiters that they could be making if they could just increase supply.

• 2Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
This bottleneck has been growing worse for 6+ months now, right? I'm not familiar at all with electronic supply chains and I know the silicon/wafer stuff is extremely difficult to set up new supply for. But how come they haven't been able to scale up really at all?

As you said, I'm sure its making some executive somewhere sick they are watching money being gobbled up by arbitrage retail exploiters that they could be making if they could just increase supply.

Silicon ingots take a long time to grow, if they shut down for most or all of the last year it's going to take a long time to catch back up. I'm betting there are only a handful of locations that can do this as well.

When I worked for a company that grew them in North Texas, a small tremor in California would ruin all ingots currently being created. I want to say it would take about 1-2 weeks for a 20ft ingot to be created(This was in 2000, so my timings and length could be off).

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
One of the silicon makers is in Taiwan I think it was they are in a drought and last I looked the government was asking them to scale back their water usage, which apparently they need a lot of. Just in time logistics is working out to be not just in time.

• 1Solidarity