NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
SLI is actually a pretty bad idea given the power and heat consumption vs. the actual gains to be had.

That said, I can't see a reason to upgrade from a 3080Ti. At this stage is purely about 4-5k.

The worst part was the driver support for new games wasn't usually there for a couple weeks sometimes and even then game devs would sometimes require fixes that would take longer. Quite often I'd be done a game before support was available.which made being an early adopter of 2560x1600 terrible.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
A8871CE8-26C3-49B7-850C-872B1C5E5750.png

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I have a feeling that we are heading to the point in a couple of gpu gens where the traditional gpus are gone and instead we'll essentially have a sceond motherboard for the gpu with maybe even an option for a separate psu. cpu and gpu board will be connected with some sort of new pcie bridge. The new gpu boards have many possible ways they could go. maybe you just buy a new gpu just like you buy a cpu, memory could be like it is now on motherboards, you buy them as sticks. Or maybe it's just all in one like gpus are now but not mounted on motherboards directly. Cooling will probably be all liquid.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I have a feeling that we are heading to the point in a couple of gpu gens where the traditional gpus are gone and instead we'll essentially have a sceond motherboard for the gpu with maybe even an option for a separate psu. cpu and gpu board will be connected with some sort of new pcie bridge. The new gpu boards have many possible ways they could go. maybe you just buy a new gpu just like you buy a cpu, memory could be like it is now on motherboards, you buy them as sticks. Or maybe it's just all in one like gpus are now but not mounted on motherboards directly. Cooling will probably be all liquid.
Are you drunk or do you just not know anything about electrical engineering?

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>

I may be hung over, yes but I will save your comment for just in case I need to throw it back at you around 2028. You never know

• 1Midwit
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
GDDR6X has looser signaling requirements than GDDR6. Don't know if that could translate into stick mounted memory or not. Either way, it isn't an issue because no one would do it or even want to.

The idea of having a GPU on its own mainboard is not a new one, and it has merit. They are trying to cram too much power and too much cooling into too small of an area for high end cards.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Dude what the fuck

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

katt-williams-confused.gif

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Tide27

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So what is the consensus on buying a 3090ti vs maybe a 4090? I haven't upgraded in a few generations and currently have a 1080ti. Mostly game at 4k on a 48inch C1 monitor.

Since I think that graphics have about hit their limit, I don't plan on upgrading again for another 4 to 5 years.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So what is the consensus on buying a 3090ti vs maybe a 4090? I haven't upgraded in a few generations and currently have a 1080ti. Mostly game at 4k on a 48inch C1 monitor.

Since I think that graphics have about hit their limit, I don't plan on upgrading again for another 4 to 5 years.
Uh definitely wait if you're looking to buy something that top-end. The 4090 is a true flagship card. The real questionable value proposition is the 2 4080 series cards.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
i am feeling more and more waiting for the 4070 in spring 2023 will be the smart move. it'll probably perform just a tad bit under the 4080 but be priced far better. They will probably put out a 4080ti and/or a 4090ti around the same time too for crazy prices, but those cards would make buying a 4090 be the "man i fucked up" regret.

barring that though, if you gotta get a card in the next month either the unrevealed AMD cards or a 4090 seems like the way to go. 4080 is $1200 while 4090 is "only" $1600 but superior performance for "only" $400 more plus you'll be able to get it Oct 12th while 4080 is weeks away.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'd love for Intel to actually become a player in the GPU space but holy fuck this is not a good first showing

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider

Already avail for Laptops, with USB-C and Thunderbolt they actually work really good. Considering it's just a basic enclosure for the card.

As far as Hardware customization though.. doubt it will ever happen, at least in my lifetime.

Last edited: