NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I feel the exact opposite. 4 year old laptops are slow as shit. Your company must be buying the wrong laptops. You want workstations with H or HK series CPUs, not U or G series CPUs. The 12XXXH and 13XXXH series laptop CPUs are so unbelievably fast and efficient compared to any previous laptop-workstation class CPUs.
One im running at home with right now, about 2 yrs old now maybe 3? Got it around 2020-21covid lockdowns... is a Lenovo with W-2235, 32768RAM, Quadro RTX4000, WD SN730 NVMe.

Edit: We had out own CAD IT dude back when these things were being ordered and he did a test, on my system, tracking what my usage was for RAM, Proc, video..etc... And suprisingly it does not take too much to run the CAD system I run, Siemens NX 10.0. It only gets hairy with RAM when you load up huge ass assemblies, basically like 1/2 the car, which we never do anyway.

The group that uses the baller Workstations is the ones that run the FEA simulations on shit like Crashes, Head impact and all that shit. It ususally takes their systems, top of the line, like 24 hrs or more, to run those simulations.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
One im running at home with right now, about 2 yrs old now maybe 3? Got it around 2020-21covid lockdowns... is a Lenovo with W-2235, 32768RAM, Quadro RTX4000, WD SN730 NVMe.
W-2235 Launch Date Q4'19, there's definitely much better out there these days. I'm not really sure I've ever understood the Xeon laptop SKUs though.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well it was definitely in 20 or 21 I got this thing and im sure ill be holding it for a few years longer now that The IT dude is gone which made sure us CAD dedicated engineers got our shit first. And this is not a laptop, its a desktop. But who knows whose ordering these things for us anymore. I dont even know if they are tracking WTF is going on with these things, like me having one at home, lol. All I know is we have a yearly budget and it either gets spent or it goes away, so you bet your ass someone is ordering up some shit. Besides, I have 2 now, one at home and one at work, lol.

Last edited:

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A virtual host machine for 100 laptops is more expensive than 100 laptops, especially if you have a lot of employees working remotely and paying for their own electricity. It gets exponentially worse as you scale up too.
I wouldnt have imagined it would have been that expensive. But Ive never been on the deciding end of a deal between a tech firm and any business to know. As the last job I had that used virtual machines, I was the regional finance manager. The business had 9 different dealerships with 15-25 PC's between them - all dumpster fire PC's but there was little to no lag when it came to loading up any of the business software that was being hosted. I figured this option would be cheaper than leasing 200-300 mediocre PC's from Dell.

I also know that that auto group used a Technical and Security firm to handle their PC's - so its possible, I guess...(?) that that firm is renting out the use of the Virtual Machine stuff to multiple businesses. Whatever you log into the desktop as assigns your business, so I guess it wouldnt be too far fetched.
I feel the exact opposite. 4 year old laptops are slow as shit. Your company must be buying the wrong laptops. You want workstations with H or HK series CPUs, not U or G series CPUs. The 12XXXH and 13XXXH series laptop CPUs are so unbelievably fast and efficient compared to any previous laptop-workstation class CPUs.
As mentioned above - doesnt Dell and similar companies do a leasing program with bigger businesses? I feel like a business that needs fast PC's having their PC's swapped out for brand new ones every 36 months (or w/e the term) would be a cheaper way to keep everything updated, uniform, and secure?...

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
As mentioned above - doesnt Dell and similar companies do a leasing program with bigger businesses? I feel like a business that needs fast PC's having their PC's swapped out for brand new ones every 36 months (or w/e the term) would be a cheaper way to keep everything updated, uniform, and secure?...
We buy all of our shit so they can hand them down. Its been our model since ive been working there for almost 25 yrs. Hard core users get the new good shit and their old stuff gets passed down to not so hard core users. etc... Of course there is an expiration tag on all equipment eventually, but its been working out fine for our group. Not sure what other groups within our company do. They also internally wipe and re-image all of the computers, new and old. They get a lot more mileage out of the purchase this way rather than leasing.

BTW the cad shit we use, and we have to use this specific version because of our #1 customer is Siemens NX 11.0 which was released in 2016. ITs forward compatible, but not backwards. So if we used a moe recent version we could import all of ourtr customers shit just fine, but they would not be able to read our shit. And its a pretty quick and responsive cad system that is not a resource hog. So any comp after 2016 is just a bonus in making it run a bit better and faster. All the other micosoft is also 2016 version and it all runs fine, like spreadsheets, PP, outlook, etc run just fine.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
We buy all of our shit so they can hand them down. Its been our model since ive been working there for almost 25 yrs. Hard core users get the new good shit and their old stuff gets passed down to not so hard core users. etc... Of course there is an expiration tag on all equipment eventually, but its been working out fine for our group. Not sure what other groups within our company do. They also internally wipe and re-image all of the computers, new and old. They get a lot more mileage out of the purchase this way rather than leasing.

BTW the cad shit we use, and we have to use this specific version because of our #1 customer is Siemens NX 11.0 which was released in 2016. ITs forward compatible, but not backwards. So if we used a moe recent version we could import all of ourtr customers shit just fine, but they would not be able to read our shit. And its a pretty quick and responsive cad system that is not a resource hog. So any comp after 2016 is just a bonus in making it run a bit better and faster. All the other micosoft is also 2016 version and it all runs fine, like spreadsheets, PP, outlook, etc run just fine.

using CATIA at work makes me want to shoot myself

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
using CATIA at work makes me want to shoot myself
NX is sooo much better than Catia, especially for solid modeling. Surface hands down Catia has NX beat, but for solids its like 1000% easier. I worked on Catia back in the early 2Ks when Chrysler first switched to Catia V5 from Catia V4. I worked on a Front Door trim panel.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Oooof. 8GB cards? What's the fucking point?
Getting access to features like DLAA, DLSS Framegen, being generally fast and efficient?

For people just playing Apex and Valorant, it's probably great.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Getting access to features like DLAA, DLSS Framegen, being generally fast and efficient?

For people just playing Apex and Valorant, it's probably great.
8GB just gets chewed through in modern games though, even at 1080p, let alone 1440+.

The 16GB version at $500 in July is very intriguing though.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
The frame rate is a lie, it's all DLSS frame generation.
1684540225102.png

1684540198278.png

Last edited: