NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Games today are all done for the current consoles which are PS5 and Xbox X, maybe they have a few PC tweaks to make them better but yeah, they are hamstrung by consolitis. We rarely get full fledged PC titles anymore.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I’ll likely get a few and see what AMD does. I’d like to go all AMD this gen since I plan to do a lot of streaming next year. If all else fails I’ll flip them on eBay because some countries won’t have them at release.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If only there were some good games to play with a shiny new graphics card. Got the 10 series so I could play R6 Siege and PUBG, the 20 to play Tarkov, 30 I've mostl replayed old games, Valheim, C2077, Elden Ring, I can't think of any reason I'd need or want a 40 series.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
If only there were some good games to play with a shiny new graphics card. Got the 10 series so I could play R6 Siege and PUBG, the 20 to play Tarkov, 30 I've mostl replayed old games, Valheim, C2077, Elden Ring, I can't think of any reason I'd need or want a 40 series.

Yeah I can't either. I would have loved to play Elden Ring, but I can't get past the 60FPS lock and no widescreen support.

Last edited:

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I’ll likely get a few and see what AMD does. I’d like to go all AMD this gen since I plan to do a lot of streaming next year. If all else fails I’ll flip them on eBay because some countries will need them for heat.
FTFY

• 1Worf

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
My monitor is 5120x1440 @240Hz with a 3080ti. I'm usually pulling about 120FPS in any action games. I'd love to go close to 240 FPS. Though I am wondering if my 5800x is holding me back.

But seriously that's a luxury, and you're correct. I really don't need the damn card. Just want. Pockets bigger than brain, and all that.
Get HWinfo, MSI afterburner, and Rivatuner, you can get onscreen data for CPU/GPU usage while gaming.

What I have for example, green is GPU (temp, usage, mem), red is CPU (temp, overall usage, highest core usage, mem, highest core clock), blue is water temp.
1663704661300.png

gak

<Gold Donor>
j.jpg

Hopefully some killer app(game) will come through the pipe and force me to upgrade to 4k and grab one of these cards, but at 1440p with a 3090 this is the first launch where I don't feel the itch to write Jensen a check.

j2.gif

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If someone makes a 32inch or smaller OLED or HDR1000 miniled that's actually good and is at least 180 hz, I will definitely buy one of these. If I see a widescreen OLED that I want, I will definitely buy one of these.

But I'm pretty much capped out on my current 240hz 1440p monitor. The most intense games I play run capped out at 138fps and everything older than that easily runs at 240hz.

But I also might buy it just because I'm stupid and want it.

• 1Solidarity

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Feeling really good about my $550 3080 10GB right now.

These prices are retarded and I'll have gamed for 9 months by the time the 4060 is released that comes close to the price/performance.

Oh, and no games will exist that make it necessary to upgrade at 1440p.

Get fucked Nvidia.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
My kid bought himself a 6800xt and seems pretty happy with it. He did have some driver issues at first but I think that was a ID10T error on his part when he switched from Nvidia to AMD he probabaly didnt clean his shit properly. I told him to do so and its been running great ever since on all his games he plays.
Man I've had my 6800xt a while and haven't had a single issue driver side in any game. I know that's just my experience, but have no trouble throwing my money towards AMD again next round. Anxious to see how they fair with ray tracing this series, and price as I have no doubt they'll be much more energy efficient. Would love Nvidia to fall flat on their faces this launch.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Feeling really good about my $550 3080 10GB right now.

These prices are retarded and I'll have gamed for 9 months by the time the 4060 is released that comes close to the price/performance.

Oh, and no games will exist that make it necessary to upgrade at 1440p.

Get fucked Nvidia.

Sad thing is, idiots will buy it in droves. So they will just do it again for the next series.

I think I will wait, then just buy a cheaper 3080 or 3090, as I dont game in 4k or big monitors. Or see what AMD does. If they can come under such inflated prices and put out a GPU in the 500-700 range, since nivida is being an ass with the lower "4080" that is really a 4070, but we named it 4080 so we can charge more. Greedy fucks, but gamers will lap it up like lemmings.

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I mean how is it that within 1-2 generations we went from $500-$600 top end card to $2K, shits fucking crazy.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I can't either. I would have loved to play Elden Ring, but I can't get past the 60FPS lock and no widescreen support.
my guess is that DLSS 3.0 can do 120 fps on 60 fps locked games because it's interpolating those extra frames

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
One thing that these newer GPUs might be good for is ML-based video enhancements. Unfortunately Microsoft barely supports any kind of media functionality on Windows these days, not even Dolby Vision thanks to movie industry BS, so movie watching is kinda blah on Windows, but one app i've played with can increase the frame rate of a video.

It uses the GPU to generate "in-between" frames so you can turn 24 fps anime, movie, tv whatever into something smoother. I bought it, but a 3090 isn't enough to run even double 1080P blu ray rips that well. It kinda works but gets choppy. Maybe a 4090 can do 1080p, maybe a 5090TI will be able to play LOTR 4K @ 48 or 72 FPS, making the battle scenes a lot better. What's interesting about this tech is that the quality of the interpolated frames is pretty much on par with the original so it's all gain and no downside as long as it can keep up with the bitrate.

• 1Picard

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I mean how is it that within 1-2 generations we went from $500-$600 top end card to $2K, shits fucking crazy.
Printing a shitload of money + shutting down production + mining + greed.

I hope demand has tanked enough that the prices have to come back down. I’m not even in the market for a card but I think it’s gotten out of hand and is bullshit.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You think Nvidia watched people pay 1800$ for 3080s during the Covid times and wasn't immediately having internal meetings about all the revenue they were leaving on the table?

Price is what the market will bear, which the last couple years have indicated is easily double what they sold the last generation for.

How much of that was propped up the crypto nonsense? Guess we'll see.

I don't think anyone that owns a 3xxx should even be considering this offering at these prices though

You wanna get real tinfoil about it: these prices are intentionally outlandish to drive further sales of the glut of 3xxx cards still sitting around now that crypto has imploded, and can later be revised down a bit once the back stock of 3xxx is gone. Your bleeding edge adopters will pay whatever the initial sticker is regardless.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
How many people skipped the 2xxx series cards from 1xxx and then into 3xxx. Guessing some could skip the 4xxx.

• 1Solidarity

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
I was hoping for the 4080 to be affordable because I moved to a 4K 120hz TV and the 3060 just can’t do 4K for shit. Guess I’ll just get a 3080 when they do clearance sales.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I was hoping for the 4080 to be affordable because I moved to a 4K 120hz TV and the 3060 just can’t do 4K for shit. Guess I’ll just get a 3080 when they do clearance sales.
That's what's happening right now. I would get a 6900xt, though, because they are the same price and better performance.

Nvidia are shameless fucks who I hope have to lie in the shit bed they have themselves created after the second Crypto boom/bust cycle they rode to billions in profit. Live by the sword, die on that sword. Calling the Legit 4070 "4080 12GB" is a shitheel maneuver that I hope costs them a ridiculous amount of credibility in the marketplace.

Go Team Red. Edit: Who I expect to not gouge as much but still raise prices, with the 7900XT coming in at 1100-1200 dollars and the 7800XT at 800-1000. I could be wrong but it would seem like them leaving money on the table. They could pick up vast amounts of market share if they stayed at a 0 dollar bump 999 for the 7900 and 699 for the 7800XT but I expect them to do a 100 dollar bump.

Last edited:
  • 2Like