NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
That only makes up 20% of their profit per the video. They'd have a lot of redundant high level employees unless they massively expanded.

Nope, no video cards at all at least as of now per the ceo.
Unless I heard it wrong, GPUs make up 80% of their revenue but a much smaller percent of their profit. Didn’t give exact numbers, but sounds like their other products are much higher than 20% of their profit.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I wonder if this announcement is putting Nvidia in a really bad spot for their 4000 series launch? EVGA represented a pretty big chunk of their total chip shipments, will they be able to get other AIB's to pick up the slack quickly enough before the sales go to AMD or Intel?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if this announcement is putting Nvidia in a really bad spot for their 4000 series launch? EVGA represented a pretty big chunk of their total chip shipments, will they be able to get other AIB's to pick up the slack quickly enough before the sales go to AMD or Intel?
GPU die allocation for board partners, especially at launch of a new generation, was always a contention point with Nvidia. Now the others will just get more chips from Nvidia to sell.

I think EVGA had a market share of 40% for retail cards, but most of the bulk volume for Nvidia seems to come from unbranded or custom-branded cards for prebuilt systems, e.g. HP, Dell, Lenovo. For example, the Quadro cards you can buy from HP for their systems are made by PNY.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
naa Nvidia should be fine, they have enough AIB's too cover everything, like Neranja said all it does is allocate more for other companies. Also Intel ? lol have you seen the reviews for that amazing "ARC" hahahahahaha

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
6tpzeq.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 3 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
naa Nvidia should be fine, they have enough AIB's too cover everything, like Neranja said all it does is allocate more for other companies. Also Intel ? lol have you seen the reviews for that amazing "ARC" hahahahahaha

Good percentage of new tech sucks in its infancy - Intel may not be new but its new to them, should not have high expectations on initial lineup.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Tho I own an evga 3090Ti I generally don’t give a damn who makes my card as I’ve never had to rma a gpu.
Iirc, neither of us really own a card long enough for it to matter. This'll be the first time ever that I hold onto my 3090ti longer than needed because Im basically going to swap out the 2070 Super in my g/f's PC with it eventually.
Unless I heard it wrong, GPUs make up 80% of their revenue but a much smaller percent of their profit. Didn’t give exact numbers, but sounds like their other products are much higher than 20% of their profit.
If all the cards below the 3090/ti were losing HUNDREDS of dollars, then thats almost a sure bet that the flagship product for Nvidia is whats propping these companies up and.. that sounds awful when you think of how many people buy the bottom tiers vs the top. But like the guys in my classic guild talked about yesterday - we just have nfc what's really happening behind the scenes, much less the profit margin on each individual card after its RND etc. My first though, as well, was that they would go to AMD. But theyre instead ripping out the entire graphics card department, which I find to just be weird af.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
We also have no idea what sort of legal agreements are in place.

EVGA could easily have a contract with NVIDIA stating that EVGA will only sell NVIDIA-based video cards through 202X, and/or Nvidia's 4000 sales mandate 3rd parties have to purchase chips in a, say, 20% 4090, 30% 80, 50% 70 split. If margins are that tight as is, combined with crypto market collapses and a looming global recession (to say nothing of a Taiwan invasion that seems far more plausible than ever before), saying 'Fuck it, I'm out' isn't as preposterous as it sounds at first glance.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Doesn’t EVGA make the FE cards as well? Honestly good for them, fuck Nvidia.

Basically

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Iirc, neither of us really own a card long enough for it to matter. This'll be the first time ever that I hold onto my 3090ti longer than needed because Im basically going to swap out the 2070 Super in my g/f's PC with it eventually.

If all the cards below the 3090/ti were losing HUNDREDS of dollars, then thats almost a sure bet that the flagship product for Nvidia is whats propping these companies up and.. that sounds awful when you think of how many people buy the bottom tiers vs the top. But like the guys in my classic guild talked about yesterday - we just have nfc what's really happening behind the scenes, much less the profit margin on each individual card after its RND etc. My first though, as well, was that they would go to AMD. But theyre instead ripping out the entire graphics card department, which I find to just be weird af.
They are losing money now, they absolutely were not before the gpu price crash. They still made profits over the lifetime of the 3000 series.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tho I own an evga 3090Ti I generally don’t give a damn who makes my card as I’ve never had to rma a gpu.
I never had a problem until last year with a MSI card and it has been a nightmare. They have had some of the worst support I've ever seen. The AMD 5500xt card in my son's system started crashing after a couple months. They require the customer to pay shipping for the RMA. Two months later (it took them a month to even start the repair), they sent me a replacement that was DOA. A month later I get a replacement that had crashing issues again. I sent that one back and was informed a month later they couldn't repair it and they didn't have any same model replacements and started offering me downgrade models. I finally agreed to a 1660 super when it was offered, but in the meantime I had purchased a 3080 for my son's system while we were waiting. We had a working MSI card for a few months in the entire first year.

The 1660 sat for a while after we briefly tested it, and then recently my youngest son started gaming on it... crashes after a few minutes. Tried it in my system and same thing. RMA'd and got it back almost a month later... obvious physical damage to a chip under the heat pipe (looked melted) and the card crashes under load. They finally agreed to pay shipping back to them and we wait again.

TLDR; MSI customer service is terrible and I'll never buy another MSI product again.

• 2Solidarity

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
We also have no idea what sort of legal agreements are in place.
The rumors went like this: The AIBs saw the GPU crypto market crash coming before Nvidia did, because they've been there, and they have the current sales numbers. So they reduced their Ampere chip orders with Nvidia.

Nvidia then told them: We have so much Ampere chips in stock, so order those chips, or else ... you won't get enough Lovelace chips. Basically Nvidia strong-armed them into buying chips for GPUs they knew they couldn't easily sell. Especially with Lovelace on the horizon, recession/inflation and the crypto crash.

Second rumor: Nvidia makes 50% profit off of those high end GPU chips. The AIB board partners can't even begin to compete with the FE cards, which is why those high end cards are losing the AIBs money when Nvidia reduces the prices on their FE cards.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Competing with your own business partners for sales revenue is frequently a bad model that tech companies get themselves trapped in.

My theory would be that Nvidia just wants to be done with business partners and wants to manufacture and sell more of their own cards direct. They may keep some business partners around who want to do high end custom cooling designs with high markups.

Also the whole tariffs thing, I think a bunch of people are ignoring what a monkey wrench that threw into 3rd party partners.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I never had a problem until last year with a MSI card and it has been a nightmare. They have had some of the worst support I've ever seen. The AMD 5500xt card in my son's system started crashing after a couple months. They require the customer to pay shipping for the RMA. Two months later (it took them a month to even start the repair), they sent me a replacement that was DOA. A month later I get a replacement that had crashing issues again. I sent that one back and was informed a month later they couldn't repair it and they didn't have any same model replacements and started offering me downgrade models. I finally agreed to a 1660 super when it was offered, but in the meantime I had purchased a 3080 for my son's system while we were waiting. We had a working MSI card for a few months in the entire first year.

The 1660 sat for a while after we briefly tested it, and then recently my youngest son started gaming on it... crashes after a few minutes. Tried it in my system and same thing. RMA'd and got it back almost a month later... obvious physical damage to a chip under the heat pipe (looked melted) and the card crashes under load. They finally agreed to pay shipping back to them and we wait again.

TLDR; MSI customer service is terrible and I'll never buy another MSI product again.
People forget what a huge difference customer service can make until they need it. Not to call out Xexx but for lots of stuff, MBs or even CPUs, in the past you were dealing with a physical store. Now with all the tales about AIBs while Powercolor prices look good, I hesitate to drop 700+ bucks unless I could walk into Microcenter and mic drop that thing back in their laps. I've been lucky in that regard but it wasn't too that many years ago, (well, relatively speaking) I had two Shuttle Cubes, of which I had built 7 or 8 for me and my friends, died at almost the same time and Shuttle just ignored my calls and emails. How do you get just replacement mobos for the proto all in one in 2006? Just buy a new one? Not at all when if there was an issue I couldn't find anyone to talk to about the problem. There was no social media to complain on. Think it was the Mobos but I had to build two new PCs from scratch. I had loved that company but when I needed them, nothing but crickets. Time hasn't been kind to them, either.

Its just that thing of the manufacturer and how they provide RMA/warranty/customer service support is a decision that mostly doesn't matter until it does, and then its the most critical decision you never knew you were making.

• 2Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The rumors went like this: The AIBs saw the GPU crypto market crash coming before Nvidia did, because they've been there, and they have the current sales numbers. So they reduced their Ampere chip orders with Nvidia.

Nvidia then told them: We have so much Ampere chips in stock, so order those chips, or else ... you won't get enough Lovelace chips. Basically Nvidia strong-armed them into buying chips for GPUs they knew they couldn't easily sell. Especially with Lovelace on the horizon, recession/inflation and the crypto crash.

Second rumor: Nvidia makes 50% profit off of those high end GPU chips. The AIB board partners can't even begin to compete with the FE cards, which is why those high end cards are losing the AIBs money when Nvidia reduces the prices on their FE cards.
Wouldn't be surprised if both are true.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Those are B-stock (used / refurbished) with a one year warranty, not brand new. I would love to see them clearance fresh stock for that price.