NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

spronk

FPS noob
if you have a costco near you they have 3060ti and 3070ti machines in store, like this one with a 3060ti is $900

i think its kind of a shit deal though since you are stuck with all the parts, you can't really swap anything out since they use cheap custom stuff that is very tight fit. if you go with something like nzxt, skytech, ibuypower, etc at least you can easier swap stuff around, like today nzxt has this 3080 PC for $1850

which is "ok", $200-300 more than the raw parts but you don't have to spend any time fucking around. 16gb is kinda pathetic though, i'd want 64gb for any new PC but memory is cheap, I paid $150 for 64gb ddr4 last month and SSDs are ridiculously cheap, I see 2TB gen4s for $150 all the time now and 4TBs for $250 or less

if you don't like the idea of building your own just do what i did, buy all the parts yourself and find a local pc assembly shop and they will assemble and test your system out for $50-150. i paid a college kid who works at the local pc shop $150 and he assembled everything, tested it, put the shops good thermal paste, and did an amazing job with cable routing, fan assembly, etc. way cleaner than my dumb ass could ever do it.

use https://pcpartpicker.com/ to assemble your "dream" setup and you can setup alerts for price drops etc on parts.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Gonna need to revisit this thread in a few months. I want to buy a desktop to run BG3 on high settings. Probably don’t need it to be 4K though.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The formula is simple right now, either you have the workload to justify the 4090 / 7900 XTX or you're looking for price drops on older gen (which is not happening on the 3080 so far)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The 3080 ti was another laughable card. $400 more than a 3080 for like 5%-8% performance. The only reason they ever sold was the lack of 3080s. this is why nvidia needs to take a hit on this shit, quit buying their overpriced gouged cards.
The price-to-performance ratio between the 3080 and the 4080 is almost perfectly aligned mathematically.

However, you expect some price-to-performance ratios to improve on generational updates.

Instead, you get a MASSIVE performance per watt improvement (basically double, possibly more in some applications) between the 3080 and the 4080, which does translate effectively into the same thing over the life of the card.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
juice it my oh face GIF

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

nu_11

Microcenter been dripping 4090 stock all week

Looks like they made a big drop of 4090's today, but they're MSIs. I'll probably drop by and see if they have a Zotac

Also, plenty of 4080's have been in stock the last few days

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Microcenter been dripping 4090 stock all week

Looks like they made a big drop of 4090's today, but they're MSIs. I'll probably drop by and see if they have a Zotac

Also, plenty of 4080's have been in stock the last few days
What's wrong with MSI? Do they not perform as well? I've always been pretty happy with any MSI hardware I bought.

nu_11

What's wrong with MSI? Do they not perform as well? I've always been pretty happy with any MSI hardware I bought.
I just like the look of the 4090 Zotac Airo. If I'm spending $1700 I have to get what I want. I also like the MSI Suprim but they don't have that one either

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Dumb me. Can't even see my card when it's in the case. I have a glass side but it's facing the wall. Have a MSI maybe that's why I keep it where I can't see it.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This industry just seems fucked at the moment. Maybe I'll wait another 6 months to upgrade.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Sold my 4090 and trying to hunt down a Red Devil XTX limited for my all AMD build