NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
might make 3080 FEs better play
Firmware will fix it I'm sure, then rev B boards

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My MSI Ventus has performed perfectly. Not a single crash or wierd behavior. Is it people OCing that get crashes or normal plebs like me also?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Maybe, but there might be other solutions

How would firmware solve capacitor issues? Seems like you’d have to have a hardware solution for that. Genuine question, I have no idea, I’ve just never seen firmware address an electrical hardware design issue like that.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I got Dell to give me a $90 credit on the $900 PNY 3080 that I ordered through there. Brings the price to $810 for an $750 MSRP card. Not great, not terrible, but at least it puts the margin somewhere that it would be worth taking the time to resell it assuming I can get ~$1300 for it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
How would firmware solve capacitor issues? Seems like you’d have to have a hardware solution for that. Genuine question, I have no idea, I’ve just never seen firmware address an electrical hardware design issue like that.
We've done plenty of weird shit to circumvent electrical problems. My guess is they will ultimately just respin the boards though

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
We've done plenty of weird shit to circumvent electrical problems. My guess is they will ultimately just respin the boards though

I did think of one we did after I posted. We pulsed an electrical signal differently with firmware instead of a solid signal to avoid melting a solenoid.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I did think of one we did after I posted. We pulsed an electrical signal differently with firmware instead of a solid signal to avoid melting a solenoid.
I actually write firmware - but usually it's just some electrical engineer saying "do this" and we do. I learned all that stuff in school, but I'm just a monkey.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This isn't really a new problem. My EVGA GTX 1080 had to go back to EVGA because they forgot to put thermal pads in the right spot and the heat spreader turned into a heat insulator, and I bought that thing almost 4 months after launch.

Every launch has its problems.

I'm actually impressed at how good the FE cards are.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Video on the topic

Good video, so glad that EVGA doesn't seem impacted. ASUS going above and beyond with six full expensive units makes them seem the most bulletproof, but 100% stay away from any manufacturer that has six of the cheaper units. Hopefully EVGA won't cheap out on the 3070.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Good video, so glad that EVGA doesn't seem impacted. ASUS going above and beyond with six full expensive units makes them seem the most bulletproof, but 100% stay away from any manufacturer that has six of the cheaper units. Hopefully EVGA won't cheap out on the 3070.
I just don't see the 3070 pulling enough power to be pushing up against the thermal and noise limits like that, unless it's an extreme OC 3070 at which point why would anyone buy that over a 3080? I'm sure some AIBs will try to sell a super overclocked 3070 but it'd be dumb to buy one.

I think the stock 3070s are going to be very boring and stable, which is a good thing.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think they're engineering these cards all wrong with the boost clocks, instead of designing them to maintain steady framerates.

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Intel and many PC Notebook OEMS do that. Intel relies so much on Turboboost which is a huge reason their CPUs get so hot and have huge drops. NVIDIA did the same thing with the 10 series cards are launch. Huge focus on winning reviews with synthetic benchmarks vs marathon gaming.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Intel and many PC Notebook OEMS do that. Intel relies so much on Turboboost which is a huge reason their CPUs get so hot and have huge drops. NVIDIA did the same thing with the 10 series cards are launch. Huge focus on winning reviews with synthetic benchmarks vs marathon gaming.
Actually if you leave the Intel CPUs at the specified boost behavior they do not get that hot. It is the all-core boost enhancement that many motherboard manufacturers put on by default in UEFI that causes most/all the strange power and heat behavior.