NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

spronk

FPS noob
1300W is a bit low when you have cores pulling 400w, and two video cards pulling anywhere from 400-650w a piece. A fucking space heater uses 1500w - fucking insane.

wait where do you get 400W for CPU from? My understanding is that even something like the AMD Zen 4 7900x will max out around 220W with all 16 cores chugging along at 100%, which is rarely gonna be real world CPU. By comparison the current 5xxx line caps out around 120W and those of us with 4-5 year old CPUs have TDPs in the 100W range.

So maybe a bit double older CPUs.

By comparison a 3090ti FE has a TDP of 450W and the word is the 4090 will be the same, 450W. Of course there will be third party models that overclock so maybe 475-490W for maxxed out versions.

I have no idea why you'd try to SLI any of these cards though, isn't the gain really bad still for SLI, at least for gaming? I guess if you get two cheap ass 3080s you could SLI them but why not just buy a 4070 instead

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
wait where do you get 400W for CPU from?
In the space of a year people have gone from making fun of me for even caring about power usage and thermals to completely over-exaggerating the power demands of everything.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
In the space of a year people have gone from making fun of me for even caring about power usage and thermals to completely over-exaggerating the power demands of everything.
Pretty sure that was about you thinking there was no way to deal with it or compensate for the additional heat.
I have no idea why you'd try to SLI any of these cards though, isn't the gain really bad still for SLI, at least for gaming? I guess if you get two cheap ass 3080s you could SLI them but why not just buy a 4070 instead
SLI is basically dead.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure that was about you thinking there was no way to deal with it or compensate for the additional heat.
No, my point was that I'd rather not have to engineer a room-size solution to excess heat, so I'd design and optimize the PC around it.

Doesn't matter, just dropped 30k on new heating and cooling.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Does it matter if it's a non-MSI branded card?
Just beware of how it interacts with your card.

I have an EVGA card and Afterburner by itself would not engage all 3 fans. I had to use EVGA's tool first to ensure the fans were engaged, then switch to Afterburner to set the voltage and fan curve.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
If youre expecting 30 series prices to drop more or 40 series to come out this year you may want to watch the latest jayz video where he breaks down the earnings call from Nvidia - looks like no 40 series this year and no more price drops.

spronk

FPS noob
nvidia's earnings call was aug 24th 2022, all the "insiders" still say 4090 will release mid Oct.

guess we'll find out in a month though either way, ethereum began the move to proof of stake last night and is expected to finish around Sept 15th, all GPUs used for eth mining (a HUGE chunk) will be essentially worthless for crypto pretty much starting yesterday.

Kiki

Log Wizard
The other thing is that AMD and Nvidia are both speculated to drop MSRP at the beginning of Sept and even if one drops the other one has to drop to compete.

We got months until 4xxx comes out boys and we just got eth 2.0. It's gonna be a fun ride.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If 3080 Tis are $800 then base 3080s have to drop or they flat out won't sell any. Hell 3070 FTWs been in stock on evga for a week+ I think

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
looks like no 40 series this year and no more price drops.
Here's a thought to see how this would work out:
  • Nvidia doesn't want to release 4000 cards this year
  • there is no more demand from crypto miners to stabilize prices
  • AMD releases RDNA 3 anyways (as they have enough TSMC capacity booked)
  • Nvidia has nothing to compete with AMD for 3+ months, especially at the important end of the year holiday season
In this scenario, is it plausible that Nvidia would do no no more price adjustments? DLSS and Raytracing aren't going to really cut it if the competition is both faster, cheaper, and is even slowly catching up in the Upscaling and Raytracing areas.

spronk

FPS noob
the initial wave of 3080 FEs was insanely tiny and weeks between restocks, I remember and they were selling for 200-300% markup on ebay. It was only straight from nvidia or best buy, before even third parties got released, and demand far outstripped supply.

they will do the same thing with 4090s while keeping the entire 30xx line active, i imagine 4080s will roll out in jan/feb for the more normal gamers and then 4070s probably spring 2023 for normies. Then they will start with the 4090ti, 4080ti, etc bullshit so people get pissed again at nvidia forgetting they did the exact same thing with the 30xx line.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Here's a thought to see how this would work out:
  • Nvidia doesn't want to release 4000 cards this year
  • there is no more demand from crypto miners to stabilize prices
  • AMD releases RDNA 3 anyways (as they have enough TSMC capacity booked)
  • Nvidia has nothing to compete with AMD for 3+ months, especially at the important end of the year holiday season
In this scenario, is it plausible that Nvidia would do no no more price adjustments? DLSS and Raytracing aren't going to really cut it if the competition is both faster, cheaper, and is even slowly catching up in the Upscaling and Raytracing areas.
AMD cards seem further out than Nvidia cards - I expect them in January or February unless i missed something. Didnt Lisa say theyd be like 1st quarter 2023?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
AMD cards seem further out than Nvidia cards - I expect them in January or February unless i missed something. Didnt Lisa say theyd be like 1st quarter 2023?
Rumors say there are currently 3 SKU lines, with the interesting one (Navi 31) expected in Late October or Mid-November (7800 XT and up), and Navi 32 follow in early 2023.

Or, from the Q2 earnings call: "Lisa: We remain focused on executing our GPU roadmap, including launching our high-end RDNA3 GPUs later this year."

Performance-wise they are "no more than double the performance of Navi 21, unless overclocking past 350W". Nvidia will probably get the performance crown, but will need over 400W. AMD will probably counter this with a 13 chiplet Navi 3, as the currently mass-produced Navi 3 is expected to have 9 chiplets.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Bestbuy and Microcenter have dropped all base FE models and only have Ti versions going forward (some exceptions). Not sure what that means for the AIB companies.

Listings have reappeared again and reverted back to Sold Out instead of Not Carried

Last edited: