NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
I keep hearing about how great nuclear energy is now with the thorium reactors but there’s very little actually being done. Why don’t one of these assholes like bezos start funding a few because the govt is never going to get it done

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I keep hearing about how great nuclear energy is now with the thorium reactors but there’s very little actually being done. Why don’t one of these assholes like bezos start funding a few because the govt is never going to get it done
Environmentalist view nuclear as worse than coal. That is why nuclear isnt developed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Cause movies like the China syndrome and seeing Chernobyl on HBO is why. Plus coal and natural gas is cheap, people just like to bitch about it.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Cause movies like the China syndrome and seeing Chernobyl on HBO is why. Plus coal and natural gas is cheap, people just like to bitch about it.
Fukashima fucked up the whole world. Japan still has only started back up a few of its nuclear reactors. And no one wants a nuclear power plant built near them, since, though rare, we get to see the results of a failure, on land, for decades, unlike when an oil company destroys a big chunk of a body of water.

Plus, I believe, due to the cost of starting up a new plant, even before any subsidies, solar and wind power are cheaper per megawatt than nuclear. But also no body wants wind mills or solar farms in their neighborhoods.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have high hopes for small "micro reactors" that could be used to power communities instead of entire regions at a time. Burying them deep underground and requiring little to no maintenance would be a game changer.

More on topic, does anyone actually expect these laws to help power consumption? Any projections?

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I have been gaming on TV's since 2008 with my 38" Westinghouse, and then after that I got a 4k TV from South Korea. Here is the unfortunate reality. Monitors are just now starting to get to the 40+" size in 2021 and TVs less than 55" are "budget'. The 48" OLED LG CX/C2 (and maybe one of the Nano Cells but it wasn't that good, IIRC) the only premium TV smaller than 55": the whole market has moved on. There just a gap now in that size range. I am "stuck" with my Sonys from 2017, 60hz refresh for another year, until hopefully Mini LED comes out and someone makes a 48" model of that, or a monitor maker moves up to 43"ish.

Hopefully by then we can by video cards at MSRP as well.
After talking to my boss who found a LG CX on sale for 1100 at MicroCenter, I stumbled upon an update to my own post: Sony makes a 43" TV that works fairly well as a 2021 4K Monitor. 2 2.1 HDMIs, 4 HDMIs overall, 120Hz refresh, VA panel, bright enough to do passable HDR and supposedly AMD Freesync and VRR coming in an firmware update per Sony, and currently $750 at the store of your choice Amazon/Best Buy/Etc. It doesn't do local/direct dimming and I don't know if its worth the compromise over a OLED or Mini LED but at just under half the price, if you want something smaller than 49/50 inches, this may be your best bet.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
A major bonus to having a thriving nuclear industry is how it enables other things, space exploration for example. Without nuclear power we would know very little about the outer solar system. All but 1 mission to Jupiter or beyond has been powered by RTGs. And the only reason we sent 1 without is because we simply lacked the Plutonium to build an RTG for that probe.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I have high hopes for small "micro reactors" that could be used to power communities instead of entire regions at a time. Burying them deep underground and requiring little to no maintenance would be a game changer.

More on topic, does anyone actually expect these laws to help power consumption? Any projections?
There was talk about each house having its own fuel cell back like 10 yrs ago. That would have been great. Imagine if even 1/8 the houses in us had their own fuel cells and the energy they overproduced went back to the grid. too bad the entire fuel cell thing never caught on in any shape and form.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Energy back to the grid is a comical joke thought up by commie idiots who don't understand how things actually work.

No energy company is going to be buying your power from you in any meaningful amount beyond short term meme value.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Energy back to the grid is a comical joke thought up by commie idiots who don't understand how things actually work.

No energy company is going to be buying your power from you in any meaningful amount beyond short term meme value.
Well Exxon refinery sells their excess power back to the power company. But of course they have it in bulk and it comes from fossil fuels so umm no lol.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Even so imagine a self sustaining power source to power your entire families existence, including EVs all powered by hydrogen. Who cares if you sell it or not. Thats not my point.

For the same capital investment, the ClearEdge5 gives you 90 MWh of annual combined electricity and heat, compared to approximately 8MWh generated by a 5kW solar system. (So about $15-$20K) Operating costs for the CE5 are as low as 6.0¢ per kWh based on $1.20 per therm for natural gas, assuming full electrical and heat utilization.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Like everything else, the way CA goes the rest of the country follows.
It literally does not matter. Basically every real gaming system and production workstation is expressly exempt from this regulation. The only reason that Alienware can't be sold is on Dell, not on the state of California.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Don't buy that Alienware, no matter what state you live in.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 6 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
are there even monitors that do more than 300hz, and is there a point? 300 fps?? everyone knows the eye can't see more than 30 fps and 1080p
There are monitors that go that high, and are stupid for anyone but the .00001% of people that are in ultra super pro gaming, and maybe not even then. Lol

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah there's a few 360hz monitors, Asus, ACER, MSI and Dell. They're all 1080p and they're basically just used as CS:GO/Valorant monitors and nothing else.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
After talking to my boss who found a LG CX on sale for 1100 at MicroCenter, I stumbled upon an update to my own post: Sony makes a 43" TV that works fairly well as a 2021 4K Monitor. 2 2.1 HDMIs, 4 HDMIs overall, 120Hz refresh, VA panel, bright enough to do passable HDR and supposedly AMD Freesync and VRR coming in an firmware update per Sony, and currently $750 at the store of your choice Amazon/Best Buy/Etc. It doesn't do local/direct dimming and I don't know if its worth the compromise over a OLED or Mini LED but at just under half the price, if you want something smaller than 49/50 inches, this may be your best bet.

Sir do not discuss OLED then VA - what shame you have brought to this community.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Sir do not discuss OLED then VA - what shame you have brought to this community.
I said there were no 43" 4K monitors with modern tech. Then I found one, for half-ish . I in no way compared VA to OLED, in fact I said this:
I don't know if its worth the compromise over a OLED or Mini LED but at just under half the price, if you want something smaller than 49/50 inches, this may be your best bet.
Does like read like a comparison? Is it the order, that bothers you, then? Like many things in life, sir, it's a trade off.

let me know when 6800XTs are getting close to a grand and if I can pay in part with a PS5. ;)

spronk

FPS noob

nox14zl.jpg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users