NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
3060-3080Ti cards been in stock all over newegg and amazon of late - botters have slowed down alot of late - they will still destroy everything when next gen comes out. Even 3090Fe's are down to like 1900 on the streets when they were 2700 like a month or so ago.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've noticed, makes me wonder what i could get a 3080 for if id walled another months. Got mine for the 1100 best buy sold it for plus shipping and insurance/g+s from the guy.

spronk

FPS noob

i have a lot of doubt about tons of 3080 cards dropping in march or ruski's smuggling kits out of russia and selling them on ebay

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

The article is about as long as the headline, lol.

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I can believe they will get a surge of 12GB inventory that will continue to be price gouged. Anything past that is fanfic

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I think the number of hobby PC gamers that will tolerate these insane "current" gen prices are not that significant. If a machine blows up - or its chugging - sure people will buy. Most PC gamers aren't hardware enthusiasts. They are actual game enthusiasts. There are a ton of people praying their 9xx and 10xx generation cards are going to survive until supply/prices/demand break.

Assuming war and supply chain collapse don't ruin the universe, there are a few important details about where we are in hardware generation cycles that I think are worth remembering.

The 30xx series coincided with the console generation turnover - which put massive demand for PC gamers who had high end PS4 era PC's to upgrade. These consoles become the new minimum system for game development. With the PS5 and Xbox X having MSRP of ~500 bucks - this will hold down video card sales for game playing. Why not just buy a PS5 and a home theatre - the value proposition of the hobby has to be in sync with very few exclusive titles these days. If availability of the consoles turns over in stores first, we will see.

Look at what happened to the 20xx cards with regards to demand, few gamers cared about running a PS4 era game at 120 fps on a PC. But PC gamers do care about having a gen current system - hence the 3000 series demand. The performance of the 40xx and 50xx generation cards will just be higher powered current "game gen" cards. A 3080 will probably play anything like a 980 or a 1080 did for the next 5-7 years. I can't see the price of 40xx and 50xx cards to be ascending when there will be few games to drive the need.

Crypto-buyers can't be forgotten in the current ecosystem - if that demand never diminishes, maybe we are eternally fucked. But between governments, competition in the coin mining space, and the need for investment return - this could go many ways.

Sony and MS could also make multiple revisions of this gen - in the vein of the pro - and even if it was 700 or 800 against a 2k video card alone. The ecosystems are as entangled as ever and the systems support KB/M etc these days. The ps5 and Xbox will never mine crypto.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
its definitely worth grabbing an evga since you can sit in a step-up queue when the next line comes around. although i suppose resell values on these cards should be extremely good, probably higher than what you paid, when its time to upgrade too

for some bizarre reason i really enjoy dreaming about upgrading my PC some day than actually doing it. i could go buy a 3090 today and play nothing but civ 6 on it but i feel like dreaming about the day i will upgrade my 1080ti is going to keep me alive longer

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
its definitely worth grabbing an evga since you can sit in a step-up queue when the next line comes around. although i suppose resell values on these cards should be extremely good, probably higher than what you paid, when its time to upgrade too

for some bizarre reason i really enjoy dreaming about upgrading my PC some day than actually doing it. i could go buy a 3090 today and play nothing but civ 6 on it but i feel like dreaming about the day i will upgrade my 1080ti is going to keep me alive longer
Don't do it. It's not worth it. I went from a Ryzen first-gen 1700 + 1080ti to a 5950x + 3080ti and I've casually had my rig up on FB Marketplace since January seeing if anyone wants to bite and take it for MSRP. I play at 1440p 120hz, lol. I don't need all this stupid shit and could make a PC for half the cost.

All that to say that I for sure have buyer's remorse over the whole thing.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The new intel 12700 are pretty sexy though for 1/2 the cost of the 5950x. Im kinda itching to see what the new ryzens are going to be like. Prolly shit all over the intels again. Like I said a 100x its great to have AMD back in it again which leads to better products at better prices for us.

Im thinking to upgrade my shit to the new 12700 from the 11700 which is a piece of shit compared. Also not sure WTF but either my msi 490 a pro mo-bo or the proc itself is faulty since it back screens and reeboots like once a day. Shit gets super annoying while playing games. And this is the second computer thats doing it, I returned the first.

I got that shit in the amazon shopping cart ready to pull the trigger but kinda curious what the ryzens will be like. Isnt that shit due this year?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Don't do it. It's not worth it. I went from a Ryzen first-gen 1700 + 1080ti to a 5950x + 3080ti and I've casually had my rig up on FB Marketplace since January seeing if anyone wants to bite and take it for MSRP. I play at 1440p 120hz, lol. I don't need all this stupid shit and could make a PC for half the cost.

All that to say that I for sure have buyer's remorse over the whole thing.
Yeah my kid has a 3060 ti and a 3800x and plays games at 1440p and usually gets 100+ fps depending on game.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Im thinking to upgrade my shit to the new 12700 from the 11700 which is a piece of shit compared.
My 12700 was a kickass upgrade from the 9700k I had but just wait for 13th gen Intel/7 gen Ryzen.

Z690 is a bit of a shitshow with memory compatibility. Took like 3 BIOS revisions for me to get stable boots, though oddly once booted it was stable regardless.

But boot-looping 4-7 times to POST was some scary shit.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I read about that misty and I hear the Asus boards dont have the problem, at least with DDR 4 which I will be using from existing stuff. Is this DDR5 problems or DDR4? But yeah I might wait. But that price though $350 for the KF version is pretty enticing. $600 for the upgrade plus a bracket for my AIO.

But honestly if it wasn't for the crash issue Im having I would not even be thinking about upgrade.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I read about that misty and I hear the Asus boards dont have the problem, at least with DDR 4 which I will be using from existing stuff. Is this DDR5 problems or DDR4? But yeah I might wait. But that price though $350 for the KF version is pretty enticing. $600 for the upgrade plus a bracket for my AIO.

But honestly if it wasn't for the crash issue Im having I would not even be thinking about upgrade.
I don't think 3200hz DDR4 has any problems.

I don't think I'd get a KF though. Just wait for the Ks to dip down a bit. Someday you may want to use the device without a GPU, since it's likely going to remain a strong compute platform for a long time.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Bah this shit will prob go to one of my kids when im done with it or just sit in the basement. Ive got plenty of older vid cards sitting around.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The new intel 12700 are pretty sexy though for 1/2 the cost of the 5950x. Im kinda itching to see what the new ryzens are going to be like. Prolly shit all over the intels again. Like I said a 100x its great to have AMD back in it again which leads to better products at better prices for us.

Im thinking to upgrade my shit to the new 12700 from the 11700 which is a piece of shit compared. Also not sure WTF but either my msi 490 a pro mo-bo or the proc itself is faulty since it back screens and reeboots like once a day. Shit gets super annoying while playing games. And this is the second computer thats doing it, I returned the first.

I got that shit in the amazon shopping cart ready to pull the trigger but kinda curious what the ryzens will be like. Isnt that shit due this year?
5800x3D should probably take the crown back from Intel and they haven't even announced the specs on the 7000 series yet.

I'm pissed that you can get a 5950x for the same price I paid for my 5900x now. Feelsbadman.