NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Oh Frys Electronics. That placed used to be something else. I stopped in earlier in the year just as the corona nonsense was starting to get a new mouse and man was it horrible. Half the shelves empty and half of what was there was so much low value wish.com type junk. First computer I bought was from there(low end pentium 4) and back then that was the place to buy electronics.
I think I built 2 computers from Fry's. I used to check their ads every single week. What a bummer to hear.

nu_11

It is funny listening to how much hate the Moore’s Law is Dead guy has for Digital Foundry. DF admitted up front that they were sponsored by / paid by / partnered with Nvidia to do the 3080 review so it isn’t like they were hiding anything.

But I do agree with GN and the like, arbitrary 1.7X and 2X or 70% blah blah scales are dumb. Just give me numbers so we can compare.
Moore’s Law is Dead is a bottom feeder who makes a living from LARPing graphics cards. Who gives a shit what he thinks?

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
  • 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
While true, I have a reasonable concern the other way.

AMD is now utilizing TSMC nodes almost exclusively and they are light years ahead of Samsung (and others). I suspect they will be producing 5nm at the time Samsung gets its yields on 7nm to an appropriate level.

This probably won't happen, and I certainly hope it won't - but I can easily envision a scenario where in the next 4 years AMD is the force in both CPU/GPU markets and unlike Intel/Nvidia, they can provide both at cheaper costs and with far greater efficiency. Nvidia is on 8nm Samsung for a reason.

We really need Intel to get their fucking shit together. Rocket Lake may or may not even be PCIE 4 compatible.

Intel is in pretty rough shape. They've lost a lot of engineers, and they went from #1 in process to just ahead of Global Foundries....second from dead last. Keller bailed on them after a short stint, and that alone is bad news. He says one of his greatest strengths is team building. If he bailed so early, I take it as there being no team at Intel to build. Scary stuff.

Rocket Lake is rumored to be on a 14nm process. WTF are they doing over there? It looks like they are running from one 4-alarm fire to another one.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

nu_11

Intel is in pretty rough shape. They've lost a lot of engineers, and they went from #1 in process to just ahead of Global Foundries....second from dead last. Keller bailed on them after a short stint, and that alone is bad news. He says one of his greatest strengths is team building. If he bailed so early, I take it as there being no team at Intel to build. Scary stuff.

Rocket Lake is rumored to be on a 14nm process. WTF are they doing over there? It looks like they are running from on 4-alarm fire to another one.
Fortunately the $300 i7-10700 is comparable to the $275 3700x in price/performance right now when both are running 3200 MHz RAM. (Intel scales well past 3600 and Ryzen scales poorly past 3600).

I expect the Intel 11th gen to be worse than the Ryzen 4000, but Intel might be willing to adjust their prices appropriately.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
but Intel might be willing to adjust their prices appropriately.
And so can AMD. It cost AMD far less to produce their chips than it does Intel. Intel is feeling the heat now but they will be in a world of hurt for a at least a year once Ryzen 4000 is launched.

Big wildcard is how the 3080 and 3090 perform on pcie4 v pcie3. That alone could cause and even bigger move to AMD. Shame Ryzen 4000 wont be here for another month or two to magnify that potential difference even more.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Fortunately the $300 i7-10700 is comparable to the $275 3700x in price/performance right now when both are running 3200 MHz RAM. (Intel scales well past 3600 and Ryzen scales poorly past 3600).

I expect the Intel 11th gen to be worse than the Ryzen 4000, but Intel might be willing to adjust their prices appropriately.

The primary concern is not right now, but in the not too distant future. They don't have the engineering brainpower they used to have, either on the CPU side or the process side. They have piles of money and market share, but neither will last long if they don't have good parts for the big customers to use.

nu_11

As far as I can tell the problem with Intel is not their CPU but it's their Fab. The14nm 10th gen are holding up very well against the 7nm Ryzen. There's a reason why AMD sold their Fabs.

Fucker

Log Wizard
As far as I can tell the problem with Intel is not their CPU but it's their Fab. The14nm 10th gen are holding up very well against the 7nm Ryzen. There's a reason why AMD sold their Fabs.

Not in power, they aren't. Power use doesn't matter for home use, but it sure matters in the data center. Intel is failing badly in this regard.

The reason why AMD sold their fabs is because Ruiz left AMD and went to Global Foundries. He saddled AMD with the disastrous WSA which they are stuck with until 2024. It was designed to bring cash to the executive suite, not to save the business.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
My understanding is that HP is going to release some xx5 models in the next batch; AMD is back in the game kids.

Edit - for those that don't know, when you get a DL380 or whatever flavor (dell follows this too), if there's a 5 vs. a 0 as the last digit, it's AMD. They completely skipped the last generation on both platforms because AMD was a shitshow for a decade. Now that it's back in style, they are releasing SKUs for it again. Finally some competition for Intel in the server world again.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Not in power, they aren't. Power use doesn't matter for home use, but it sure matters in the data center. Intel is failing badly in this regard.

The reason why AMD sold their fabs is because Ruiz left AMD and went to Global Foundries. He saddled AMD with the disastrous WSA which they are stuck with until 2024. It was designed to bring cash to the executive suite, not to save the business.
Threadripper has completely destroyed Intel in that space

nu_11

I've never heard this.

As far as I can tell AMD went on a selling spree to better manage their debt since that was one of the worse times it was for AMD. Their market cap in late 2008 was below $2 billion. They not only sold their fabs but previously other sectors like digital TV (Xilleon) and flash memory (Spansion). They trimmed the fat to focus on their CPU division.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

IIRC this will change with AMD 4000 since the IF can clock much higher and overclock quite well with ram - was some APUs OCd doing 5gz w/ 4400?

AMD tossing out easter eggs - they just need to give us more info and stop pussyfooting.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I've never heard this.

As far as I can tell AMD went on a selling spree to better manage their debt since that was one of the worse times it was for AMD. Their market cap in late 2008 was below $2 billion. They not only sold their fabs but previously other sectors like digital TV (Xilleon) and flash memory (Spansion). They trimmed the fat to focus on their CPU division.

Little side note, but they also sold their (very nice) campus in Austin to an investment firm which turned around and rented it out to AMD.

AFAIK, AMD did not "sell their fabs" to Global Foundaries. AMD moved them into a new company along with ATIC which ultimately became GlobalFoundaries, where AMD owned a small part of the business (like a third or something) in return for AMD giving a lot of their debt to GF, and ATIC increasing their stake in AMD. I don't know the details, I'm going a bit off memory.

That's not really a "sale" per se.

I think AMD Is still stuck with GF for a couple years, but only on more shitty chips.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Threadripper has completely destroyed Intel in that space
TR is a workstation/prosumer chip. Datacenters and serious servers use their Eypc line of processors.
I think AMD Is still stuck with GF for a couple years, but only on more shitty chips.
Current agreement runs until the end of the year iirc. 5-6 years ago AMD entered into a very lopsided agreement with Global Foundries(the fabs they sold off 10 years ago to raise money) due to AMDs bad financial position. It was a horrible agreement for AMD but with GF failing to produce a 7nm process(which is why AMD now uses TSMC to fab most of its chips) it allowed AMD to renegotiate it's contract to be much more in it's favor.

Regardless of the current agreement coming to an end AMD will likely still use them for the next few years. They still use GF's 12nm chips in their current Zen2 architecture, the io die being a 12nm chip from GF. Also they still make 12nm Zen processors, mainly the 1600AF

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Source on this?
Just use any die calculator.

14nm node v 7nm.
Chiplet design v monolithic design.

Chiplet design is huge as every processor from the 4c/8t Ryzens to 64c/128t Epycs are all just about the same processor, its just scaled up.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Just use any die calculator.

14nm node v 7nm.
Chiplet design v monolithic design.

Chiplet design is huge as every processor from the 4c/8t Ryzens to 64c/128t Epycs are all just about the same processor, its just scaled up.
This leaves out a lot of variables. AMD is paying a 3rd party to fabricate its chips, which comes at a price. Intel has been doing the 14nm for like the last 7 years, so their yields are likely extremely good at this point. The cost of tooling a plant to fabricate on a smaller node is going to be more costly than a larger node, etc.

Beyond that, Intel clobbers AMD in pretty much every financial metric, so if there's going to be a price war, Intel is in a far better position.