NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So, does that mean shit to buy on April 1st is going to be 25% cheaper or is there going to be lag from getting new stuff shipped over?
I’m not sure. My guess is we will not see a price reduction immediately from brick and mortar but maybe directly from manufacturers. Then brick and mortar and online have to lower it to compete. This is purely me speculating, I don’t really know.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I would expect at least 6 weeks for it all to shake out, the online stores will want to do as much profit-taking as possible, but you might see some flash deals.

spronk

FPS noob
i thought the reductions were already in place, i've seen a ton of cards drop $100-150 in the past week, i just figured that was the tariffs. The FE's haven't really been in stock anywhere so hard to say but the 3090 ti for example dropped at $2k not $2400

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Does BB still require that stupid $200/year subscription to order FE cards?

spronk

FPS noob
sometimes, didn't today but stock was very low on everything but 3090 ti

there are still tons of AIBs (gigabyte ASUS etc) various 30xx cards in store at best buy, easiest way to see is run the best buy app on mobile, search for RTX GEFORCE, and check the little box at the top for "In store at XXXX" store. Click the city name to change to a different store. One it says are in stock are on the floor and you can go pick up, its not FEs but all the third party cards. Mobile only, yeah its dumb

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
sometimes, didn't today but stock was very low on everything but 3090 ti

there are still tons of AIBs (gigabyte ASUS etc) various 30xx cards in store at best buy, easiest way to see is run the best buy app on mobile, search for RTX GEFORCE, and check the little box at the top for "In store at XXXX" store. Click the city name to change to a different store. One it says are in stock are on the floor and you can go pick up, its not FEs but all the third party cards. Mobile only, yeah its dumb
My Best Buy has 3080ti and some Gigabyte cards. That’s crazy!!

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
anything that's already landed in the US prior to the tariff change should likely continue to be priced to include tariffs, as those are paid when the vessel clears customs before arrival... its a sunk cost and doesn't just go away post April 1 if it's already been paid by the importers.

the tariff change should likely affect anything that clears customs post April 1.

of course, that's just how tariffs are paid in general. who knows if the retailers will end up doing their own thing, as it would be pretty dumb to sell the same item at 2 prices.

it's more likely that the new -tariff inventory may not be sold until all +tariff inventory has been sold

I imagine that inventory is not sitting idle very long anyway, based on demand for the cards to date, so we should hopefully be seeing post-tariff pricing soon

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
anything that's already landed in the US prior to the tariff change should likely continue to be priced to include tariffs,
Apparently the tariff removal is retroactive.

The exclusions will last until Dec. 31, 2022. They're also retroactive and apply to qualifying imports dating back on Oct. 12, 2021. But this is expected to only benefit manufacturers and importers, not consumers.
So they could technically start dropping the price today.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
interesting, but retroactive going back how far?
Will newegg send me a check for the difference on my 3080 purchased last summer? (no)
importers have to pay duty/tariffs when the vessel clears customs, which is before it arrives at port.
if it is in fact retroactive, they will still have to apply for duty/tariff drawbacks since it was already paid. this does not happen immediately, it takes months.
so either the imoporters are going to eat millions of dollars selling tariff'd goods without tariff'd prices, and waiting for their refunds, or they'll just sell the existing landed inventory at current pricing until it's exhausted, then sell the new inventory without tariffs afterward

I know nothing about the industry's strategy for dealing with this, but I import hundreds of containers per year and deal with duty/tariff deferment all the time

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
interesting, but retroactive going back how far?
Will newegg send me a check for the difference on my 3080 purchased last summer? (no)
importers have to pay duty/tariffs when the vessel clears customs, which is before it arrives at port.
if it is in fact retroactive, they will still have to apply for duty/tariff drawbacks since it was already paid. this does not happen immediately, it takes months.
so either the imoporters are going to eat millions of dollars selling tariff'd goods without tariff'd prices, and waiting for their refunds, or they'll just sell the existing landed inventory at current pricing until it's exhausted, then sell the new inventory without tariffs afterward

I know nothing about the industry's strategy for dealing with this, but I import hundreds of containers per year and deal with duty/tariff deferment all the time

Yeah, this scenario seems more feasible from an operations standpoint.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
the retailers will have no problem holding new tariff-free inventory back from sale until they've liquidated the already landed tariff'd goods.
nobody wants to sit on inventory, but it's survivable and people will still buy the cards if it's their only option.

it just doesn't make sense for them to immediately lose return on the 25% tariff they've already paid just to sell Timmy a card at a price he can actually afford without pimping out his sister. They don't love you THAT much. Timmy will buy the $1400 3080 and his sister will help.

With inventory as relatively low as it has been, we likely won't have to wait long for the existing cards to be sold through.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
the retailers will have no problem holding new tariff-free inventory back from sale until they've liquidated the already landed tariff'd goods.
nobody wants to sit on inventory, but it's survivable and people will still buy the cards if it's their only option.

it just doesn't make sense for them to immediately lose return on the 25% tariff they've already paid just to sell Timmy a card at a price he can actually afford without pimping out his sister. They don't love you THAT much. Timmy will buy the $1400 3080 and his sister will help.

With inventory as relatively low as it has been, we likely won't have to wait long for the existing cards to be sold through.
How I get in on this Timmy sister action? Got a line on it?
Parks And Recreation Gimme GIF

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If I can get a 6900XT at close to $1000, I might do that. They are already down to $1200 at Newegg.
I actually had a 6900XT in my cart from AMD direct this morning, $999 and didn't pull the trigger because I wanted a 6800 XT.

But it took over an hour for them to sell out, so try the AMD direct event next Thursday morning.

Judge_Mental

Trakanon Raider

No one in a commodity based business over 300k sales per quarter would "hold product" when you can just take a WAC (weighted average cost) to set your margins and lower the prices gradually as your units become cheaper for the same marginal return.

The smaller businesses that are trying to sell high in a market that is trending down will be fucked but that's why they are small business TBH.

The good news is large stores could hit MSRP by Q3 - when they can actually get replenished in a timely manner.

• 1Like

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
No one in a commodity based business over 300k sales per quarter would "hold product" when you can just take a WAC (weighted average cost) to set your margins and lower the prices gradually as your units become cheaper for the same marginal return.
you're right. and this is why prices are dropping slowly, with retro tariff relief and increasing supply

Last edited: