NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Did you update your GPU drivers? Only the ones that came out today support it.

Also enabling Resizable BAR in the BIOS requires a few extra options relating to disabling legacy boot stuff on some motherboards, like Disable CSM Support. You must be booting off a GPT partition or your computer will not boot Windows after making the change.
Double thanks for the assist. Took me a min as I had to figure out how to create a bootable WinPE drive to do the conversion but went off without a hitch.

1617159336396.png

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Did you update your GPU drivers? Only the ones that came out today support it.

Also enabling Resizable BAR in the BIOS requires a few extra options relating to disabling legacy boot stuff on some motherboards, like Disable CSM Support. You must be booting off a GPT partition or your computer will not boot Windows after making the change.

Possibly. Not 100% saying it was that one, they all run together at some point. I tried to go back and find it after posting but between Gamers Nexus, Linus, Hardware Unboxed, More's Law, Digital Foundry, and whatever else "the algorithm" suggests on a given day it was nowhere to be found.
This is one of the many reasons that Im subjective about the "programmed to take advantage of it" when it seems more like a system function. Im not going to say its not possible that a game isnt able to take advantage of it - but it seems far fetched that they are fully taking advantage of anything similar. Regardless of how long BAR has been out. It only became relevant AGAIN simply because of a competitor taunting them with it.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am in fact on a 750W, but a very high quality one. However, it is 22 months old and used fairly heavily. I was lucky and just snagged an Seasonic Prime TX 850W at retail price, which has compatible cables for the Seasonic I already have. 1000W PSUs are damn near impossible to find right now.

I also just swapped in a much higher wattage UPS. I might have been hitting max draw on the old one, though it never sounded any alarms.

I'll RMA the 750W and use it in something else I guess. Maybe 11600K or 5600X build for my 4k TV, gotta find a less power hungry GPU though lol.

Regardless, it really should not have been hitting the power limit with the heavy undervolt I had on it, but it's possible something weird happened. It definitely looked like something power related, the screen flickered like the GPU drivers were trying to recover and then I looked over at my PC just in time to see the RTX logo LED flash on my GPU and then the BIOS codes on the motherboard started cycling and it rebooted.
a very high quality PSU should last longer than you do. 22 months should basically be good as new.

No current video card requires a 1kW PSU. I'd suggest looking into the articles by igor's lab on PSU and current GPUs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
a very high quality PSU should last longer than you do. 22 months should basically be good as new.

No current video card requires a 1kW PSU. I'd suggest looking into the articles by igor's lab on PSU and current GPUs.
Yeah, I can't really figure it out. Either my undervolt isn't 100% stable, or it really is triggering the overload or overcurrent protection, or there's something actually wrong with the PSU.

I've only had 2 unexplained reboots on this machine but both were in the past 2 months. One was while idle on the desktop very shortly after powering up my machine, but I think that's because I had also just fired up the 185W Dell Precision that work had sent me, with both my gaming PC plugged into the battery side of a 600W UPS. It also could have been that my undervolt at the low end of the curve was way too low.

Last edited:

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Yeah, I can't really figure it out. Either my undervolt isn't 100% stable, or it really is triggering the overload or overcurrent protection, or there's something actually wrong with the PSU.

I've only had 2 unexplained reboots on this machine but both were in the past 2 months. One was while idle on the desktop very shortly after powering up my machine, but I think that's because I had also just fired up the 185W Dell Precision that work had sent me, with both my gaming PC plugged into the battery side of a 600W UPS. It also could have been that my undervolt at the low end of the curve was way too low.
power_consumption-rtx3080.jpg

GN or an LTT Video said that a 750w Power Supply is adequate, but recommends a 1000w supply. Depending on what hardware you're running and what you have plugged into it.

Also "
Optimal PSU load
As a general rule of thumb PSUs are most efficient at about 50% load. You'll still want to check your specific PSU to make sure your load will fall within the most efficient range for the unit."

Mist Mist , are you monitoring your thermals?

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
power_consumption-rtx3080.jpg

GN or an LTT Video said that a 750w Power Supply is adequate, but recommends a 1000w supply. Depending on what hardware you're running and what you have plugged into it.

Also "
Optimal PSU load
As a general rule of thumb PSUs are most efficient at about 50% load. You'll still want to check your specific PSU to make sure your load will fall within the most efficient range for the unit."

Mist Mist , are you monitoring your thermals?
Yes, thermals are all super good, the 200MM fans on my case pump a ton of air in there and I am monitoring everything with HWINFO64 monitoring feeding an overlay via RTSS. GPU never gets above 71C, never gets above 69C with the undervolt. CPU doesn't get above 74C under peak load. I could technically undervolt the CPU a little bit but don't want to add confounds into the experiment.

My new UPS is also monitoring wattage, though I'm not paying 150+ dollars for the SNMP card so I can monitor it via a network tool, so I just kinda have to peak at the LCD screen.

Fucker

Log Wizard
why are you undervolting anything?
So she can be mystified when her computer reboots while playing games. Also, she doesn't know how to work a thermostat, and that 70 watts of power she is saving is a half gallon less of tit sweat she puts out.

231.gif

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So she can be mystified when her computer reboots while playing games. Also, she doesn't know how to work a thermostat, and that 70 watts of power she is saving is a half gallon less of tit sweat she puts out.

View attachment 345348
Yeah you're fucking retarded and don't know what you're talking about. Non-undervolted cards are even more likely to trigger overload protection on 750W PSUs and there are tons of reports out there of this happening at stock power settings on 750W, including in a Linus video.

At this point there is no way to rule out whether voltage spikes going too high caused the reboot or whether it is the undervolt, but undervolting generally does not cause reboots so it is still far more likely the former than the latter. It could also have just been running near the max output wattage on the UPS.

I have no idea why anyone would want to run a card at 70W hotter than they have to for no performance gain, and in fact, the potential for more FPS dips due to downthrottling. That's a lot of fucking watts for nothing.

You should take a look at the actual behavior of a 3080 before you comment. At stock settings the thing will constantly cycle between 1710mhz and 1930mhz, causing weird looking jitter on an FPS graph, when you can just undervolt it and peg it at 1850ish for much more consistent frametimes, which means a generally smoother experience, especially when using an FPS limiter and adaptive sync.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah you're fucking retarded and don't know what you're talking about. Non-undervolted cards are even more likely to trigger overload protection on 750W PSUs and there are tons of reports out there of this happening at stock power settings on 750W, including in a Linus video.

At this point there is no way to rule out whether voltage spikes going too high caused the reboot or whether it is the undervolt, but undervolting generally does not cause reboots so it is still far more likely the former than the latter. It could also have just been running near the max output wattage on the UPS.

I have no idea why anyone would want to run a card at 70W hotter than they have to for no performance gain, and in fact, the potential for more FPS dips due to downthrottling. That's a lot of fucking watts for nothing.

You should take a look at the actual behavior of a 3080 before you comment. At stock settings the thing will constantly cycle between 1710mhz and 1930mhz, causing weird looking jitter on an FPS graph, when you can just undervolt it and peg it at 1850ish for much more consistent frametimes, which means a generally smoother experience, especially when using an FPS limiter and adaptive sync.

I have a 100% stable PC under all circumstances. Yours reboots and you don't know why. I'll give you a hint: don't fiddle with it since you clearly don't know what the fuck you are doing. Also, I know how to work a thermostat. Who is the retard now?

Learn how to build a PC, leave it stock, and chances are you won't have problems.

Or you might. You can't even work a thermostat.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I have a 100% stable PC under all circumstances. Yours reboots and you don't know why. I'll give you a hint: don't fiddle with it since you clearly don't know what the fuck you are doing. Also, I know how to work a thermostat. Who is the retard now?

Learn how to build a PC, leave it stock, and chances are you won't have problems.

Or you might. You can't even work a thermostat.
Do you have a 3080? This same computer was 100% stable running 14+ hours a day for an entire year with a 1080 in it.

We're also talking about 2 reboots in 6 months of having my 3080.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
This same computer was 100% stable running 14+ hours a day for an entire year with a 1080 in it.

1080 to 3080 doesn't just skyrocket power demands, it also explodes usage of cpu/etc via raw fps & driver requirements. That big an upgrade can expose weaknesses in a system.

As we all know, if there's any weakness in your system, it needs to be disposed of ASAP!

Also, unless you're a licensed electrical engineer, you are in violation of multiple OSHA laws by altering any voltages.

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
you do a memtest?
Yes, memtest86 and prime95, extensively. Computer is rock solid on prime95 even with stress testing with AVX instructions, so it's definitely not a CPU or memory issue.

I'm really starting to think it was the UPS but I'm swapping in the bigger PSU tonight anyway after watching a couple other videos and posts on the topic of 3080s and 3090s tripping out 750W power supplies.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
0E8E7ACA-A4CC-4CF6-9C54-93954D5D0E62.jpeg

Paid 699.99 msrp.
No faggot scalpers, no ‘discord alerts’ , no Reddit nonsense. Just walked into a store on my own terms, and walked out, ez pz.
Also had to pay 2499 for a razer tomahawk rig in order to get the card but that’s neither here nor there!

Last edited:
  • 13Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 15 users