NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I've been playing with afterburner tonight (and the Zotac 3080) to see how far I could push this (supposedly) underpowered/volted card without changing any hardware/bios etc. Was able to crack the top 100 Hall of Fame a few times for Port Royal (which probably won't last the week) but still pretty fun/cool.

That said, in game performance is almost negligible so have decided I'll probably just run the card stock with a slight 75mhz core oc (taking it to 1785mhz). Anything over 110 and it starts to get a bit finnicky.

I can see how/why the Strix/FTW cards in particular will be the best for overclocking by far with the far bigger power usage.

spronk

FPS noob
FE 3080 was in stock at nvidia for about 4 mins today evening, got an order in just for kicks. they seem to be restocking randomly but in bigger and bigger waves so seems like production is ramping up

still in stock actually the second i write this but likely gone soon

also pretty solid rumors that 3080 will have a MASSIVE restock in October as the full sept production run will be released

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I was going to get the 3080 FE, but then I read that there is going to be a 3080 with 20 gigs of VRAM that's going to release right after AMD releases their cards some time in October. So, if I can get a 3080 with twice the RAM and only have to wait another month or so, it's kinda a no brainer.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This will never be not funny to me. Most people can't even reliably distinguish between 8 bit and 16 bit. Test it yourself:

1600934548568.png

And I'm not even using HDMI, analog line out!!!1! I agree with your point though, it's all hugely overhyped and "bigger numbers = better" style of thinking. Marketing plays no small part in selling this stuff to delusional consumers with too much money.

I'd go so far as to say that with today's tech, the only thing that will affect your audio quality is the speakers and (for bass response) the amplifier you are using for those speakers. For the average user that is just using some plastic computer speakers, all this 249-bit, elf-crafted digital quantum purity data teleportation tech is a complete waste and they would have been just as well off with a Soundblaster card from 1995.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was going to get the 3080 FE, but then I read that there is going to be a 3080 with 20 gigs of VRAM that's going to release right after AMD releases their cards some time in October. So, if I can get a 3080 with twice the RAM and only have to wait another month or so, it's kinda a no brainer.
I'm dubious about 20 GB VRAM cards right now. I don't see the need for that now or in the near future. What's the point of this exactly? by the time we actually need that kind of VRAM, the card itself will be way too slow itself.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I'm dubious about 20 GB VRAM cards right now. I don't see the need for that now or in the near future. What's the point of this exactly? by the time we actually need that kind of VRAM, the card itself will be way too slow itself.

For 4k you might be better off taking the 20gb with modern titles. Pretty surprised they didn't make a 16gb version, but then they wouldn't be able to sell 2 different versions. Looks like AMD's cards are going to have 16, 12, 8gb variants, so they might have kept these higher ram models back to look competitive after release.

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Pretty surprised they didn't make a 16gb version
They can't. It is depending on bus width: 256 bit bus -> 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB. 384 bit bus -> 12 GB, 24 GB, 48 GB. The 3080 has 320 bit bus, so 10 GB, 20 GB, 40 GB.

You can of course map it so that a large portion of the RAM has the wide bus and the remainder has a narrower, slower bus. NVidia tried that once with the GTX 970, which resulted in a real shitstorm because "it was not as advertised, and not all of the RAM had that fast speed."

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I would bet that card is 1000 easy

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I would bet that card is 1000 easy

Yeah me too. With the demand they are seeing right now, and people buying the 10gb version for $1300 they can probably set it as high as $1100-1200 and it’ll still sell like crazy. I bet they’ve upped their original price plan for it after seeing how this release is going.

I’m mostly excited to see the butthurt from people who bought the 10gb version if they’re really releasing a 20gb version a month later without telling anyone in advance.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm going to ask the obvious question, is there anything out there that is going to remotely test these new cards?

I appreciate most of us are a bit older and have a chunk of disposable income so is it just more of a case of getting the best rather than compromising?

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I got a Gigabyte 3090 order through and now I am all confused why I ordered it haha. Will see if I can sell the 3080 for a profit and pay towards the 3090.

spronk

FPS noob
10% improvement at 4K, totally not worth the price premium

3090s were rough, newegg sold out in under 15 seconds, nvidia was a bit choppy but lasted like a minute but most people lost it on the final page (gotta be fast like sonic), amazon hasn't put up theirs yet.

3080 seems the real sweet spot, but yeah waiting for the 20GB version, assuming its not ludicrously priced, will be the smart move I think.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
10% improvement at 4K, totally not worth the price premium

3090s were rough, newegg sold out in under 15 seconds, nvidia was a bit choppy but lasted like a minute but most people lost it on the final page (gotta be fast like sonic), amazon hasn't put up theirs yet.

3080 seems the real sweet spot, but yeah waiting for the 20GB version, assuming its not ludicrously priced, will be the smart move I think.
It uses 10% more watts and gets 10% more frames, weird how thermodynamics works.

Why is anyone surprised? If anything, I'd say that's quite the accomplishment to scale linearly like that.

• 1Worf

worldx

Trakanon Raider
Need to be an elite member to get the EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, site has been bugged for the past 40 mins. Will see if i can snag one. Managed to add the FTW3 to cart but can't checkout lol.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I know a bunch of people that were able to get 3090s from nvidia with the backdoor link. Way more people than got 3080's. I just don't see the demand for this card..