NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man I can only hope AMD and Intel don't suddenly decide "Hey look what these idiots will pay for GPUs, we can charge more for CPUs!".

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Grez

Molten Core Raider
Man I can only hope AMD and Intel don't suddenly decide "Hey look what these idiots will pay for GPUs, we can charge more for CPUs!".
Then we'd get a 3rd CPU manufacturer, just like we've now got for GPUs. If an industry has an usually high profit margin, other companies or new companies will attempt to move in and compete.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Then we'd get a 3rd CPU manufacturer, just like we've now got for GPUs. Economics 101.
Yeah, no. We have a third CPU manufacturer; it's Apple and they cost like 4000 dollars for some really cool ARM silicon.

x86/x64 CPUs are just really hard to make. Even with stealing all our tech, Russia and China's best companies can't make one worth a damn.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, no. We have a third CPU manufacturer; it's Apple and they cost like 4000 dollars for some really cool ARM silicon.

x86/x64 CPUs are just really hard to make. Even with stealing all our tech, Russia and China's best companies can't make one worth a damn.
The thing is, about every OS runs on ARM. You have Linux, you have Windows, you have (of course) OSX. And the intel emulation on ARM is competitive enough that you can run pretty much any intel-only app there.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I feel like most models of 4090s haven't even restocked since launch day at many vendors.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Probably decided to work on a TI version and are saving the cores for a +$500 price bump for that version.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm willing to bet nearly all 4090s are FEs and are being sold via Priority Access codes.

Actually looks like Best Buy dropped a bunch of Zotacs on Tuesday as well.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My computer right now still gets the job done, but I really want to upgrade in the next 3 months or so. It is a 2018 era machine with a GTX 1070 card. I don't pay much attention to computer/GPU specs, except every couple years when I need to upgrade to a new machine. So, it is a re-education process each time to get back up to speed.

I was hoping to find a decently priced setup with something like a rtx 3080 in it, but holy shit, those are still stupid expensive. They are 2 year old cards and have a next generation that has surpassed them, yet they are still $900+? What the hell happened to this industry?

spronk

FPS noob
My computer right now still gets the job done, but I really want to upgrade in the next 3 months or so. It is a 2018 era machine with a GTX 1070 card. I don't pay much attention to computer/GPU specs, except every couple years when I need to upgrade to a new machine. So, it is a re-education process each time to get back up to speed.

I was hoping to find a decently priced setup with something like a rtx 3080 in it, but holy shit, those are still stupid expensive. They are 2 year old cards and have a next generation that has surpassed them, yet they are still $900+? What the hell happened to this industry?

if you have nerd friends who have FOMO maybe hit them up, I know a couple guys who sold their old 30xx rigs for cheap as they just bought new prebuilt 4090 PCs

3080 prebuilts can also be had for $1200-2k, just randomly pops up so gotta monitor reddit and stuff to spot them, like this kinda meh deal on an HP Omen with a 3080 RTX for $2050. Pretty sure though in Q1 2023 you'll be able to build out a decent 4080 PC for $2200 or so, nvidia is sitting on a lot of cores.
www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/new/

AMD hit with lawsuits over 7900

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
if you have nerd friends who have FOMO maybe hit them up, I know a couple guys who sold their old 30xx rigs for cheap as they just bought new prebuilt 4090 PCs

3080 prebuilts can also be had for $1200-2k, just randomly pops up so gotta monitor reddit and stuff to spot them, like this kinda meh deal on an HP Omen with a 3080 RTX for $2050. Pretty sure though in Q1 2023 you'll be able to build out a decent 4080 PC for $2200 or so, nvidia is sitting on a lot of cores.
www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/new/

AMD hit with lawsuits over 7900
This is why I bought my 3080 when they hit $600+. I think I am going to sit this gen out completely; nothing I have now makes my want to spend $1000+ on a video card.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Go check out costco, even online. They have some 12th gen intel with 3060 or 3060ti for about a grand. I saw a lenovo 12th gen with a 3070 for about $1300.

Even if yo go the routee of upgrading your shit youre still way above 1K for new mo bo, ram, proc and video card.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob

i've been super happy with my 3080 ti, still don't really see a game for the forseeable future that would make me want to upgrade.

spronk

FPS noob
i got it for $500 from a friends buddy but yeah at msrp a 4080 is better. there are just a ton of people out there upgrading to 4090s who dont care about their older GPUs

nvidia has to be holding back 4090s at this point, tariffs aren't due to kick in again for at least 9 months (assuming Biden doesn't re-disable them) and i don't think best buy has put up 4090 FEs for weeks now. Its a weird game nvidia is playing, trying to artificially control the market.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The 3080 ti was another laughable card. $400 more than a 3080 for like 5%-8% performance. The only reason they ever sold was the lack of 3080s. this is why nvidia needs to take a hit on this shit, quit buying their overpriced gouged cards.

• 1Solidarity

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

I'd consider a 3060 Ti. I think it's at a pretty good price point for the performance. Don't step down to the 3060. That said, I see an MSI 3080 at micro center for $780 right now, fwiw.

It also depends a lot on what resolution you game on. I don't think you really need to stretch unless you're doing 4K.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Intel reorg of gfx division. Head guy demoted.

incoming cancellation in 5...4...3...

• 1Worf

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd consider a 3060 Ti. I think it's at a pretty good price point for the performance. Don't step down to the 3060. That said, I see an MSI 3080 at micro center for $780 right now, fwiw.

It also depends a lot on what resolution you game on. I don't think you really need to stretch unless you're doing 4K.
I just bought a curved 34" ultra wide 4k monitor. So the rest of my shit needs an upgrade, haha.

• 1Like