NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
This whole thread and no one called on the Emperor? SHAME:
power remake GIF

NVIDIA is in trouble because they are 80% of the market and all those miner cards are going to still be around come Q3/Q4/Q1 23. They rode the wave up and now they are going to ride it down. Meanwhile, AMD is reportedly going to be feature competitive and way more efficient this time. With no mining boost, its going to be interesting how this all shakes out. No Free COVID bucks, no miners sucking up every card on the planet, recession in the offing, lets see if this isn't the first release since the 1080Ti where there is actual availability.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
don't people say every GPU cycle "nvidia is in trouble, its AMDs time to shine" and it never happens

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
AMD/ATI driver updates still scare me for my main rig. I have one in the media PC but if it isn't updated , who cares as long as it plays the movies.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The kid has had his 6800xt for a while now and there is def some probs with some games. Like last night for example his Fallout 4 was getting like 28fps. So fucking around with it he did a driver cleaner, reinstall, and BAM, all of a sudden hes getting 160 fps. So yeah still probs with AMD drivers and shit. For instance he cant even get his dying light 2 to work.

You just dont see this shit with nvidia. Install new drivers and all the shit just works.

• 1Solidarity

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
This whole thread and no one called on the Emperor? SHAME:
power remake GIF

NVIDIA is in trouble because they are 80% of the market and all those miner cards are going to still be around come Q3/Q4/Q1 23. They rode the wave up and now they are going to ride it down. Meanwhile, AMD is reportedly going to be feature competitive and way more efficient this time. With no mining boost, its going to be interesting how this all shakes out. No Free COVID bucks, no miners sucking up every card on the planet, recession in the offing, lets see if this isn't the first release since the 1080Ti where there is actual availability.

• 1Solidarity

Xerge

<Donor>
The kid has had his 6800xt for a while now and there is def some probs with some games. Like last night for example his Fallout 4 was getting like 28fps. So fucking around with it he did a driver cleaner, reinstall, and BAM, all of a sudden hes getting 160 fps. So yeah still probs with AMD drivers and shit. For instance he cant even get his dying light 2 to work.

You just dont see this shit with nvidia. Install new drivers and all the shit just works.
Similar issues but with 6700xt; got it on sale but i'll be back to team green next gen.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>

Not necessarily. I had this same issue with a 1070 GTX EVGA - things started to stutter after about 7 or so driver updates when I didn't do a clean install - did a clean install and it cleared right up.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it's mostly anecdotal I reckon - I had a 3080 and 6800XT this gen and preferred both the AMD card, and easily the Radeon software suite. That said, the 3080 did make Cyberpunk run and look like a dream with full RT etc. Next gen I'd ideally like to stick to AMD but we'll see when the time comes.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If we can get more performance with similar power draw…cool.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Probably going to be less powerfull then. Looing forward to RTX 50x0 cards, yo.
RTX 3080/3080ti/3090 can be undervolted by 30% and lose <3% performance.

Basically, getting the last few mhz of boost clocks 100% stable takes a massive amount of power.

So they have a lot of tweaking room, either lowering boost clocks, or stabilizing some other way like better voltage regulation.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Basically, getting the last few mhz of boost clocks 100% stable takes a massive amount of power.

So they have a lot of tweaking room, either lowering boost clocks, or stabilizing some other way like better voltage regulation.
I have a 3070 :(

Izo

Tranny Chaser

I memba how it's s'posed to be done.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
If you are undervolting an EVGA card and have worse temps then you anticipated, make sure all of your fans are spinning.

Just using Afterburner only 2 of my 3 fans were spinning so I had to install EVGA's PrecisionX1, ensure all 3 fans were spinning, then return to Afterburner and set my fan curve and undervolt. Now everything is running sweet.

3080 XC3 Ultra for reference.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There was 8/10/12 for 3080s, this would actually be cutting that down to only two.