NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Checked the webstores here in Sweden and this one has 22 in stock. But at $2300 I'm not surprised.

rtx3080ti.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
(CA specific, other states have their own #'s I assume)

TL;DR - Gaming machines manufactured between January 1, 2019 and July 1, 2021 can use no more than 50, 80, or 100 kWH a year. Anything made after July 1 is further restricted to 50, 60, or 70 kWH a year. The Dell computer people are talking about uses 63kWH when idle.

As a CA resident I can't say I'm exactly salty over it. We are on track to use as much electricity as Italy by 2024 and we already have a ton of energy problems.
As a California resident that doesn’t care for how much electricity you already consume are you ok with adding millions of EVs to the grid? Are you ok with air conditioning?

You’re fine with killing PCs (that not a ton of people use) at 50 kWh per year so I assume you think AC (which everyone uses) which uses 500kWh seasonally should be banned as well. In hot areas an AC unit will use 40x that pc’s power consumption annually. EVs are even worse. If you’re driving 12k miles a year you’re around 5,000 kWh per year or 100x that PC. EVs are something that will be mandated in California and eventually elsewhere.

This law is retarded. If you seriously want to fix your grid then ban AC and EVs, something everyone uses and has massive power needs. Not gaming PCs that a small percent of the population uses and isn’t even a blip on your grid.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
As a California resident that doesn’t care for how much electricity you already consume are you ok with adding millions of EVs to the grid? Are you ok with air conditioning?

You’re fine with killing PCs (that not a ton of people use) at 50 kWh per year so I assume you think AC (which everyone uses) which uses 500kWh seasonally should be banned as well. In hot areas an AC unit will use 40x that pc’s power consumption annually. EVs are even worse. If you’re driving 12k miles a year you’re around 5,000 kWh per year or 100x that PC. EVs are something that will be mandated in California and eventually elsewhere.

This law is retarded. If you seriously want to fix your grid then ban AC and EVs, something everyone uses and has massive power needs. Not gaming PCs that a small percent of the population uses and isn’t even a blip on your grid.

You know they would get crucified if they banned AC's. EV's fit that Cali hippie cause.

The funny thing about that law, is that if you have more/powerful shit hanging off your PC, the more lax that law becomes. On top of that, those that build their own PC's don't fall under this shit. Guess it's too much to regulate every component? ALSO servers are exempt? Makes no sense.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You know they would get crucified if they banned AC's. EV's fit that Cali hippie cause.

The funny thing about that law, is that if you have more/powerful shit hanging off your PC, the more lax that law becomes. On top of that, those that build their own PC's don't fall under this shit. Guess it's to much to regulate every component? ALSO servers are exempt? Makes no sense.
I know. These people “care” about their electricity usage and the environment only when it’s something that they personally do not use. If they really cared we would have nuclear power plants before we started mandating EVs. Allowing air conditioning and EVs but banning certain consumer products they personally don’t use...virtue signaling bullshit.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I know. These people “care” about their electricity usage and the environment only when it’s something that they personally do not use. If they really cared we would have nuclear power plants before we started mandating EVs. Allowing air conditioning and EVs but banning certain consumer products they personally don’t use...virtue signaling bullshit.
We have rolling brown outs occasionally.

We just don't have the power capacity for existing loads and buy energy from out of state in order to function as it is. Mandating EVs only for new car sales is peak :honkler: 🌎

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Wow you guys really love to shoot the messenger huh? I don't give a fuck. People asked for the regulation TLDR and I gave it. Get out of here with the leading questions.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
(CA specific, other states have their own #'s I assume)

TL;DR - Gaming machines manufactured between January 1, 2019 and July 1, 2021 can use no more than 50, 80, or 100 kWH a year. Anything made after July 1 is further restricted to 50, 60, or 70 kWH a year. The Dell computer people are talking about uses 63kWH when idle.

As a CA resident I can't say I'm exactly salty over it. We are on track to use as much electricity as Italy by 2024 and we already have a ton of energy problems.

Wow you guys really love to shoot the messenger huh? I don't give a fuck. People asked for the regulation TLDR and I gave it. Get out of here with the leading questions.
Your first post is a tacit approval of the bullshit.

I'll gladly shoot you for your libshittery.

• 1Truth!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I really do wonder the mental state of some of you in this forum - They want to lower power use? So fuckin what, lower it and stop being manchilds over it.

Oh no! I cant get shitty overpriced piece of plastic thats worse than some other prebuilts bc it uses too much power....

Boo fuckin hoo, go build your own shit and shut the fuck up.

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Imbecile

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This statement.

“As a CA resident I can't say I'm exactly salty over it. We are on track to use as much electricity as Italy by 2024 and we already have a ton of energy problems.”

Yeah you gave the regulation but you also stated you’re fine with it because you need to use less power. Being fine with consumers being denied a few products due to minuscule electricity usage just because you’re consuming massive amounts of energy elsewhere is silly.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I really do wonder the mental state of some of you in this forum - They want to lower power use? So fuckin what, lower it and stop being manchilds over it.

Oh no! I cant get shitty overpriced piece of plastic thats worse than some other prebuilts bc it uses too much power....

It’s because they’re going after small potatoes. You want to lower usage in meaningful way? Turn off your AC, stop beating the EV drum. Until then it’s all bullshit.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Your first post is a tacit approval of the bullshit.
Not being mad about something is not the same as approving of something.

Yeah you gave the regulation but you also stated you’re fine with it because you need to use less power.
I'm fine with it because I'm not a fucking pleb still hunting a 30** card and considering buying Dell prebuilts lol gtfoh

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

The funny thing about that law, is that if you have more/powerful shit hanging off your PC, the more lax that law becomes. On top of that, those that build their own PC's don't fall under this shit. Guess it's too much to regulate every component? ALSO servers are exempt? Makes no sense.
The law seems to be just plain written wrong. It's like they were trying to regulate office desktops idle power usage (a really good fucking idea since those things are idle like 70% of the day) and went off the fucking rails somewhere.

EDIT: Nope, turns out the law is written correctly, Dell just sucks.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The law seems to be just plain written wrong. It's like they were trying to regulate office desktops idle power usage (a really good fucking idea since those things are idle like 70% of the day) and went off the fucking rails somewhere.
Yeah, big surprise lawmakers don’t understand reality.

• 1Solidarity

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

It's a democrat state. Laws are written with feelings, intelligence is not an option.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's a democrat state. Laws are written with feelings, intelligence is not an option.
The law has full exemptions for high performance gaming PCs:

1627497795110.png

1627498224053.png

It seems like the issue with the Alienware specifically is that it isn't really expandable, so it doesn't get all the exemptions that most other pre-built gaming PCs normally would, under the category of "high expandability" computers.

So this ends up being more of an "Alienwares are shit" problem than a "the law was written wrong" problem.

Also Dell had over 4 years of warning to bring these PCs into compliance and only got 1 Alienware SKU certified for sale in California.

tl;dr This law doesn't impact most gaming pre-builts, only small form-factor non-expandable pre-built PCs. Dell could have gotten these Alienwares certified and for some reason chose not to.

• 1Repost

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

You delievered the news about as objectively as Brian Stelter.

Anyways, seems like the intent and execution of the bill are government levels of retarded anyways where only smaller PC's get hard regs.

Last edited:

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The law has full exemptions for high performance gaming PCs:

View attachment 364396

View attachment 364400

It seems like the issue with the Alienware specifically is that it isn't really expandable, so it doesn't get all the exemptions that most other pre-built gaming PCs normally would, under the category of "high expandability" computers.

So this ends up being more of an "Alienwares are shit" problem than a "the law was written wrong" problem.

Also Dell had over 4 years of warning to bring these PCs into compliance and only got 1 Alienware SKU certified for sale in California.

tl;dr This law doesn't impact most gaming pre-builts, only small form-factor non-expandable pre-built PCs. Dell could have gotten these Alienwares certified and for some reason chose not to.
Jay makes it sound like more of a problem of they have to get it certified by the state than it is a problem of those computers don't qualify.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
are there even monitors that do more than 300hz, and is there a point? 300 fps?? everyone knows the eye can't see more than 30 fps and 1080p

• 1Worf

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Like everything else, the way CA goes the rest of the country follows.