NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
quite a sticker shock although i guess not really, 3090 ti launched at $1999 so $1600 is actually technically cheaper especially if its way faster.

They are just missing that $400-500 tier that people are used to as a normie gamer, they are just squeezing people for money kinda sad. I'm sure in 8-10 months they'll put out the 4060s and 4070s that will probably be faster than 3090s but sucks for people now that you have to choose between something like a 30x0 at $600-800 or a 4080 at $1200

one huge problem i have to think for nvidia is the real dearth of amazing games that you want to push visuals on. Elden Ring... Callisto Protocol maybe, not really a ton of else for a while?

DLSS 3.0 is exclusive to RTX 40xx

The 12gb 4080 is a different die from the 16gb version - it's actually just what should have been the 4070 with an up-badge price tag on it.

So we already have the "4070" and it's 900$ now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Who will win, scalpers or gamers
Im sure there will be a ton of that shit in the opening months but I think that without the mining boogeyman in the background this time buying up millions of units things will settle more quickly this time around? I mean who knows.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Who will win, scalpers or gamers
2788F7F6-B8FB-40EA-BF80-3131CEA51239.jpeg

• 2Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Remember when Nvidia releaesd reduced hash rate cards and soon after the miners got drivers that allowed them to mine on those cards. Rumor was the drivers came from Nvidia or someone(s) at Nvidia. Now they act like they didn't see the cliff coming with the etherium change.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There had to have been some backroom deals too. Because how the fuck did chinese miners get a hold of hundreds of thousands of units for their farms?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I mean yes, Nvidia was definitely wholesaling cards to mining firms, why wouldn't they?

I don't expect this time around to be nearly as bad though without the very specific Covid fuckery with the actual fab processes.

Combined with crypto being in the toilet and the price of these things already being sky high I would imagine anyone that wants one will get one relatively painlessly.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
When you own the trucks it’s not hard to have things fall off of them.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I hope demand is half of what they expect due to the prices and they eat a bag of dicks because they tried to scalp straight from the storefront.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah TBH Im pretty happy with my 3070 and my 166hz screen I have right now. Most if not all the games I run on this system are upwars of 150+frames. Maybe in the future when I change my screen and go to something like 4K? But even then it would have to be something big because my eyes are not the spring chickens they once were lol.

• 2Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I'll wait til games are produced that actually need them.

My monitor is 5120x1440 @240Hz with a 3080ti. I'm usually pulling about 120FPS in any action games. I'd love to go close to 240 FPS. Though I am wondering if my 5800x is holding me back.

But seriously that's a luxury, and you're correct. I really don't need the damn card. Just want. Pockets bigger than brain, and all that.

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My kid bought himself a 6800xt and seems pretty happy with it. He did have some driver issues at first but I think that was a ID10T error on his part when he switched from Nvidia to AMD he probabaly didnt clean his shit properly. I told him to do so and its been running great ever since on all his games he plays.

• 1Like

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
On paper it sounds so nice to upgrade, but I'm in the same boat where playing all my games in maxed 4k nothing dips below 60FPS or get capped at 120FPS on the OLED anyway so what is the point. 95% of the games released today can be played on a TI-86 with their retro/pixel/cartoony graphics and the other 5% look super sweet, but still don't push any major boundaries. Anyone still chilling on a 1/2 series though is going to be in for a treat though if they make that 4k leap.

Where is our Crysis in the present day? I would dumpster 5 figures on a PC to play nothing but photo-realistic masterpieces.

• 1Like