NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
these are not the msi suprims that I'm looking for

Screenshot_20221230_074424_Firefox.jpg

Otto

Weird. Amazon Warehouse is starting to have various used 4090's show up at 2,000 USD and up.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I am super confused by that build. DDR3 ram, super old CPU and motherboard, and then a $1600 GPU. You can buy DDR5 4800 RAM for only $30-40ish more, easy, and I just bought an 12th gen i9 for $310.

Son, you need some help. It's a good thing you posted this.

Just look at the comparison of that CPU versus a similar cost CPU from this year and a top of the line CPU that's only $200 more (and if you want to spend $1600 on a GPU you might as well go top tier in everything):

1672436081204.png

You have to realize that prices for old shit is expensive because all these shit stores are trying to dupe people who don't know what they're doing. Also, higher number for an item doesn't always mean latest and greatest.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Either he still owns the 9 year old CPU and motherboard or he's trolling us.

Fucker

Log Wizard
People not spending $800+ would be the other major reason.
Crypto, high price, video cards good for most games now. GPU market turned on a dime. Couldn't make them fast enough, then poof! 40% drop in sales. Huang building forts in his backyard out of unsold 4080's.

All the big players scaling TSMC orders way back.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Definitely don't try to cool a modern AMD processor above a 6 core with that 212 Hyper either. That cooler was great, but that was at least half a decade ago.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Crypto, high price, video cards good for most games now. GPU market turned on a dime. Couldn't make them fast enough, then poof! 40% drop in sales. Huang building forts in his backyard out of unsold 4080's.

At this point its just the economy. People had no problem paying insane scalper prices for the 3000 series a year ago, no reason they wouldnt have paid msrp prices for 4080/4090.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Ya. I'm in the camp where my card is waaaay more than I need to play 99% of the games I play.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
At this point its just the economy. People had no problem paying insane scalper prices for the 3000 series a year ago, no reason they wouldnt have paid msrp prices for 4080/4090.
except that most people dont buy a video card every year, and the 3080 generation was the first new rebuild for a lot of PC builders, so it makes sense that there'd be less uptake this year, especially considering the economy.

spronk

FPS noob
may wanna avoid buying a 7800 XTX for now, this guy says long term use may be damaging cards due to thermal issues

he's german so i trust him on engineering and killing polacks

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
As far as I saw for the last week (originally framed as junction temp issues) it affects the reference models straight from AMD, partner AIB boards would have different designs and haven't seen the same issues.

Jovec

?
may wanna avoid buying a 7800 XTX for now, this guy says long term use may be damaging cards due to thermal issues

I picked up a Sapphire 6950XT Nitro Pure for an all AMD build as a sort of pet project a while back. It sucks. Bad coil whine and high delta between Avg C and Junction/Hotspot C under heavy load of around 30C. I repasted the card and changed theremal pads and got that delta down to around 15-17C. I spent way too many hours tuning vram/clocks/vcore and got what I feel was max performance from the card, but for sane noise under gaming I end up lowering everything I can (-10% power, -50mv core, etc) and tweak the fan curve to keep the noise down. I might swap to a GPU AIO or just go full water.

I previously picked up a 6700XT for my linux workstation but that card has monitor compatibility issues with monitors, where it won't turn the display on. Same monitor/cable/computer with NVIDIA works no problem. I thought I might go for a 7900xtx or similar, but now I am hesitant.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

If he's basing this off his own experience then I'd take with a grain of salt. When widespread issues rise up I'd be concerned.

Regardless, your choice is an Nvidia card burning your house down or a AMD failing.

• 1Picard

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If he's basing this off his own experience then I'd take with a grain of salt. When widespread issues rise up I'd be concerned.

Regardless, your choice is an Nvidia card burning your house down or a AMD failing.
Or you could just plug in the Nvidia card correctly.