NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
people who are serious about crypto mining buy ASIC (custom mining chip rigs) machines, massive compute machines that are better $/hash than GPUs.
That is for Bitcoin. GPU mining is mostly for Ethereum, for which no one wanted to develop dedicated ASICs, as the developers have stated they will migrate from "proof of work" (=mining) to proof of stake, which is classical capitalism. As in: the rich get richer.

• 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
When I see some of the post here reminds me to wonder how Best Buy is still in business.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
When I see some of the post here reminds me to wonder how Best Buy is still in business.
Because there isn't an "electronic" exclusive Big Box store anywhere else. All of their competition basically shut down. Circuit City years and years ago, Fry's Electronics, Ultimate City. Yes, there is still Walmart, and some others but they are not exclusively electronics and so if looking for something in that category Best Buy is the best bet to find options.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Because there isn't an "electronic" exclusive Big Box store anywhere else. All of their competition basically shut down. Circuit City years and years ago, Fry's Electronics, Ultimate City. Yes, there is still Walmart, and some others but they are not exclusively electronics and so if looking for something in that category Best Buy is the best bet to find options.

I was hoping that Micro Center would start expanding more and more, after the whole Fry's debacle I'm amazed they didn't pickup some of the stores that got emptied out cause of it.. The one outside Portland was always slammed every hour they were open.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Holding a bunch of physical inventory of expensive electronics on-site is not a great business model.

Crone

I was hoping that Micro Center would start expanding more and more, after the whole Fry's debacle I'm amazed they didn't pickup some of the stores that got emptied out cause of it.. The one outside Portland was always slammed every hour they were open.
Yep, it seemed like a nice way to expand for them but it never happened. Sucks, because I used to love going to Fry's, knowing that I wanted to buy something but not sure what. I love building/selling custom computers, and it was pretty profitable over the last couple of years as I wasn't too bad at getting video cards, but not really anymore.

Kajiimagi

<Trapped in Randomonia>
Yep, it seemed like a nice way to expand for them but it never happened. Sucks, because I used to love going to Fry's, knowing that I wanted to buy something but not sure what. I love building/selling custom computers, and it was pretty profitable over the last couple of years as I wasn't too bad at getting video cards, but not really anymore.
Most days I would just wonder around the one in Vegas at lunch. Even if I only bought a drink/bag of nuts. I have to say though it was obvious it went downhill. After last Xmas it was a dead zone and most of the store was closed off. Sucks.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I quit going years before they fully went under when half or more of the inventory was an open box. I lived a good 1.5 hours away so it became extremely not worth the drive.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Holding a bunch of physical inventory of expensive electronics on-site is not a great business model.

That Portland store was crazy, they would easily blow thru inventory everyday they weren't holding as much as you think other then shit that wasn't selling, every time I went there(Even when the store was closing out.) the lines were thru the whole store.

Its a wonder how any brick and mortar places like that still exist today in any shape.

I think it has more when parts are DOA it is much easier too get them swapped.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
That same Portland store is the exact same one I am talking about with half the inventory was open boxed. It was good for awhile but went straight to shit once half the inventory was open box crap. Best place to go for computer stuff was by far ENU back then

Crone

There's no where left in the Pacific Northwest to go other than Best Buy. It sucks.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Last Best Buy I was in it looked like one of those places that buys the inventory of places that went bankrupt. Then a tornado hit it. Figured for a long time they were basically a showcase of stuff you left and bought off Amazon or somewhere else.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Checked some stores today for 3080s in Sweden. Lots in stocks all over the place for the cheap sum of $1270-1350.

So double what I paid at release, but hey at least they are available.

Crone

none of them are cheap but i noticed a SHIT load of GPUs available at best buy in the 3060-3080 series, like this white fuck boi, $1300 doesn't seem too bad for a 3080ti i assume this is tariffs gone price
Why the hell is Best Buy discounting a card $300? That's a hella good price for a 3080ti, lol. I'm surprised it's still in stock?