NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
So I'll be getting that cyberpowerpc with the Ryzen 9 5900x and a 3080. System comes with a 120mm aio; is that adequate? Not really planning to oc but worried about both that cooler and the psu, which is supposedly an 80+ gold 800w Apevia.

if it was one of the ones xexx or i linked from best buy read the notes or questions or some shit on the best buy site, someone mentioned the fan was on backwards or something on the system they bought lol

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My EVGA 3090 notification from an Oct 2020 signup finally came in the other day, is it worth it to buy for mining still? Seems like $7.50 a day in profit currently, but that'll diminish a ton wont it?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My EVGA 3090 notification from an Oct 2020 signup finally came in the other day, is it worth it to buy for mining still? Seems like $7.50 a day in profit currently, but that'll diminish a ton wont it?
damn im still 2mos behind you ....fuuuuuu

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
You have at least half a year of mining (but probably more like a year+) so even at what is currently $7.50 a day you'll recoup quite a bit of that. Then if you hodl your crypto it'll likely be worth quite a bit more.

How much is it?

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well I ordered it, figure if nothing else i'll sell my FE for $2.5 to $3k and pocket a few pesos after ebay fees unless I sell it locally.

3090 xc3 ultra, opted for a hybrid kit too so the total was just shy of $2k.

• 2Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

depends on the card

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
EVGA been putting in work, I’ve had 3 hits off waitlist in last month or so. Thinking to build some around them with the 5000D and vert mounts.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Like typical Amazon my ASUS ROG Strix 3070 desktop build keeps getting ship notices that it's moved forward. I'll get it next week now. I don't really want it, and thinking about ripping the 3070 out of it and re-selling it with my 1080Ti, and then just sell the 3070? Or keep the 3070 and call it a win. Not sure.

I've got a 5950x I'm trying to sell as well but I guess in my part of town no one wants it. Haven't had a single bit on it, and I'm only at $900 which isn't that much over MSRP.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Well my Cyberpower came in early, checking it out now. No egregious installation problems that I see, but for $2500 I'm pretty disappointed in the component selection. Garbage tier Asus Prime X570-P motherboard (I was expecting an Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus), 16 GB of XPG DDR4 3000 (knew this was the case ahead of time). GPU is an EVGA 3080 XC3, I wish it was an FTW3 or at least an XC3 Ultra, but beggers can't be choosers coming from a GTX 980. I do find it pretty amazing that my old pc is 6 years old now (built in 2015) and it has better/more memory than this brand new $2500 pc (coming from an i7 5930k running 32 GB of DDR4 3000 in quad channel, going to this with 16 GB of DDR4 3000 in dual channel. I'm just surprised 6 years gets me less bandwidth at the same speed I guess). Taking into consideration scalper pricing, I guess you could theoretically say I got an entire pc for $700 since the GPU is going for $1800 by itself. The audio on this motherboard is so trash I would almost feel obligated to buy a separate sound card, but I already have a Fiio K5 Pro USB Dac that I use for headphones, I'll just use that for all audio now I guess. I am genuinely curious how much faster this system will be than my old system, I have a feeling the margin (outside of the GPU) is relatively small

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well they are not going to shower you with best of the best, look above at the $3500 system for compare.

Also that board is trash tier? Why? Its a $200 mid range board?

As to the performance, assuming you got the AMD5800x

Capture0008.PNG

And also assuming the Ryzen 7 5800x it only supports dual channel memory.

OF course if you built one yourself you could choose all these components and install them in tender loving care fashion, maybe even save $300-$500, get the case you want, better PS, etc..etc.. But it all comes down to availability of the stupid GPU, in which case you did as I did and bought a pre-built system.

The times are rough out there.

Even so the thing will run circles around your old PC.

Last edited:

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Well they are not going to shower you with best of the best, look above at the $3500 system for compare.

Also that board is trash tier? Why? Its a $200 mid range board?

As to the performance, assuming you got the AMD5800x

View attachment 359016

And also assuming the Ryzen 7 5800x it only supports dual channel memory.

OF course if you built one yourself you could choose all these components and install them in tender loving care fashion, maybe even save $300-$500, get the case you want, better PS, etc..etc.. But it all comes down to availability of the stupid GPU, in which case you did as I did and bought a pre-built system.

The times are rough out there.

Even so the thing will run circles around your old PC.

It's a Ryzen 9 5900x, so hopefully it outperforms those benchmarks as well. I'm just curious of the real world performance difference, not synthetic benchmarks etc. Like you said though, the gpu is the problem and my old GTX 980 was woefully inadequate at this stage. The mobo is OK, garbage tier is a bit of hyperbole on my part. It's absolutely a bargain basement X570 board though, the TUF Gaming X570 Plus that I was expecting is their mid range mobo. I'll also add this Cyberpower Eluna 242v case is pretty mediocre. Can add some top fans, but there is virtually zero airflow from any fans added to the front (solid front panel with maybe 1/2 cm of gap on the sides)

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well there you go bro. Just in the proc and the Mo BO youre talking almost a grand right there. Add in the MSRP of the card at $800-$850 and youre nearing 2 grand. Plus all the other bullshit you got, ram, PS, HD etc.... Probably not the best of the best but like I said, this thing will run circles around your old system guaran-fuking-teed.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Was finally able to snag the 6800xt I've been wanting - Asrock Taichi 6800xt. So far, so good. The card is a fucking tank though and by far the largest, fattest card I've ever had (quite a bit fatter than the 3080 Zotac, and longer fatter than the MSI Gaming Trio 3070).

Anxiously awaiting what AMD has up their sleeve next week but not expecting too much.

Now to sell my 3070.... thinking of facebook marketplace as I'm tired of fucking with Ebay and their archaic buyer/seller protection bullshit.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Now to sell my 3070.... thinking of facebook marketplace as I'm tired of fucking with Ebay and their archaic buyer/seller protection bullshit.
It's been since February that I really sold anything, but I used FB Marketplace to great success. In my area, tons of buyers on there, and none of them even haggled on price. OfferUp and Craigslist are trash in comparison.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user