NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Stave

Potato del Grande
yeah you'll get back his old card or shit and there isn't fuck all you can do, ebay mercari etc always side with the buyer. just like walmart has to deal with shoplifters, if you sell on ebay you eventually have to deal with fraudsters

anyways alienware has a 3080 pc build for ~$2k seems like a decent build if you need a PC asap
From what I have read, if he sends me back a card with a different S/N (I took a photo of the one I sold him's S/N before shipping it), people said to file a police report and then contact ebay with the police report info and then I have a much better chance. Not saying that's what he will do but want to be prepared so I don't get caught off guard.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
From what I have read, if he sends me back a card with a different S/N (I took a photo of the one I sold him's S/N before shipping it), people said to file a police report and then contact ebay with the police report info and then I have a much better chance. Not saying that's what he will do but want to be prepared so I don't get caught off guard.
Happening to me now too on my 6800xt. I’m done with eBay honestly

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
My latest ebay response...

Attn EBay case advisor

I suspect this marks the end of my relationship with your application. For almost twenty years, and 10s of thousands of dollars in transactions (the majority being computer parts to support my pc building side biz), it’s clear to me your site has become utterly overrun with scammers and con artists. The majority of which residing on the “buyers” side of the transaction. The buyers protection policy has created a ton of avenues ripe for exploitation by unscrupulous buyers with no intention of actually purchasing the items. While noble as an idea (and needed), the implementation leaves the seller totally exposed to fraud, as evidenced in this transaction.

In this case in particular, this part was purchased bnib from eBay, and has worked flawlessly from arrival until I pulled it to sell. It was then packaged EXACTLY as shipped from manufacturer and boxed surrounded by bubble bladders. Could it have been damaged in shipping? Perhaps, though I suspect that isn’t the case here. Given the rise in both pricing and demand for pc components this past year, I’d be curious on statistics re returns/“damaged” merch on pc parts vs eBay transactions as a whole. I imagine the percentage is significantly higher.

The notion that I, a computer builder for twenty years “improperly installed a one thousand dollar gpu”, then sold it as like new is absurd and frankly, despicable. To what end? $100 in profit? I make more than that in half an hour of work. I’m livid here.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
yeah you'll get back his old card or shit and there isn't fuck all you can do, ebay mercari etc always side with the buyer. just like walmart has to deal with shoplifters, if you sell on ebay you eventually have to deal with fraudsters

anyways alienware has a 3080 pc build for ~$2k seems like a decent build if you need a PC asap
Returning my omen for this, great link. Got it ordered for 2.1k delivered with 16gb ram and 1tb nvme drive

Stave

Potato del Grande
Happening to me now too on my 6800xt. I’m done with eBay honestly
Ouch. Im out a card I paid $350 for 3 years ago. Sounds like you're out a lot more. Fuck ebay, I'd rather sell local even if it takes longer and I only get 2/3rds the value.

• 1Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
yeah, the rise of Amazon has really shifted the power all the way to the buyer on eBay. Buyers expect things fast, free shipped and cheap and in perfect condition, even if used and free returns even if there is nothing wrong with the item. eBay has had to respond this way for user retention, I would imagine. This has caused a serious increase in scammers and time wasters.

The only way eBay treats you with respect as a seller is if you are one that does 100s or 1000s of transactions a month, and even then, I am pretty sure they are siding with the buyer, but also giving us our money back in these potential scam situations to keep us happy. The site gets worse for small business sellers every year (we have to eat so much more cost now from non-defective returns and the like), but is exponentially worse for casual sellers who get basically 0 protection from scammers.

• 1Like

Stave

Potato del Grande
yeah, the rise of Amazon has really shifted the power all the way to the buyer on eBay. Buyers expect things fast, free shipped and cheap and in perfect condition, even if used and free returns even if there is nothing wrong with the item. eBay has had to respond this way for user retention, I would imagine. This has caused a serious increase in scammers and time wasters.

The only way eBay treats you with respect as a seller is if you are one that does 100s or 1000s of transactions a month, and even then, I am pretty sure they are siding with the buyer, but also giving us our money back in these potential scam situations to keep us happy. The site gets worse for small business sellers every year (we have to eat so much more cost now from non-defective returns and the like), but is exponentially worse for casual sellers who get basically 0 protection from scammers.

Eventually I have to imagine they are going to have a lot less sellers and a lot less stock which will probably see the rise of more competition. Doesn't help that they just nixed PayPal for sellers as well and you have to give them your SSN to even sell on it. High value items just aren't worth selling on there anymore.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Man I just refuse to get a fucking dell with their shitty Intel procs and 200% bloatware. I mean the price is good and all at $2k but I priced out the same thing with a 5800x (which is superior in every way to that POS intel) And im at about $2k with a MSRP 3080. But im also getting 2x 1tb SSD, a 3tb 7200rpm, 3600mhz cl16 ram, gold cert 750 power supply. Watercool all in one, Corsair 5000D case extra premo fans. Which all comes in under $1350 for everything except the damn stupid 3080. Which is MSRP about $700-750. No offense but that dell looks like shit too.

Man I just refuse to do it. Nope, not gonna do it.

Plus next year the new Ryzens come out along with new chipset with DDR5 support and probably even better still, so yeah, ill wait. Ill slum on my 1070 for another year. If im gonna spend $2k on something, ill make sure its what Iw ant not just hey its got a 3080! But the rest of it sucks my balls.

Last edited:

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Man I just refuse to get a fucking dell with their shitty Intel procs and 200% bloatware. I mean the price is good and all at $2k but I priced out the same thing with a 5800x (which is superior in every way to that POS intel) And im at about $2k with a MSRP 3080. But im also getting 2x 1tb SSD, a 3tb 7200rpm, 3600mhz cl16 ram, gold cert 750 power supply. Watercool all in one, Corsair 5000D case extra premo fans. Which all comes in under $1350 for everything except the damn stupid 3080. Which is MSRP about $700-750. No offense but that dell looks like shit too.

Man I just refuse to do it. Nope, not gonna do it.

Plus next year the new Ryzens come out along with new chipset with DDR5 support and probably even better still, so yeah, ill wait. Ill slum on my 1070 for another year. If im gonna spend $2k on something, ill make sure its what Iw ant not just hey its got a 3080! But the rest of it sucks my balls.
Funny got mine and it’s running like a champ. At the beginning of the install you have the option to uncheck everything now which I did.

Springbok Springbok the model is the same one I got save my specs. So far I’m having a blast. Just uncheck all the shit at install and you are gtg. (The Alienware updater is worth it just to have it ez mode all your driver updates, turn everything else off)

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Funny got mine and it’s running like a champ. At the beginning of the install you have the option to uncheck everything now which I did.

Springbok Springbok the model is the same one I got save my specs. So far I’m having a blast. Just uncheck all the shit at install and you are gtg. (The Alienware updater is worth it just to have it ez mode all your driver updates, turn everything else off)
How are thermals and noise? The omen is loud af!! This dell just a much better deal honestly

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My latest ebay response...

Attn EBay case advisor

I suspect this marks the end of my relationship with your application. For almost twenty years, and 10s of thousands of dollars in transactions (the majority being computer parts to support my pc building side biz), it’s clear to me your site has become utterly overrun with scammers and con artists. The majority of which residing on the “buyers” side of the transaction. The buyers protection policy has created a ton of avenues ripe for exploitation by unscrupulous buyers with no intention of actually purchasing the items. While noble as an idea (and needed), the implementation leaves the seller totally exposed to fraud, as evidenced in this transaction.

In this case in particular, this part was purchased bnib from eBay, and has worked flawlessly from arrival until I pulled it to sell. It was then packaged EXACTLY as shipped from manufacturer and boxed surrounded by bubble bladders. Could it have been damaged in shipping? Perhaps, though I suspect that isn’t the case here. Given the rise in both pricing and demand for pc components this past year, I’d be curious on statistics re returns/“damaged” merch on pc parts vs eBay transactions as a whole. I imagine the percentage is significantly higher.

The notion that I, a computer builder for twenty years “improperly installed a one thousand dollar gpu”, then sold it as like new is absurd and frankly, despicable. To what end? $100 in profit? I make more than that in half an hour of work. I’m livid here.

Honestly I don't see a future for eBay as it once existed. They're going to have to come up with a way to screen buyers somehow, maybe using credit ratings to filter who can buy bigger ticket items, or they're going to burn. When I sold a used 3090 a few months ago I was really pretty worried that someone would scam me after reading a lot of horror stories. My first listing was bought very quickly with no negotiation, I had the option for making an offer and I expected some haggling since the overpriced GPUs was still a new thing then. Nope, someone with 0 rep buys it and ebay's telling me to go and ship immediately. I was 100% sure it was a scammer, so I managed to cancel it. But it may not have been, I don't know.

The next listing took longer and someone with hundreds of feedback in good standing bought it and I was relieved. Then I packed it up and from what I could tell, it looked like it was brand new and I shipped it in it's OEM static bag/box. The guy gets it, says it's scratched and wants $250 back or he'll send it back. I know it didn't go out scratched, I know it's just a scammer taking the slower path by not completely stealing the whole item, so it's unlikely he'll ever be caught before meeting his maker. Or maybe i'm a moron and it was scratched like he showed a picture of or it got damaged in shipping somehow. In any case, I have two options, give him the $250 or get negative feedback (I don't sell much on ebay so a negative feedback would probably make me never sell again) and get back a card he would then damage as much as he could get away with. So pay this wonderful ebayer $250 or have to wait, then relist then hope to not get ripped off again, this time with a damaged product. I paid the jackass but at least I didn't have to worry about it anymore. $250 was worth it not to have to go through the ebay gauntlet again.

Sell locally if you can, in cash, at police stations or banks.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I was gone from ebay quite a few years when I began getting emails and shit about my ebay listing not being received by customer or whatever. So I log on and notice someone is using my ebay as their store, lol. Contacted them and got it all sorted. But yeah fuck ebay, its not what it used to be back in the early late 90s and early 2Ks.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I was gone from ebay quite a few years when I began getting emails and shit about my ebay listing not being received by customer or whatever. So I log on and notice someone is using my ebay as their store, lol. Contacted them and got it all sorted. But yeah fuck ebay, its not what it used to be back in the early late 90s and early 2Ks.
Yeah it was fantastic then. I made some damn good money as a teen buying poorly painted warhammer armies. I’d strip em in green stuff, repaint and sell 5-10x what I paid.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Stave

Potato del Grande
When I was researching video card prices, I came across multiple listings for like 3080's where it said "digital edition". They'd sell for like $700. I opened them up and saw the seller saying you recieve a digital image of the item, not the actual item, and that by buying this item you are 100% understanding of that. People were buying them left and right and there were many for sale. I reported the items to ebay. Came back the next day and the same seller was still there selling the same "digital edition" video cards. They don't give a shit about scams as long as they are getting their cut.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I was researching video card prices, I came across multiple listings for like 3080's where it said "digital edition". They'd sell for like $700. I opened them up and saw the seller saying you recieve a digital image of the item, not the actual item, and that by buying this item you are 100% understanding of that. People were buying them left and right and there were many for sale. I reported the items to ebay. Came back the next day and the same seller was still there selling the same "digital edition" video cards. They don't give a shit about scams as long as they are getting their cut.
This is the definition of shitty and I hope the people who did this get hit be a semi, but it did make me laugh.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
it's basically just the "original box, product not inside" scam with a new flavor.
Also seen as just the manual, not the product itself scam.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Well I offered my buyer a $200 partial refund and told him he can keep the card. He seemed decent about it and accepted it. From what I read, this closes the INAD case and he cannot open another one. So all in all I end up having gotten $350 for the card and get to wipe my hands from the ordeal. Better than eating $550 + additional shipping charges I guess. I assume the card must not actually be dead because why would anyone want to keep a dead card for $350.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well I offered my buyer a $200 partial refund and told him he can keep the card. He seemed decent about it and accepted it. From what I read, this closes the INAD case and he cannot open another one. So all in all I end up having gotten $350 for the card and get to wipe my hands from the ordeal. Better than eating $550 + additional shipping charges I guess. I assume the card must not actually be dead because why would anyone want to keep a dead card for $350.
They'll probably scam the dead card on another site.