NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
There is definitely merit in waiting another generation for DDR5 RAM, I've got to imagine it makes for a decent improvement given the potential clock speed increases on RAM.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
There is definitely merit in waiting another generation for DDR5 RAM, I've got to imagine it makes for a decent improvement given the potential clock speed increases on RAM.
But how will they be determining who the lucky owners of the 5 produced video cards will be?

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I had an Alienware Aurora (?) prebuilt, water cooled back in 2010 in anticipation for FFXIV 1.0. Cost somewhere around 2k. Game ended up being shit but the computer served me well. I ended up reselling it.

Edit, found specs in email. Probably thought I was hot shit with dual video cards lol.

View attachment 342189
Yeah I understand the hate of the older ones but Auroras been bad ass. This machine has been fantastic and I’m going to miss it when I sell it for $4k.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So those buying prebuilt systems with a 30x card what is/was your wait time when ordering? Wife is probably due for an upgrade so was thinking of getting a 3080 prebuilt then doing the video card shuffle between the families computers. And for prebuilt whos the go to vendors?
I live not so far from MicroCenter, so I just looked at their inventory online, walked in, and walked out with the PC I wanted.

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I would advise getting the upgrade to water cooling if you do get an alienware. The biggest complaint on their current systems seems to be CPU thermals with their cases, and it is only $40 for the upgrade. Deals on them have been popping up on slickdeals.net fairly often.

• 1Like

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
  • 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Idk if some of the guys here have time to wait the 5-6 years before it’s on the shelf available. They’re on some ancient stuff already.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
On a lot of the premades like Omen/Alienware they're gonna be loud and run hot - it's the nature of the beast and the nature of the cases they are building in. They look great, but even the upgraded watercooling does little to alleviate those issues. There is also no way to add more fans, etc so keep that in mind.

That said, they are available and the systems themselves are not wildly overpriced like some others. They seem to run great, and only really sound like aircraft carriers on certain games in certain situations.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nvidia patting themselves on then back for trying while they run to the bank with all their money.

Adrian Williams Thank You GIF by Peloton

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
On a lot of the premades like Omen/Alienware they're gonna be loud and run hot - it's the nature of the beast and the nature of the cases they are building in. They look great, but even the upgraded watercooling does little to alleviate those issues. There is also no way to add more fans, etc so keep that in mind.

That said, they are available and the systems themselves are not wildly overpriced like some others. They seem to run great, and only really sound like aircraft carriers on certain games in certain situations.
You can replace the case fans in an AW R10. They're a pain in the ass to get to but they do fit standard size fans.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
For better fans, yeah, but not more. You're always going to run up against not enough air flow for the size of the case and components, at least in my experience, and in the experience of everyone who's ever reviewed one.

Not to say it's not worth it, just be aware of the limitations of the case design.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I would advise getting the upgrade to water cooling if you do get an alienware. The biggest complaint on their current systems seems to be CPU thermals with their cases, and it is only $40 for the upgrade. Deals on them have been popping up on slickdeals.net fairly often.
Yeah I did that and zero issues also it runs quiet too.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well, what's the point of reviewing cards that <1% of your viewers can actually buy?

Eventually it has to hurt the entire enthusiast industry if there's no parts available. Nobody wants a new case unless they have new parts to put in it.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well, what's the point of reviewing cards that <1% of your viewers can actually buy?

Eventually it has to hurt the entire enthusiast industry if there's no parts available. Nobody wants a new case unless they have new parts to put in it.
I wasn’t really disagreeing with his stance, if that’s what it is. He just really came off as “who gives a fuck” in the video. He’s usually kind of cynical/joking but this one he came off much more fed up than usual. I was just commenting on it, didn’t have a point really. If I wouldn’t have got a card months ago and was still trying I’d be angry at the situation by now.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Nvidia, and even AMD are laughing all the way to the bank for the extreme demand vs supply - but this shortage is fucking the user in more ways than one. Why would a game company even worry about pushing graphical limits if less than <10% of their users can even get the next card in line.

I would say monopoly, but Im not even sure who to blame in this situation. Nvidia? The silicon manufacturer?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Nvidia and AMDs margins are not great on consumer GPUs. They're not happy about this, they need to be selling in volume. Add to that the tariffs and they are really not making out here.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Nvidia and AMDs margins are not great on consumer GPUs. They're not happy about this, they need to be selling in volume. Add to that the tariffs and they are really not making out here.
Nvidia Stock.jpg

tenor.gif

• 1Like
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 1 users