NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
What's the general concensus on buying a 3000 series card soon at a discount vs waiting for the 4000 series? Does the deep discount on the 3000 series make it worth getting a less powerful card? I read an article that says late August will be the best time to buy a 3000 series card.

I'm interested in bang for my buck, not the most powerful card. I don't play any games that require a supermachine.
I picked up a used 10GB 3080 for $550 a few weeks ago. Deals are out there to be had. They might go lower in a few months, but I'm not convinced that is 100% so I jumped on it.

I was able to unload my 20 month old 3060TI for $400 as well, so I consider the whole thing a giant win.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
My plan was to buy a good 20x card shortly after the 30x cards appeared. But when I went to buy some, they were all sold out. I ended up getting a 3070 for much more than I originally planned to spend. So if I were going to repeat it now then I would buy a card now and not wait. But whatever, I probably won't be buying any new shit for a few years. Upgraded everything last year. Well, maybe a new monitor.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Also some rumors that only the 4090 will be released this year. The rest in 2023. Take it for what it is.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
$869 3080 TI/$700+ 6900XT; I got my 2080TI at the end of the last crypto boom and and it served me through this one, and got a 3080 12GB as insurance for the upcoming launches. Prices may go down a little more but unless you are talking about EBay, I don't know how much.

Cards don't become worthless, though; they retain value. Ebay is super stubborn about prices, seemingly. Now is a good time to get something. If China invades Taiwan or some other black swan event, who knows when video cards will be available again?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
My 2080 Ti has held up since I picked it up in Sept 2019 (almost a year after release to the day, oddly enough) - As much as I want to build a new rig, I still haven't had any problems running... anything, at 4k resolution. Granted I don't play FPS games typically so the speed of rendering typically isn't a problem (jrpgs, older shit, soulsy stuff, etc)

I'm usually on a 2 year upgrade cycle but... I actually just haven't needed to. Could be my old man eyes not noticing some framerate related stuff, but everything looks and feels good.

That said, if the 4070 is as good as promised, that may be a perfect rebuild spot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiki

Log Wizard
Sure but this last release was a bit of a special case thanks to crypto, everything even two gens old was gone, and yes you do need to be paying attention for the firesale the week before but you are looking a month or two at the least?

The other thing is that AMD and Nvidia are both speculated to drop MSRP at the beginning of Sept and even if one drops the other one has to drop to compete.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
XC3 hit $720 today, we'll all hoping for a sub-700 FTW3 by Labor Day
That's a 12GB one though. That's a nice deal.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
nice, its tempting to jump on a 3090ti esp at $1150 but im happy to wait and see how 4090 shakes out, especially since i'd have to actually build out a new pc. but if you have a good PC i imagine buying a 3090ti at $1100 or less is not bad at all, should easily be able to sell for about the same once 4090 stock shakes out

anyways if you have a ROG 690 mb may wanna watch out for fire

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
The wife gave the green light for me to build a new PC here soon, so I'm gonna start shopping pretty seriously. General concensus right now seems to be that prices will bottom out in 2-3 months, but I would be potentially worried about inventory by then. My budget has me looking at probably a 3070 ti or a 3080 if I can find one for around $700.

Am I crazy or should I wait for the 4070? I know the msrp is *supposed* to be around $500 for those but realistically I don't expect them to be any cheaper than $800 if that, based on insane inflation and demand recently.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The wife gave the green light for me to build a new PC here soon, so I'm gonna start shopping pretty seriously. General concensus right now seems to be that prices will bottom out in 2-3 months, but I would be potentially worried about inventory by then. My budget has me looking at probably a 3070 ti or a 3080 if I can find one for around $700.

Am I crazy or should I wait for the 4070? I know the msrp is *supposed* to be around $500 for those but realistically I don't expect them to be any cheaper than $800 if that, based on insane inflation and demand recently.
Look on the Desktop Computers thread and check out Flobee's build and read through the comments and alterations that had.

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
based on insane inflation and demand recently.
The GPU crypto bros are hanging mostly on Ethereum, who wanted to switch from Proof of Work (PoW) to Proof of Stake (PoS) for a long time, making GPU mining pretty pointless. The estimated date for this switch is September 15th, so GPU demand from the crypto bros is probably going to plummet shortly before that, if it hasn't already. Bitcoin is mostly mined using specialized ASICs, so has nothing to do with GPU demand.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
Been thinking about upgrading the cpu/mobo/ram on my pc. Power supply too maybe. Can get a rock solid setup for 800something just poking around Newegg. Picked up a 3090 early last year for MSRP but never bothered to bring everything else up to snuff. It's nice to see the gpu prices crashing finally.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
The GPU crypto bros are hanging mostly on Ethereum, who wanted to switch from Proof of Work (PoW) to Proof of Stake (PoS) for a long time, making GPU mining pretty pointless. The estimated date for this switch is September 15th, so GPU demand from the crypto bros is probably going to plummet shortly before that, if it hasn't already. Bitcoin is mostly mined using specialized ASICs, so has nothing to do with GPU demand.

there has been talk of E going PoS for like 3 years now, and it's always gonna happen very soon. Like last year in July and year before that. It's almost like some interest groups are dragging it out like that. I for one hoping for all crypto bros to die. And I mean that literally, I'm thinking bowel cancer would be a nice painful way to go

spronk

FPS noob
eth ran its PoS test network twice now in the last two months, found some flaws in the first run which delayed final run (was supposed to be aug) to sept but the last test run was flawless apparently so sept 15th seems to be more or less on track. Mining already plummeted a lot in the last year as china banned mining (it has its own rolling country blackouts to deal with) its down something like 90% from the high anyways.

if you buy an evga 3070 when 4070 dates are fixed so you are within 60 days of 4070 release in theory you should be able to use evga's stepup program to get in egva's MSRP queue upgrade program. only problem is waiting, plus their program requires you to first send in your old card, pay the $$ difference, then they send you the new card. So thats 2-3 weeks without a GPU. Still better than dealing with ebay/facebook retards if you try to sell a card though, who will ask you shit like "DOES YOUR CARD WORK IN MY COMPAQ LAPTOP FROM 1995? WILL YOU TAKE $20 FOR IT?"

i'm pretty sure nvidia is just releasing the 4090 this year, and it'll soak up all the demand from the "Spare no expense" PC gamer crowd who don't really care how much stuff costs. Once that market is exhausted they'll slowly dribble out the 4070s. Its taken nearly 3 years for us to get to the point where exhaustion happened, but I imagine it'll be much faster next cycle.

spronk

FPS noob
seems like a really good deal if you have a microcenter near you

1661132480893.png

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
seems like a really good deal if you have a microcenter near you

View attachment 429186
Nahh they have in house brand, forget the name in which you get better components and cheaper.