NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
this might help

shit like this is why that extra RAM in a GPU is super desirable for me. I don't know or even trust the requirements they state here and you just never know when these texture packs will blow up the VRAM usage.
diaoi1qt6itkjzodoynd.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
shit like this is why that extra RAM in a GPU is super desirable for me. I don't know or even trust the requirements they state here and you just never know when these texture packs will blow up the VRAM usage.
diaoi1qt6itkjzodoynd.jpg

I am playing with that mod on with a gtx970 with 4gb Ram.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yea from what I've gathered there will be no preorders at all. Stores around here have a timer up for 3pm (gmt+1) on the 17th when you can buy them.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Will AIB cards be released at the same time as the FE cards? As in can o grab one the same day?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
diaoi1qt6itkjzodoynd.jpg

Needs an RTX mod

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Looking on reddit the prices for used 1080's are already dropping like a rock.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
AMD has no business in that price segment. Even if they were competitive on that level, people would still pick the market leader with the better driver history.

There's no way people are going to buy an 8GB $499 card from AMD if that's what gets you an RTX 3070. Maybe that's just a typo though? because "instead of $499 it's now $499" is an almost Orwellian message, and this year EGS gets to misquote Orwell.

AMD needs to do what they can do, and that is a budget card with reasonably high performance.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
AMD has no business in that price segment. Even if they were competitive on that level, people would still pick the market leader with the better driver history.

There's no way people are going to buy an 8GB $499 card from AMD if that's what gets you an RTX 3070. Maybe that's just a typo though? because "instead of $499 it's now $499" is an almost Orwellian message, and this year EGS gets to misquote Orwell.

AMD needs to do what they can do, and that is a budget card with reasonably high performance.
I would assume the 2nd one is meant to be 449, but yeah doesn't sound too appealing unless the performance are crazy compared to a 3070, which seems somewhat unlikely. Nvidia has a ton of features that I'm not sure AMD has(granted I know fuckshit about AMD cards) so at equal performance there'd be no reason to buy AMD other than to not buy Nvidia.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I would assume the 2nd one is meant to be 449, but yeah doesn't sound too appealing unless the performance are crazy compared to a 3070, which seems somewhat unlikely. Nvidia has a ton of features that I'm not sure AMD has(granted I know fuckshit about AMD cards) so at equal performance there'd be no reason to buy AMD other than to not buy Nvidia.

Even with crazy performance most people will nope out.

AMD really should to go back to basics a bit on the GPU front, make a very solid range of entry mid/mid range cards and just concentrate on getting the drivers right. Once they get that sorted out after a gen or two maybe they'll make inroads and gain some market share. The drivers and their reputation seem to be the biggest hurdles to overcome at the moment and it's the largest problem they face from the buying public.

A good example recently is the 5700XT, a small amount Path of Exile players bought this card, and they ended up in a position where they couldn't play for weeks. The drivers were fucked on release, PoE devs don't give a toss as nearly everyone's playing Nvidia. On a league based game like that, it's a washout if you can't play the first 2-4 weeks.

It's not even worth considering AMD if you want a game to be playable on release or if your competitive or streaming etc. That's the stuff they need to sort out before they start trying to make a rival to 3070s and 3080s and developing their bells and whistles software.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If nvidia beats them to the release as well they might as well give up now. If they're a month behind, everyone who wants to spend that kind of money for a video card this year will already have a new 3070 or better in their computer when AMD hits the shelves.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That’s why I was asking. If they don’t do anything before the 17th it’ll be strange.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
my big massive male brain strategy: wait until 1 week before Cyberpunk releases. Check out reviews for the best bang for the buck ratio and get that one.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
my big massive male brain strategy: wait until 1 week before Cyberpunk releases. Check out reviews for the best bang for the buck ratio and get that one.

I suspect if you don't get in on the first wave of cards you might be shit out of luck until the new year. Hope I'm wrong, but all signs pointing to stock being pretty limited and using the Samsung 8nm node isn't going to help anything as the yields are dog shit.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I suspect if you don't get in on the first wave of cards you might be shit out of luck until the new year. Hope I'm wrong, but all signs pointing to stock being pretty limited and using the Samsung 8nm node isn't going to help anything as the yields are dog shit.

fuck, that's not good.

spronk

FPS noob
counterpoint: there are like a dozen manufacturers also making 30x0 cards using nvidias designs, like EVGA ASUS MSI ZOTAC etc. but yeah at this point i don't think anyone really has a clue how much supply there will be and what demand is like.

you figure demand is gonna be super high, all the people with 2080ti's who will want to upgrade, and then a whole bunch of people with 9xx and 1xxx cards will also be ready to upgrade.