NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I actually had a 6900XT in my cart from AMD direct this morning, $999 and didn't pull the trigger because I wanted a 6800 XT.

But it took over an hour for them to sell out, so try the AMD direct event next Thursday morning.
After looking at products and what's coming, I have rethought this. With an expected 4m Intel cards about to start dropping, the crypto boom window starting to close, and being less than 6 months out (Q3 from Next Gen 100%+ performance cards starting to ship, along with nothing really testing my 2080ti even at 4k, I will probably wait until June. Knowing AMD next gen mid-range card will match/exceed the 6900XT, best to wait at least until then.

Hard to think about that I wanted a 6800XT in Nov 2020; not going to pay 1100 bucks for one now.

For some perspective, sorry for retelling this story: Last time we danced this dance, I ended up with the 2080ti in Sept 2019 for $999 (launched in Sept 2018, had been up to 1500 or more during that crypto boom) to upgrade my 1080ti after getting the last easy video card purchase in history: I bought a 1080ti FE for 700 in March 2017 with no rush or line, I just logged in after launch, I don't even think it was launch day and bought it; co-workers, who were also PC people thought I was crazy for spending so much.

Who knew what the next 5 years would bring?

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Intel GPUs are only expected to be on par with a 3070 if that. 6900XT @1000 would be the best gpu purchase without equal at this point. The Red Devil Ultimate is the best variation of the air cooled ones but the ref card is no slouch and more raw rasterization power than a 3090.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
After looking at products and what's coming, I have rethought this. With an expected 4m Intel cards about to start dropping, the crypto boom window starting to close, and being less than 6 months out (Q3 from Next Gen 100%+ performance cards starting to ship, along with nothing really testing my 2080ti even at 4k, I will probably wait until June. Knowing AMD next gen mid-range card will match/exceed the 6900XT, best to wait at least until then.

Hard to think about that I wanted a 6800XT in Nov 2020; not going to pay 1100 bucks for one now.

For some perspective, sorry for retelling this story: Last time we danced this dance, I ended up with the 2080ti in Sept 2019 for $999 (launched in Sept 2018, had been up to 1500 or more during that crypto boom) to upgrade my 1080ti after getting the last easy video card purchase in history: I bought a 1080ti FE for 700 in March 2017 with no rush or line, I just logged in after launch, I don't even think it was launch day and bought it; co-workers, who were also PC people thought I was crazy for spending so much.

Who knew what the next 5 years would bring?
I think you're making a lot of assumptions, but within 2-3 weeks I bet it's relatively easy to get a 6800 XT from the Thursday morning AMD Direct event for $649 if that changes your math.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Microcenter ad for today has a 3070ti for $699, 3060ti for $499, pretty good price but who knows how fast they are going to drop now

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Intel GPUs are only expected to be on par with a 3070 if that. 6900XT @1000 would be the best gpu purchase without equal at this point. The Red Devil Ultimate is the best variation of the air cooled ones but the ref card is no slouch and more raw rasterization power than a 3090.
If you need a card now/feel you want card now, I completely agree.

I think Mist is right I am making a lot of assumptions. Next Gen cards from both companies with 100% performance improvement is coming in Q3 of this year, though. She is right is what is that 999 going to buy in the next 6-9 months is the question.

Will Scalpers and miners ruin the next gen availability as well? That's the question.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Humans being shitbags is one of the most reliable things. If not scalpers and miners, someone somewhere will find a way to make you pay Jayrebb prices for your next batch of parts.

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Humans being shitbags is one of the most reliable things. If not scalpers and miners, someone somewhere will find a way to make you pay Jayrebb prices for your next batch of parts.

Can you really overpay to future proof bro!?

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Tarriffs come off and the price drops. People that have been waiting for a price drop will hoover them up causing another supply shortage. Lot of bottled up demand for those that didn't have to be on the cutting edge.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tarriffs come off and the price drops. People that have been waiting for a price drop will hoover them up causing another supply shortage. Lot of bottled up demand for those that didn't have to be on the cutting edge.
Is that what we've done now? Call cutting edge 2 years out from release? I mean fucking hell we're about to be into the next generation. This whole situation is stupid!

Borzak

Is that what we've done now? Call cutting edge 2 years out from release? I mean fucking hell we're about to be into the next generation. This whole situation is stupid!

Lot of people not "gamers" and have been saying they'll wait till shit comes down. It's about to come down. Stretching their 980 and 970s and shit long as they could. Numer of cards just now starting to be in stock regularly and now cutting tarriffs. Just repeating what others have said. They're not poeople on gaming forums a lot and such.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Honestly if youre not a gamer, what would compel you to drop upwards of a $K for a fucking video card? To run benchmarks on your PC and jack off to the results?

For me at least which I run a 1080 at 166mhz, the 3070 satisfies my need right now. Pretty much can max any game out right now and based on the current gen consoles, which are not going anywhere for a while its all I need for the foreseeable future. I think ill skip the next gen and go right for the one after that. shit my kid has a 3060ti and runs a 1440p and gets 120+ frames in what he plays.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Honestly if youre not a gamer, what would compel you to drop upwards of a $K for a fucking video card? To run benchmarks on your PC and jack off to the results? For me at least whch I run a 1080 at 166mhz, the 3070 satisfies my need right now. Pretty much can max any game out right now and based on the current gen consoles, which are not going anywhwere for a while its all I need. I think ill skip the next gen and go right for the one after that.

Ummm.. maybe you havent been paying attention to something called cryptocurrency?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Sure, light hash rate. Nvidia surely came up with a "something" that can detect mining and couldn't possibly be bypassed

Borzak

Figured the very large crytpominers know how to throw money around to support their cause like anyone else. People at Nvidia like money too.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Does LHR only run at 50% speed with 100% power? Or 50% speed with 50% power?

spronk

FPS noob
i don't know too much about it but my understanding is that people who are serious about crypto mining buy ASIC (custom mining chip rigs) machines, massive compute machines that are better $/hash than GPUs. Stuff like the Antminer 9E will do an order of magnitude or two better from a $/hash perspective than any GPU. With all the shit going on in China and Russia that market is much smaller now anyways, which is why its so much easier to get GPUs.

if you have a microcenter around you most should have many GPUs in stock. Even at best buy, just run the mobile app, search for RTX, and click In Store at the top to see in store inventory at different stores - it'll say "sold out" on the app, but the item is in store available for purchase if In Store is checked and it shows up. Around me local stores have many 3080tis available at MSRP and have for days. The resell has shifted to just like 3 cards, the 3080 FE (cuz $700 msrp), 3060, and 3070/ti

but yeah i'd expect 40xx's to be a shitshow but I think i will finally build out a new PC when 4080 comes out, assuming its not a ludicrous price