NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
EVGA has the best customer support of any United States component manufacturer, and no one else comes close. They cross-shipped me a new 1080 when my old one broke on the day I reported the problem, and expedited it so I had a new GPU in my hands the next day (living close to their warehouse also helped). If they make a component, I wouldn't look anywhere else. Really that just means PSUs, but I would love if they got back into the mobo game seriously because every other major mobo manufacturer is awful.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
This doesn't make a ton of sense even after watching this entire video? Their CEO literally said 'it's a respect issue not a financial issue' lol?

Did their execs get in a fight and he's taking his ball and going home?

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Would NVIDIA really be playing that level of hardball if _their_ profit margins were great?

Honestly, I question how successful anyone can be that doesn't own their own fabs, AMD included, in a world where cell phone vendors take all the capacity they can get.

Fucker

Log Wizard
This doesn't make a ton of sense even after watching this entire video? Their CEO literally said 'it's a respect issue not a financial issue' lol?

Did their execs get in a fight and he's taking his ball and going home?
It is a financial issue. They are losing money on every 3070+ card they make.

I wouldn't doubt it if Nvidia pulls a 3DFX and stops supplying AIB's in their entirety.

spronk

FPS noob
i'm scared bros i've always owned EVGAs

i can't trust zotac, what kind of fucking name is zotac

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just a theory: Nvidia wants to cut out AIB's entirely and be more like Apple who sell everything they "make" under their own brand. Maybe it's about Jensen's ego: Jensen doesn't get any respect in the tech world, really, because a lot of loyalty to Nvidia is really loyalty towards some particular AIB. Maybe Nvidia bean counters think they can build enough FE's for everyone and AIBs simply aren't needed anymore.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It is a financial issue. They are losing money on every 3070+ card they make.

I wouldn't doubt it if Nvidia pulls a 3DFX and stops supplying AIB's in their entirety.

That is literally not what they said. This entire CEO interview is him repeating over and over it's a respect issue with NVIDIA and they just refuse to work with them anymore.

• 1Like
  • 1Imbecile
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
That is literally not what they said. This entire CEO interview is him repeating over and over it's a respect issue with NVIDIA and they just refuse to work with them anymore.
That is exactly what they said. Watch the video.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
That is exactly what they said. Watch the video.

Their CEO is literally quoted in the video/interview

"this is not a financial decision, it's a principal decision"

They'd be going under or already out of business of GPUs were a net loss for them given how much of their business they account for.

I'm sure they are losing their shirts on 3xxx stuff right because literally everyone is after turning the factories up to 11 for the last year and then crypto imploding.

• 1Like
  • 1Imbecile

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
EVGA has the best customer support of any United States component manufacturer, and no one else comes close.
Corsair's support is very good, at least it always has been for me.

Logitech's support is pretty good though has gotten worse since COVID because they've been massively overwhelmed due to supporting all the webcams and shit they've sold.

I bet Corsair would love to jump in the ring as an Nvidia partner.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Very well could be a situation where it was borderline this year for 3000 and their future analysis for 4000 was a clusterfuck. So they noped out before it began.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I bet the margins on being a board partner just fucking suck so long as the threat of tariffs exists and nvidia and AMD continue trying to capture more money.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It'd be hilarious if this just ends up being a scam to sell out of EVGA 3080 tis and 3090 tis, as EVGA loyalists try to scramble to get the last nvidia cards with decent warranty support.

• 2Worf

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
How is it more centralized? I'm so confused what you mean by this. What does decentralized mean to you?
Our current money system is based around both hard cash and accounts in banks and credit card companies. Since there is more than one of everything in this system, "following the money" always involves multiple actors. Even government level actors with legitimate interests have to go to each individual stakeholder to get a full picture. This is exacerbated when it involved international transactions, which makes international settlement systems like SWIFT a juicy target for intelligence services.

Blockchain, or any other system that uses a "distributed ledger", is a centralized system by design: All transactions are processed over that ledger/blockchain, so they are known for everyone. Every transaction in history is stored there.

Of course you could claim that the individual wallet on a blockchain is anonymous, but once it leaks it's done: Every past transaction is then public knowledge. These systems have no "forward anonymity" or "forward secrecy" built into them. For example, let's say the NSA has a backdoor to Amazon or Netflix: they suddenly know who a lot of wallets belong to.

In severe cases there is enough circumstantial evidence to trace accounts. An example for this can be seen here.

Zcash and Monero are both anonymous
The solution to these problems are flange-mounted onto the existing blockchain, and personally I wouldn't trust them too much. Monero with it's "ring signatures" has basically the same set of problems the Tor network has: provide secrecy and anonymity over a public network. Any sufficiently equipped attacker can and will analyze the traffic, and government level agencies will not publicize any weakness they have found.

there is nothing stopping people from using them. All the pieces are there for a cash like society with digital transactions.
I think you miss the basic tenet of the crypto currency boom: speculation, hype and a distrust of the existing fiat money system--in basically that order.

You can already build a cash like society with GNU Taler, but there is no hype around it precisely because it doesn't lend itself to speculation: There is no advantage to have your savings lying around in the form of Taler tokens instead of your bank account, as there is no exchange rate. Once you realize this has been one of the main drivers of the crypto currency boom, the rose-tinted glasses should fall off by themselves.

Let's circle back to a real life example: How does your child get money from the Tooth Fairy? "Just leave your smartphone under your pillow next to your tooth, and the Tooth Fairy will make a transaction to your crypto wallet. No, it's a coincidence that the wallet ID the Tooth Fairy uses is the same that sends you your pocket money!"

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Our current money system is based around both hard cash and accounts in banks and credit card companies. Since there is more than one of everything in this system, "following the money" always involves multiple actors. Even government level actors with legitimate interests have to go to each individual stakeholder to get a full picture. This is exacerbated when it involved international transactions, which makes international settlement systems like SWIFT a juicy target for intelligence services.

Blockchain, or any other system that uses a "distributed ledger", is a centralized system by design: All transactions are processed over that ledger/blockchain, so they are known for everyone. Every transaction in history is stored there.

Of course you could claim that the individual wallet on a blockchain is anonymous, but once it leaks it's done: Every past transaction is then public knowledge. These systems have no "forward anonymity" or "forward secrecy" built into them. For example, let's say the NSA has a backdoor to Amazon or Netflix: they suddenly know who a lot of wallets belong to.

In severe cases there is enough circumstantial evidence to trace accounts. An example for this can be seen here.

The solution to these problems are flange-mounted onto the existing blockchain, and personally I wouldn't trust them too much. Monero with it's "ring signatures" has basically the same set of problems the Tor network has: provide secrecy and anonymity over a public network. Any sufficiently equipped attacker can and will analyze the traffic, and government level agencies will not publicize any weakness they have found.

I think you miss the basic tenet of the crypto currency boom: speculation, hype and a distrust of the existing fiat money system--in basically that order.

You can already build a cash like society with GNU Taler, but there is no hype around it precisely because it doesn't lend itself to speculation: There is no advantage to have your savings lying around in the form of Taler tokens instead of your bank account, as there is no exchange rate. Once you realize this has been one of the main drivers of the crypto currency boom, the rose-tinted glasses should fall off by themselves.

Let's circle back to a real life example: How does your child get money from the Tooth Fairy? "Just leave your smartphone under your pillow next to your tooth, and the Tooth Fairy will make a transaction to your crypto wallet. No, it's a coincidence that the wallet ID the Tooth Fairy uses is the same that sends you your pocket money!"

I fully understand the subject, I started the virtual currency thread here and I was one of the first thousand or so people to use Bitcoin. I appreciate your view point but it's a warped perspective of what's possible.

Right now we have the tech to make anonymous ids validated by snarks, where you could ask it questions and return a true/false without disclosing anything specific. Are you over 18? Are you in country a? Etc no reason whatsoever to disclose your name or anything specific. You can then use a privacy currency to pay for services granting permission to you anonymous id on a ledger. They know nothing basically nothing about you, have no idea who's paying them specifically and it's about as close as you can get to paying for something at a store with cash digitally. The token or its value doesn't matter, it's that the technology to undo big techs spying already exists.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
They know nothing basically nothing about you, have no idea who's paying them specifically and it's about as close as you can get to paying for something at a store with cash digitally. The token or its value doesn't matter, it's that the technology to undo big techs spying already exists.
What you describe is basically GNU Taler with extra steps.

An example on how this works: You want to buy something for an amount of X. You go to your bank and pick up a token for X. The bank transfers the amount to an escrow account, and you give the token to the merchant, which he immediately gives to his bank. That bank can check the validity of the token when it is redeemed, but can't see to whom it was issued. The merchant also has to give it as soon as possible to his bank, or he won't be able to check if the token is valid. The first person to cash it in gets the money from the escrow account.

This is as close to cash as possible, but it doesn't have hype: There is no speculation. Also, it has a few "features" some merchants will find hard to swallow: The merchant can't hide transactions from the government (tax), as the wallet has to be linked to an account. He also can't pay for other things with the tokens he gets from his customers, as he can only check if the buyer's token is valid when redeeming.

In hindsight, "blockchain" has become such a hype buzzword that it seems to have "blocked" the rational thought processes of a lot of people. Now everything has to become "blockchain" or "distributed ledger", even when it doesn't make sense. So now you have bullshit like "private blockchains." Fun fact: You can build an immutable ledger without the blockchain. The blockchain is primarily used as a consensus finding mechanism between actors that don't trust each other.

• 1Like
  • 1Moron

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Tho I own an evga 3090Ti I generally don’t give a damn who makes my card as I’ve never had to rma a gpu.