NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just recently bought a 4080. Feels bad knowing I’m paying too much, but I’m upgrading from a 970, and I’m not looking to wait six months for maybe a 50 dollar price cut. Even though these 4 series cards should be cheaper, it’s hard to imagine prices really dropping that much. Do you guys really think prices will return to pre-Covid amounts? Usually once stuff gets more expensive it’s rare to see it go back to ‘how it used to be.’

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
The 3080 was an outlier, particularly the FE. It was grossly underpriced which is why I bought one as soon as it was available. It was clearly grossly underpriced because you could never find one. Nvidia "corrected" the situation the shadiest way possible, by cutting producing of 3080s and shifting it to 3080 TIs, which were 1199. 6 months before the 4080 came out, 3080 Tis were flying off the shelves at 1199, and the 4080 is >50% more powerful.
Ok and the 2080 was around $700-$800 and the 3080 was 45% faster. So whats your point? Why are you trying to justify these absurd prices for these cards? Are you just writing down some copium why you bought a 4080 for that absurd price yourself?

The 3080s were flying off shelves for several reasons, not just the price. Uncle sam was putting covid moneys into peoples hands at the time and the bit coin mining was as strong as ever for these fucking cards. Fuck even older cards at the time like 1070s were going for $500 USED. Thats how dry the fucking market was at the time.
1676588950526.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
I just recently bought a 4080. Feels bad knowing I’m paying too much, but I’m upgrading from a 970, and I’m not looking to wait six months for maybe a 50 dollar price cut. Even though these 4 series cards should be cheaper, it’s hard to imagine prices really dropping that much. Do you guys really think prices will return to pre-Covid amounts? Usually once stuff gets more expensive it’s rare to see it go back to ‘how it used to be.’
PC shipments are at a 30 year low. You'd think they would lower prices to stimulate demand, but I guess they like prices where they are.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
PC shipments are at a 30 year low. You'd think they would lower prices to stimulate demand, but I guess they like prices where they are.
Its the same shit in the auto market. These companies finally got the reset they needed to realign supply/demand in their favor across several different industries.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
My local micro center has about a dozen 4090 cards in stock from different manufacturers. Haven't seen it like that ever.

• 1Mother of God

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Indianapolis is finally getting a microcenter. I can’t wait to go see what things I won’t be buying they have in stock.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Indianapolis is finally getting a microcenter. I can’t wait to go see what things I won’t be buying they have in stock.
Really wish they would open one in Las Vegas, now that the Fry's has closed it's really BB or nothing if you want to look/touch something before you buy.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Sadly the only way a Microcenter would be successful near me is if they put a liquor store, wing shop and like a title loan place inside.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Do you know when? I was just in Microcenter in St Louis this afternoon lol. Usually went to the one in Cincinnati on occasion, but would certainly like one closer.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I have one thats like 45 min away. Its close enough I guess. I usually take the kids with me so they can check out the newest shiny shit.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Do you know when? I was just in Microcenter in St Louis this afternoon lol. Usually went to the one in Cincinnati on occasion, but would certainly like one closer.
Not sure, but I assume soon. They’re hiring at the moment. That’s where I saw it.

Singular7

Molten Core Raider
A 1070 in 4k... Have you played a game made in the last decade?

30fps, but mostly was playing city builders and some GTAO the last few years, and mostly played that with a 30" 60hz HP I bought a decade ago :)

Obviously, the 4080 is noticeably better and I can play cyberpunk now

• 1Worf

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sadly the only way a Microcenter would be successful near me is if they put a liquor store, wing shop and like a title loan place inside.
I figured out my area was the exact same when I was trying to flip computer parts during COVID. It was miserable sometimes trying to sell anything. Bunch of dumb ass mongoloids. Lol

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Finally caved and ordered a new computer. Installing things now. Got a 4090 ASUS tuf OC or whatever it was called. It takes up most of the insides. Also i9 13900k and 4gb of ssd (7300/7000 thingy).

First notice. On first look, don't like win 11. Also all my programs and shortcuts are a massive hassle. Spent an hour now resetting passwords and getting shortcuts to work. Phone is spammed with so many codes...

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Worf

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Finally caved and ordered a new computer. Installing things now. Got a 4090 ASUS tuf OC or whatever it was called. It takes up most of the insides. Also i9 13900k and 4gb of ssd (7300/7000 thingy).

First notice. On first look, don't like win 11. Also all my programs and shortcuts are a massive hassle. Spent an hour now resetting passwords and getting shortcuts to work. Phone is spammed with so many codes...
Windows 11 is terrible. MS is still on the every other OS version bad™ program. My Corp has a high end contract with MS for services and I give our reps, who are really friends at this point "feedback" about it. They still love me from the Skype->Teams upgrade where we lost several important pieces of functionality for no reason: Teams just seemingly copied Slack rather than the strengths of their own product. Same thing with Windows 11: They copied as much Mac OS as possible seemingly, center taskbar and grouped taskbar icons and fonts and everything.

I may just skip RDNA3/4000 generation completely but the way things are sitting on shelves (you can walk in and buy one of any card at Microcenter at Houston), I would expect there to be price cuts or new products coming this year.