NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
It's actually just banking with extra steps. Literally.

People who hold more ethereum will get more transaction fees back because they hold larger deposits.
The term you are looking for is "oligarchy." And a self-reinforcing one, because the oligarchs get money from the plebs for their transactions.

And it's already bad:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The term you are looking for is "oligarchy." And a self-reinforcing one, because the oligarchs get money from the plebs for their transactions.

And it's already bad:
Sure, but running a bunch of expensive GPUs in a contest to see who could generate the most heat wasn't any better of a system either.

All of crypto is more centralized than existing monetary systems. No one has invented a financial system yet where the rich don't just get richer. Claiming crypto is decentralized was always a fucking joke.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Sure, but running a bunch of expensive GPUs in a contest to see who could generate the most heat wasn't any better of a system either.

All of crypto is more centralized than existing monetary systems. No one has invented a financial system yet where the rich don't just get richer. Claiming crypto is decentralized was always a fucking joke.
I never claimed otherwise. All those blockchain crypto currencies are bullshit by design.

The biggest flaw is the open ledger, which lets you track all transactions. Which lends credence to the conspiracy theory that it's all a psyop to get rid of real, tangible cash, in an effort to easily monitor cashflow in real time without subpoena.

Of course there are different approaches to digital money systems, like GNU Taler, but no one seems to even know about them.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
$999 GIGABYTE Gaming GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB - Marvel’s Spider-Man remastered w/ purchase
Crazy

question is how close to 4080 is the 3090ti because I’ll be surprised if 4080 isn’t 800 or more

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
question is how close to 4080 is the 3090ti because I’ll be surprised if 4080 isn’t 800 or more
Rumor is that Nvidia will start with the 4090 and price it above the 3090, which will continue with the 4080 because "performance", as the distribution channels are still full of Ampere cards. They really want that "highest performance" crown, even if the cards have to go 450W and above.

At the same time they need those high prices though, because the latest TSMC nodes are that expensive. A 300mm 5nm wafer is rumored to be around $20k, and Nvidia still has those big monolithic chips, so yields are expected to be low.

AMD on the other hand is expected to move to more efficient cards, with reference boards for the 7900 XT expected to be around 350W, as they don't expect to sell a lot of the super high end cards--especially after the crypto bust and the current recession. If AMD really wanted to fuck Nvidia, they could still release an 7950 XT later with more stacked compute dies.

spronk

FPS noob
Crazy

i doubt we'll get final numbers for another week or two but I've seen relative numbers like this, using Timespy Extreme 3dmark

4090 stock 22k
4080 stock 15k
3090 ti 12k (stock) to 15k OC
4070 stock 10k
3080 stock 9k

i'm sure those numbers will move around a lot though, and of course timespy extreme doesn't exactly translate into "this game gives me 2x more FPS at the same settings!"

unknown.png

reverse inflation, something people paid $2500 for on ebay last year

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
i doubt we'll get final numbers for another week or two but I've seen relative numbers like this, using Timespy Extreme 3dmark

4090 stock 22k
4080 stock 15k
3090 ti 12k (stock) to 15k OC
4070 stock 10k
3080 stock 9k

i'm sure those numbers will move around a lot though, and of course timespy extreme doesn't exactly translate into "this game gives me 2x more FPS at the same settings!"

unknown.png

reverse inflation, something people paid $2500 for on ebay last year
I paid 1600 for mine. I knew I wouldnt be able to flip upwards for the cheap when I bought it. "It is what it is."

• 1Like

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

How is it more centralized? I'm so confused what you mean by this. What does decentralized mean to you?

I never claimed otherwise. All those blockchain crypto currencies are bullshit by design.

The biggest flaw is the open ledger, which lets you track all transactions. Which lends credence to the conspiracy theory that it's all a psyop to get rid of real, tangible cash, in an effort to easily monitor cashflow in real time without subpoena.

Of course there are different approaches to digital money systems, like GNU Taler, but no one seems to even know about them.

Zcash and Monero are both anonymous, there is nothing stopping people from using them. All the pieces are there for a cash like society with digital transactions.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just going to leave this here….

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So this is odd. EVGA will no longer be in the video card business once the 3000 series has ran its course but isnt closing up shop either.

• 3WTF
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
That only makes up 20% of their profit per the video. They'd have a lot of redundant high level employees unless they massively expanded.
They making AMD cards soon?
Nope, no video cards at all at least as of now per the ceo.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
That only makes up 20% of their profit per the video. They'd have a lot of redundant high level employees unless they massively expanded.

Nope, no video cards at all at least as of now per the ceo.

That's shitty. I will always look for EVGA 1st.

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Does that impact the trade up program or whatever they call it with recent purchases?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That sucks, those have been good cards for like two decades.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, my last three cards were EVGAs, but if profit margins are that thin, I can hardly blame them for dropping out.

I do have to wonder if their PSU, etc. products are really going to keep them afloat - how many people decide between EVGA and, say, Seasonic because of past video card purchases?